1. LINK : http://spd300.blog.me/116492868 Stylish Dual LCD camera, Samsung ST100! Columbus’ egg is famous, because it’s the representative brilliant idea which anyone can think of, not because of itwas totally new or something. Samsung’s egg of Columbus in the digital camera market was the unique and innovative front display series. After the first dual LCD camera ST550 which was released a year ago, there have been various front display cameras.Among them, the ST100 is the only slim and compact style camera by adopting the inner zoom lens. Samsung compact cameras’ popularity comes from the various interesting functions, I think. The ST100 has alsothese convenient functions such as ACB, Beauty shot, face recognition, face registration, and various scene modes. It’s easy to use, and also has a lot of functions, so users need to read the instruction thoroughly to use them well. The ST100 is not a perfect camera which takes always great pictures, but good enough to take shots with yourfriends and family and have fun. Stylish Dual LCD camera, Samsung ST100!
3. Dual LCD, Stylish and Slim! Columbus’ egg is famous, because it’s the representative brilliant idea which anyone can think of, not because of itwas totally new or something. Samsung’s egg of Columbus in the digital camera market was the unique and innovative front display series. After the first dual LCD camera ST550 which was released a year ago, there have been various front display cameras.Among them, the ST100 is the only slim and compact style camera by adopting the inner zoom lens.
4. 5x optical inner zoom and 14.2M pixels Compact digital cameras are divided by the type of lens and manual function. The inner zoom lens system isnormally used for compact slim cameras, because the lens is not protruded and the volume is compact and light. The ST100 has adopted the inner zoom lens for the first time among the front display cameras, so it has the smallestsize and lightest weight. Given that the front LCD is normally used for self shots, the ST100 is a perfect camera forthe dual LCD. Therefore, I think it’s kind of late, because the dual LCD compact camera like the ST100 was released after 1 year ofthe first dual LCD camera. Among various front display cameras, the ST100 is so special, because of that. The Schneider VIRIOPLAN inner zoom lens used in the ST100 has the 35-175mm (On 35mm equivalent) 6.3-31.5mmoptical 5x zoom. By using the digital 5x zoom together, it can take subjects in a quite long distance. Of course,digital zoom mars some quality, but it might be useful in some situations. It has the 1/2.3” image sensor which is similar to most other compact digital cameras, but has 14.2M effective pixelsfor high quality pictures. Actually, this high pixel in a small sensor isn’t good for the physical quality, but might begood for the pattern of normal users such as crop and resizing. Samsung ST100 Specification Type 1/2.3" (Approx. 7.76 mm) CCD Image Effective pixels Approx. 14.2 mega-pixels sensor Total pixels Approx. 14.48 mega-pixels Schneider-KREUZNACH lens f = 6.3 - 31.5 mm Focal length (35 mm film equivalent: 35 - 175 mm) Lens F-stop range F3.6 (W) - F4.8 (T) Digital zoom Still image mode: 1.0X - 5.0X Type TFT LCD • Main Display: 3.5" (8.9 cm) Wide 1,152 K/Full Touch Screen
5. PanelDisplay Feature • Front Display: 1.8" (4.6 cm) 116 K/ TFT LCD TTL auto focus (Multi AF, Center AF, Smart Face Recognition Type AF, Face Detection AF, Smart Touch AF, One Touch Shooting)Focusing Normal 80 cm - infinity(W), 80 cm - infinity (T) Range Macro 5 cm - 80 cm(W), 50 cm - 80 cm (T) Auto Macro 5 cm - infinity(W), 50 cm - infinity (T) • Auto: 1/8 - 1/2,000 sec. • Program: 1 - 1/2,000 sec.Shutter speed • Night: 8 - 1/2,000 sec. • Fireworks: 2 sec. Control Program AE Metering Multi, Spot, Center-weightedExposure Compensation ±2EV (1/3EV steps) ISO equivalent Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 Mode Off, Auto, Red-eye, Fill in, Slow Sync, Red-eye Fix • Wide: 0.3 m - 3.1 m (ISO Auto) RangeFlash • Tele: 0.5 m - 2.3 m (ISO Auto) Recharging Approx. 