How to keep yourself healthy in rainy seasonDocument Transcript
Rainy season is not considered favorable from
the health perspective. But despite that, we
can keep ourselves healthy even in this season
by following some of the tips regarding health
and food habits.
According to Ayurveda, there is increased
collection of gall in the body and problem of
gas also persists in this season. For this
reason, digestion capacity of the body is
reduced. Naturally, the increased amount of
moisture in the environment affects the body
adversely. Due to increased humidity level in
the environment, the number of bacteria also
increases rapidly. Lots of mosquito, flies and
virus start proliferating due to polluted
environment and contaminated water.
For this very reason the probability of catching
infections and diseases is very high in this
season. Infections reduce the natural immunity
level of the body. A few of the very common
diseases of this season are cough, cold, flu,
poor digestion, jaundice, typhoid, and
dysentery. Besides, skin related problems such
as abscess, prickly heat, and eczema are also
What to eat:
• Eating fresh, clean, hot and easily digestible
foods is good for health.
• Having old cereals, old rice, moong pulse and
ghee is also healthy.
• Pin gourd, tindsi, ridge gourd, bottle gourd,
pumpkin, bitter gourd, and drumstick should
• Roasted corn with lemon and salt is good for
• Ginger, lemon, garlic, onion, mint and green
chilies are good.
• Mango, blackberry, gooseberry and litchi are
healthy foods of this season.
• Take myroblan powder with rock salt. In the
same way, myroblan (chhoti harad) powder
with currant and rock salt is also very good for
health in this season.
What not to eat:
Avoid having stale food in this season. Don’t
eat cut fruits kept in open. In same way, fried
and oil-rich foods such as parantha, pakoda,
chat, samosa and khasta should also be
avoided. Try not to eat leafy vegetables.
Avoiding curd and foods made of curd will also
What to do:
• Drink boiled and cooled water.
• Wear loose cotton garments.
• Wear slippers instead of shoes.
• Roaming in sunlight can be harmful.
• Sleep under a mosquito net.
• Apply some fragrance on the body, such as
What not to do:
• Don’t get wet in rain water and avoid
sleeping under open sky.
• Don’t wear tight, heavy or synthetic
• Don’t wear wet clothes.
Some of the main diseases of rainy season,
their symptoms and remedies are:
Dysentery: People often suffer from
dysentery in this season due to bad food habits
and contaminated water. In this disease,
patient feels stomach ache and suffers from
loose motions. In some cases it may also
cause dehydration in the body. To avoid or
control dehydration, patient should drink ORS,
water, suspension made of water, sugar and
salt, lentil soup, starch water and fruit juices.
Jaundice: In this disease, the following
symptoms can be observed: stomach ache,
body ache, yellowness in urine, yellowness in
eyes, and vomiting. To control or treat this
disease, the patient should drink boiled water,
starch water or rice juice. Potato, lemon,
radish and sugarcane should be consumed in
good quantities. Ghee, oil and other fried stuff
must be strictly avoided. Following Ayurvedic
medicines can also be taken on the advice of a
health consultant or doctor only: punarnava,
mandoor, arogyavardhini vati, kumari aasav
Skin Diseases: In this season, lack of
cleanliness is biggest enemy of our health.
During rainy season, bacteria become more
active due to muck and moisture, which
primarily causes prickly heat, abscess, eczema,
urticaria etc. Putting ice on the affected area of
skin can provide symptomatic relief in case of
skin problems. Application of coconut oil mixed
with camphor upon affected area can also be
How to protect yourself:
• Bath with margosa (neem) water every day.
• Don’t wear wet or synthetic garments.
• Clean underarms and thigh area thoroughly
• Don’t use combs and towels of others.
• Massage with mustard oil, margosa oil, or
coconut oil; also add camphor in it.
• Take khadirarishth, gandhak rasayan,
panchtikta guggulu, somraji oil,
mahamarichyadi and jaatyadi oil upon advice
of your doctor only.