First Night: Four Fairy TalesRetold• La Belle RoseOk, so you all know the story of Beauty and the Beast.Beauty’s father stumbles upon a mansion in the woods andprays for his life to be spared from the wolves. This is whereBeast lives. The gate opens letting him in; furthermore there isa garden where located in it is a single red rose just likeBeauty wanted
He plucks the rose and Beast tells him that will take a lifefor a life, so he chooses Beauty. Beauty goes to Beast.She falls in love with him and they live happily ever afteror so you thought.
• The Briar RoseThe Briar Rose is the classic saga of Sleeping Beauty.There is Princess Aurora and her handsome champion isPhillippe. It is told that on Princess Aurora’sseventeenth birthday she will prick her finger and die
• The youngest fairy attending the coronation steps forwardand casts a spell that on Princess Aurora’s seventeenthbirthday when she pricks her finger she will not die butinstead fall into a deep slumber till her handsome princekisses her to waken her.
• Eleanor of the AshesIn this tale Eleanor is Cinderella andRaphael is the prince. Eleanor has todeal with her evil step-mother andstep-sisters after the death of herfather. She has everything taken awayfrom her and has to live in the attic
• Eleanor gets invited to the ball the prince is giving. Herevil step-mother will not allow her to attend.Luckily, Eleanor will not stand by so idly while her step-mother and step-sisters attend.
the Woodman’s daughterThis tale is about the beautifulManon, the woodman’sdaughter. She was tall, hadraven colored hair and blackeyes. In seven days, she is tomarry Angelus, who ishandsome, wealthy, and theman Manon is intended tomarry
• One day a little bird comesto Manon and tells her thereis something she must see ather soon-to-be-groom’shouse. There she finds asurprise in addition tolearning something terribleabout her intended.
• In La Belle Rose the new twistthat was presented was a good one.It had just the right amount ofeverything, whether it is romancebetween Beauty and Beast or theextra something that was includedin the story. I enjoyed reading LaBelle Rose. I have to say that LaBella Rose was probably the one Iliked the most.
• The Briar Rose was mysecond favorite fairy tale thatwas redone by CarolineAubrey. Both the leading ladyand leading man had equalparts. That is a fine thing. Ionly wish that The Briar Rosecould have lasted longer.
• I was glad to read Eleanor of theAshes. Because what is a novelabout fairy tales if it does notinclude Cinderella! The story wasfine as were Eleanor and theprince, but I thought Eleanor wasthe stronger of the two characters.I am always glad to read aboutstrong women but just wished theprince was a little more dominant inEleanor of the Ashes.
• Manon in The Woodman’s Daughter was a greatcharacter. She grew up into a strong woman. Therelationship between Manon and Angelus was a good one.I have to say I don’t remember The Woodman’s Daughtertale, but from what I read it was a very good version.
•I don’t know whether itwasn’t enough buildwas that they weren’tlong enough,. I thinkwhat it was for me isthere The concept andidea of retelling fourfairy tales was great.Unfortunately therewas just somethingabout the stories thatmissed its mark.
The concept and idea ofretelling four fairy taleswas great.