4 sec. time DUAL IS [Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) +Shake reduction Digital Image Stabilization (DIS)] • Photo Style Selector : Normal, Soft, Vivid, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, Classic, Negative, Custom RGB ShootingEffect • Smart Filter: Normal, Miniature, Vignetting, Fish-eye 1, Fish- mode eye 2, Sketch, Defog • Image Adjust: Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation Auto WB, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent_H, Fluorescent_L,White Balance Tungsten, Custom SetDate Imprinting Date & Time, Date, Off • Modes: Smart Auto (Portrait, Night Portrait, Backlight Portrait, Backlight, Landscape, White, Motion, Tripod, Night, Macro, Macro Text, Blue Sky, Sunset Sky, Natural Green, Natural Portrait, Macro Color, Fireworks), Auto, Program, Photos DUAL IS, Scene (Night, Portrait, Children, Landscape, Text, Close Up, Sunset, Dawn, Backlight, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Frame Guide, Beauty Shot) • Drive: Single, Continuous, Motion Capture, AEB • Timer: 10 Sec, 2 Sec, Double, Motion TimerShooting • Modes: Smart Scene Detection (Landscape, Blue Sky, Natural Green, Sunset Sky), Movie • Format: MP4 (H.264) (Max recording time: 20 min) • Size: 1280 X 720 HQ, 1280 X 720, 640 X 480, 320 X 240 Videos • Frame Rate: 60 FPS, 30 FPS, 15 FPS • Effect: Photo Style Selector , White Balance, Smart Filter • Voice: Off, On • Video editing (embedded): Pause during recording, Still image capture, Time trimming Single image, Thumbnails, Multi slide show with music and effects, Movie clip, Smart Album* Type * Smart Album category: Type, Date, Color, Week, Face, Favorite Edit Resize, Rotate, Photo Style Selector , Image Adjust, Smart
6. Filter, Special Effect, Face Effect • Photo Style Selector : Normal, Soft, Vivid, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, Classic, Negative, Custom RGB • Image Adjust: ACB, Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Red-eye Playback Effect Fix • Smart Filter: Normal, Miniature, Vignetting, Fish-eye 1, Fish- eye 2, Sketch, Defog • Special Effect: Color • Voice Recording (Max. 10 hours) Voice recording • Voice Memo in a photo (Max. 10 sec.) • Internal memory: Approx. 30 MB • External memory (Optional): microSDTM card (up to 2 GB Media guaranteed), microSDHCTM card (up to 8 GB guaranteed) Internal memory capacity may not match these specifications. • DCF, EXIF 2.21, DPOF 1.1, PictBridge 1.0 • Still Image : JPEG File format • Movie Clip : MP4 (Video: MPEG4.AVC/H.264, Audio: AAC) • Audio file : WAV For 1GB microSD Super Fine Fine Normal Storage 4320 X 3240 122(SF), 240(F), 353(N) 4320 X 2880 137(SF), 267(F), 391(N) 4000 X 3000 142(SF), 278(F), 409(N) 4320 X 2432 163(SF), 320(F), 471(N) 3264 X 2448 211(SF), 409(F), 594(N) Image size 2560 X 1920 335(SF), 637(F), 908(N) 2048 X 1536 510(SF), 936(F), 1,314(N) 1920 X 1080 762(SF), 1,373(F), 1,931(N) 1024 X 768 1,626(SF), 2,575(F), 3,090(N) These figures are measured under Samsung’s standard conditions and may vary depending on shooting conditions and camera settings. Digital output USB 2.0 connector Audio Internal speaker (Mono), Microphone (Mono) input/output Interface • A/V: NTSC, PAL (selectable) Video output • HDMI 1.4: NTSC, PAL (selectable) DC power input 34 pin, 4.2V connector Rechargeable Power Lithium-ion battery (BP-70A, 740 mAh) battery source The power source may differ depending on your region. Dimensions (W x H x D) 100 x 60 x 20 mm Weight 135 g (without battery and memory card) Operating temperature 0 - 40˚ C Operating humidity 5 - 85 % Software Intelli-studio
8. Shinny Metallic Mirror style and convenience The ST100 has 2 LCDs on the back and front, but nothing is shown on the front when it’s off. The high glossy coveris harmonized with the metallic color, so it fits well with the copy ‘Shinny Metallic’. The inner zoom slim body fitswell with this design concept. The operation part including the shutter and power button is located on the top, and on the back, there’s only 3.5”wide touch panel LCD. For more convenient shooting, it has only Front LCD, power, release, zoom, and play buttonon the top panel, and the menu interface and functions are operated by the back LCD. Now, people are used to touch interface, so it’s easy to operate the camera. The touch screen on the ST100 is theIn-cell type with 115M pixels. It shows the vivid and clear images. As a dual LCD camera, it also has the 7 degree slanted body to take a self shot with putting the camera on a tablelike the previous cameras. This 7 degree slanted body on the surface allows users more convenient self shots. Self timer setting Focus setting Shooting mode selection
9. A B C A. Touch screen information display setting B. Shooting option selection C. Motion Recognition mode
