Some of the evidence we have gathered on the former existence of the sunken continent of Atlantis. There are so many clues and soincredible, once they are booted out, that it washard to make a selection that fits in the present project.
Atlantis (in Greek, Ἀ τλαντὶ ς νῆ σος, "island of Atlas") is a legendary island first mentioned in Platos dialogues Timaeus and Critias. However, the truth appears to be that the entire myth was created by Plato about 350 BCE when he described the island in two of his dialogues, Timaeus and Critias.
• Around 350 BC, Plato was the first to write about this somewhat magical island.• In Plato’s account, Atlantis was a naval power lying “in front of the pillars of Hercules” that conquered many parts of western Europe and Africa 9000 years before the time of solon, or about 9600BC• After a failed attempt to invade Athens, Atlantis sank into the ocean “in a single day and night of misfortune”
• Over 11000 years ago in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean there was an island inhabited by great and wealthy people.• Then greed started to take over them and they were obsessed with money.• Poseidon, the god of water, got mad at them for being obsessed with money. So he made the ocean cover the city of Atlantis and it was gone with the sea. info from the book Unsolved Mysteries Atlantis.
• Since Donnellys day, there have been dozens of locations proposed for Atlantis, to the point where the name has become a generic concept, divorced from the specifics of Platos account. This is reflected in the fact that many proposed sites are not within the Atlantic at all. Few today are scholarly or archaeological hypotheses, while others have been made by psychic or other pseudoscientific means. Many of the proposed sites share some of the characteristics of the Atlantis story (water, catastrophic end, relevant time period), but none has been demonstrated to be a true historical Atlantis.
• According to Plato, the island of Atlantis was at the top of an underwater volcano and shaped like a doughnut and that is where king built his tempel.• When the volcano erupted , the island was destroyed but the continent remained joined.
• Most of the historically proposed locations are in or near the Mediterranean Sea.The Thera eruption, dated to the 17th or 16th century BC, caused a large tsunami that experts hypothesize devastated the Minoan civilization on the nearby island of Crete, further leading some to believe that this may have been the catastrophe that inspired the story. A. G. Galanopoulos argued that Platos dating of 9,000 years before Solons time was the result of an error in translation, probably from Egyptian into Greek, which produced "thousands" instead of "hundreds". Such an error would also rescale Platos Atlantis to the size of Crete, while leaving the city the size of the crater on Thera; 900 years before Solon would be the 15th century BC
• The location of Atlantis in the Atlantic Ocean has certain appeal given the closely related names. Popular culture often places Atlantis there, perpetuating the original Platonic setting. Several hypotheses place the sunken island in northern Europe, including Doggerland in the North Sea, and Sweden. Some have proposed the Celtic Shelf and Andalusia as possible locations, and that there is a link to Ireland.The Canary Islands and Madeira Islands have also been identified as a possible location, west of the Straits of Gibraltar but in proximity to the Mediterranean Sea.
• Several writers have speculated that Antarctica is the site of Atlantis, while others have proposed Caribbean locations such as Batabano Bay south of Cuba, the Bahamas, and the Bermuda Triangle.Areas in the Pacific and Indian Oceans have also been proposed including Indonesia (i.e. Sundaland).The stories of a lost continent off India named "Kumari Kandam" have inspired some to draw parallels to Atlantis, as has the Yonaguni Monument of Japan.
• The secrets of the lost city that may have inspired one of the world’s most enduring myths- The Fable Of Atlantis- have been brought to light from beneath the waters off southern Greece.
• Divers explores the sunken settlement beneath the water off southern Greece .
• Explored by an Anglo-Greek team of archaeologists and marine geologist and known as Pavlopetri, the sunken settlement dates back some 5000 years to the same time of Homer’s hero and in terms of size and wealth of detail is unprecedented ,experts say• Discovered by a British oceanographer some 40 years ago, it was only this year that marine archaeologists ,aided by digital technology, were able to properly survey the ruins.• “There is no doubt that it is the oldest submerged town in the world,” said Dr. Henderson, associate professor of underwater archaeology at the university of Nottingham.” It has remains dating from 2800 to1200 BC.”• There are older sunken sites in the world but none can be considered to planned towns such as this, Which is why it is unique.”
• “It is significant as a submerged site it was never reoccupied,” said Elias Spondylis, who co-directed the survey as the head of Greece underwater antiquities department.• Marine geologists have yet to work out why the settlement sank. Theories include sea level changes, ground subsidence as a result of earthquakes or a tsunami.
• It is first time a sunken city has been discovered in Greece that was found before the time that Plato wrote his tale of the sunken continent of Atlantis.• “Atlantis was a myth but it is a myth that keeps underwater exploration going,” said Sakellariou. “Less than 1% of the world’s ocean floors have ever been surveyed. This is a marvelous find but there is still a lot down there that has to be found.”
• The exploration revealed a world of buildings, courtyards, main street , rock cut tombs and religious structures.• The seabed was filled with thousand of shards (broken pieces) of pottery.
• The possible existence of a “real” Atlantis was discussed throughout classical antiquity.• Alan Cameron states: “It is only in modern times that people have taken the Atlantis story seriously: no one did so in antiquity.”• Atlantis inspires today’s literature; from science fiction to comic books to movies.
The ocean which seems so calm who knows what’s inside .
So what do you think really happened to the city of Atlantis? Do you think Atlantis was real? It’s up to you to find out.
However, it is hard to believe but it ispredicted that on December 21, 2012 it willbe end of all the species living on Earth.