Mashups, Toolbars, Add-On‘s, …: Introduction Continuing Education Course – EAHIL Workshop Krakow 2007 Guus van den Brekel, Groningen, NL Oliver Obst, Münster, DE
A little about a lot
- What would you Mashup if you could?
What is a Mashup?
- Mashup (web application hybrid)
- A mashup combines two or more other applications creating another application that can help you better perform different activities.
Ingredients for a mashup
- API (application programming interface)
- WalkScore: http://www.walkscore.com
- Slidecasts (mashup of PowerPoint slides and audio).
- A sample of Google Maps mashup with a photos/videos sharing webservice
- A sample of News Mashup with an algorithm of Artifical Intelligence that learns from interaction
- Lunchbox Find restaurant reviews in a particular area using Yelp and Google Maps .
- Media Watch on Climate Change Aggregates
- Who is Sick? http:// whoissick.org/sickness/
- select a specialty to display doctors on a map http ://www.chaddickerson.com/mashups/doctors/
- shop for and compare health insurance plans, doctors, dentists, surgical procedures, hospital costs http://www.vimo.com
- current global state of infectious diseases, outbreak data of different sources, from news sources http://healthmap.org/
- LibraryThing : http://librarything.com
- LiveTrix : livetrix.ub.rug.nl (email for “demo” access)
- Lib 2.0 (firefox add-on http ://lib20.com/blog/article/30/announcing-l2
- Endeavor Voyager ( University of Pittsburgh )
- Yahoo Pipes allows individuals to create their own mashups or "pipes."
- Alternative PubMed Searches : http:// www.gopubmed.org/ PubReMiner | MorphoSaurus
- Livetrix : federated search, stats & semantics
What would you like to Mashup?
- Search tools (easier, faster & better)
- Find, availability, stats, Relevance, also
- Catalogues, Repositories, Web Resources, etc
- An Introduction Into Mashups for Health Librarians / Allan ChoJournal of the Canadian Health Libraries Association. JCHLA / JABSC. 28: 19-22 (2007) ppt
Any time left? Browser Extensions