Presented by : Deep Kaneriya
Snehil Saranam Guided by :-
Pratik More Prof. Deepa Hosur
Germany: Bayerische Motoren Werke AG
English: Bavarian Motor Works (BMW)
-BMW is a German Automobile,
Motorcycle and Engine
manufacturing company founded
-BMW head quarters is located at
the munich ,germany.
-The founder of the company is
FRANZ JOSEF POPP.
• BMW was founded in 1913 to manufacture
aircraft engines in the Munich.
• 1928, BMW set up a car manufacturing unit and
started manufacturing a small car called 'Dixi’ .
• It was BMW's first car and was marketed under
the name BMW 3/15.
• 328 roadster, were considered very advanced for
their time, and the roadster was even nominated
as the 'Car of the Century' in 1999.
• 1961- launch of BMW 1500 a trendy sporting car
• 1973- first overseas plant in south Africa
• 1982- 1st euro car maker to set up subsidy in Japan
• 1992- BMW outsold Mercedes Benz for the first time in
• 1993- BMW entered into joint venture with Rolls-Royce
• 2003- BMW launched rolls Royce Phantom this high
priced model around US $3,30,000 (₹ 2 Crores)
• 2005- BMW sold a record breaking 769 units world wide
The Curve Effect
• Christopher bangle chief designer brought our cars with
more curvy designs which he called “flame surfacing”
• Widely criticized by traditional designers they called
• Despite the criticism BMW sales increase year by year
• This design was copied by rivals Lexus and Mercedes
• Main competitors Alfa romeo , audi , infiniti ,jaguar ,lexus
• BMW LLC a subsidiary was established in USA 1975 it
imported BMW mini rolls Royce cars and motor cycles
FIXING WHAT AIN’T BROKEN
• “Company of Ideas" advertising campaign was unveiled
in may 2006
• Wanted to take their brand beyond its traditional
association with “YUPPIES”
• 2005 BMW LLC record annual sales of 3,07,020 vehicles
in the us up 4% over 2,96,111 vehicle sold in 2004
• bmw llc felt that almost 75% luxery car buyers in the u.s.
were not considering as they still strongly associated
BMW – The Ultimate Driving Machine
• The original German slogan Freude am Fahren
Whch means “joy in driving”
• second largest selling European luxury car in
• consistency of the communication and logo
• BMW has been the ultimate driving machine for 25
• three separate advertising agencies
• even though BMW retained its strategy .
Waiting For The Rest Of The World To
• "They get there through passion and inspiration -- they
aren't hindered by idea-killing bureaucracy.“
• BMW showcased its environmental sensitivity
advertisements(eg: 745h hydrogen car).
• They placed their ads in lifestyle publications as well as in
magazines like Vogue, The Economist, Vanity fair etc.
• A Jackson Pollock painting thrown in a dumpster.
BMW’s Print Ads
• NO: Say “no” to compromise and say “yes” to
• MATCH: BMW has the freedom to build cars the
way it wants to build them.
• AIRBAGS: "Ideas don't have airbags to protect
• RISKY: : A print ad prominently featuring a BMW 7
Series vehicle with the tag line "Not taking risks is
BMW’s TV ads
• OVERTHINKERS: A shot of the Leipzig plant is
seen with a voiceover explaining, "at BMW ideas are
• EUPHEMISMS: The ad focused on teaching a
lesson to their counterparts without being too
• ENEMY OF IDEAS: The ad that portrayed
personality types, who created barriers to creativity.