• Aircraft is any craft that flies through the air, whether it be an airplane, helicopter, missile, glider, balloon, or any other vehicle that uses the air to generate lift for flight.• Propulsion means the action of driving or pushing forward. Jet propulsion is used in the most of the Aircrafts.
• Gas turbines are used for aircraft propulsion system because they are light and compact and have a very high power to weight ratio.
• Aircraft gas turbines operates on an open cycle called “jet propulsion cycle”, which can be of turbojet engine, ramjet engine, turbofan engine or turboprop engine.
• High velocity air first flow through diffuser where it is decelerated increasing its pressure air is then compressed in the compressor.
The air is mixed with fuel in the combustionchamber, where the mixture is burned atconstant pressure .
• The high pressure high temperature combustion gases partially expand in the turbine producing enough power to drive the compressor and auxiliary equipment. Finally the gases expand in the nozzle to the ambient pressure and leave the aircraft at high velocity.
When the work output of the gas turbineplant is used to produce high velocity jet ofhot gasses and this jet is used to propel (topush or move something with a lot of force)the vehicles in which the systems aremounted, such systems are known as
In this system, full expansion takesplace in the turbine, and total power developed byturbine is used to drive the compressor and thepropeller, power supplied to propeller is controlled bycontrolling the supply of fuel in the combustionchamber. The rate of efficiency of screw propeller ishigher at lower speed but the efficiency falls rapidly athigher speed above the sonic velocity.
i. Thermodynamics by P. K. Nagii. Engineering Thermodynamics 3rd edition in S.I. Units by R.K. Rajputiii. Thermodynamics - An Engineering Approach, 5Th Cengal Bolesiv. Thermal engineering by Domkundwarv. http://www.grc.nasa.gov
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.