1. Genetic Engineering I. Impact in Medicine and Agriculture II. Ethical and Safety Concern
2. I. Impact in Medicine and Agriculture
3. Impact in Medicine Corrects genetic defect that is either inherited of acquired Strict regulations - to ensure inhibition of release of GE organisms into the environment Drugs – produced under contained industrial conditions
4. Impact in Medicine GE organisms – for potential therapy are crippled to inhibit reproduction in the environment should they accidentally escape New Drug/Therapy produced – undergo extensive pre-clinical and clinical trials - to assess efficacy and detect undesirable side effects
5. Impact in Agriculture Repairs something which has nothing inherently wrong with it GE organisms – produced for intentional release into the environment (rarely crippled to prevent reproduction) Health risks of GE food – assessed biochemically and in short-term feeding trials with animals
6. Impact in Agriculture Regulations – (+90%) containing GE derived ingredients need not be labeled Post-release monitoring – is nonexistent
7. * Contrasting the use of Genetic Engineering in Medicine and Agriculture
8. • Largely the same• Different sets of rules• The inherent, unpredictable component largely appreciated and addressed in medical applications and is not same in food production.
9. II. Ethical Considerations and Safety Concerns
10. Ethical Protests Violation of species integrity Attention to the suffering of individual animals Moral repugnance – animals as patentable “manufactures and compositions of matter” Debasement of nonhuman animals – human property, lacking value and claims in their own right
11. Moral Considerations Animals denied possession of a soul, reason, or some other vaunted human quality, and used without apology.
12. Environmental Movement Animals - be given a respectful status Animal agriculture – ecologically inefficient and ethically obscene
13. Farm animals Nomally abandoned by our culture Treated with greater contempt and neglect than other classes of animals Stripped away of birthrights and earthrights Poutlry – 95% of the 95% of the victims
14. Food for thought:“If there’s anything to reincarnation and arecycling of souls, with the decreasingbiodiversity in this planet and daily loss ofendangered species, the only place onewill be able to go if they get recycled intoanother lifetime is into another human or afarm animal.” - Karen Davis