10. Shinny Metallic Mirror style and convenience There’s no button for menu setting, so all the functions can be set by touch interface. The interface has only beenchanged, and you can select the function and menu by looking at the icons and instruction. The basic shooting screen consists of main items such as live view, shooting mode, flash, focus area, timer,information display, and shooting option, so users don’t need to go into the menu to select these items. This screenmenu varies by the selected shooting mode, so please read the manual carefully if you want to use the functionswell. The most frequently used items are located in the option selection on the below screen. It’s normally hid, but showsup when touched. By moving left or right, various settings are available such as exposure compensation, whitebalance, ISO, AF area, Face Recognition AF, image size, quality, ACB, metering, release mode, photo style, smart filter,image compensation, IS, and voice recording. (This menu composition varies by the shooting mode.) These menu items can be set from the screen shown after touching Menu on the right bottom, but normally useditems are included in the menu mentioned earlier, so I don’t think it will be used a lot. This menu composition could be convenient, but for beginners, it might be difficult to use each function. Of course, for beginners, Samsung has prepared various auto and preset modes such as Auto, Smart Auto, Movie
11. recording, Smart movie recoding, and Scene mode. Manual function which users set the aperture or shutter speed is not supported, but users can set other functions, soadvanced people can take a unique picture after getting used to the functions. 1.8" front LCD The biggest feature of the front display cameras is the convenient self shots by using the front LCD. People likecompact cameras for some reasons, and one of them is the simple and convenient snap shots including self shots. In order to take this self shot, users need to practice without looking at the LCD. Some high end cameras supportedswivel LCD for users to see the LCD, but I’d rather skip that, because these cameras belonged to a different category.
12. The reason people liked the front display very much is the innovative idea. There’s a F.LCD button on the top to turnon/off the LCD, but by tapping the front LCD, it’s turned on for more convenience and fun to users. In order toprevent the LCD turning on mistakenly, it requires a little strong tapping, but this tapping idea is also an innovativeidea. Total 6 modes with the front LCD are prepared such as self shot, children, couple shot, jump shot, flash and focusinformation mode, and smile icon modes and these help users take shots more easily. In the face recognition AF setting, when the smile shutter function is on, by just smiling to the lens, the shot isautomatically made without pushing the shutter. When it comes to the couple shot, by using the face recognitionprocess, when 2 faces are crossed, the shutter is released. The children mode is very useful for parents. Selecting the children mode, the funny animation is played on the frontLCD with sound, so children can focus on the camera, and the parent can easily take their smiling moment.
13. Self shot samples by using the children mode White Balance mode of the ST100 The white balance in the digital camera is very important to express accurate colors on images. Most users select theAWB, but no camera can set the 100% accurate white balance so far. Therefore, not depending on the AWB, but setting the appropriate preset or custom mode help users take moreaccurate colored images. The AWB of the ST100 was so-so. When the light was sufficient, it shows good colors and balance, but in a littleinsufficient light situation, the balance went a little wrong, and the deviation got higher for indoor shooting. Ofcourse, this happened in most of the compact cameras.
15. Photo Style The advantage of digital images is various colored images by color processing. The ST100 offers 9 Photo style modesincluding 8 preset modes and 1 custom mode to take picture with various color feelings.
17. Smart Filter Smart Filter allows users to take a picture with effects without retouching by making the retouching process thepreset image processing algorithm. These effects are available, because it’s a digital camera. The ST100 supports 6 kinds of Smart Filters such as Miniature, Vignetting, Fish eye (2 modes), Sketch, and Defog.Each filter has their feature, but I like Vignetting the most. By darkening the corner of the image and with some under exposure and color feeling, it allows users intenseimages. Smart Filter can be applied before and after shooting. It’s users’ choice. Miniature Vignetting Fish_eye 1 Fish_eye 2
18. Sketch Defog ISO 80~3200 The image sensor which is a kind of a semi-conductor taking a role of a film in a digital camera converts the light toelectric signal and sends it as digital values. Therefore, when the light is enough, there’s no problem, but if not, thesignal would be reduced, and to compensate it, noise is also increased. That’s why higher ISO increases noise even though it secures appropriate exposure and shutter speed for shooting. The reason why DSLR having a large sensor shows the higher performance than compact cameras is the amount oflight receiving. Actually, the higher pixel such as 14M pixels in the 1/2.3” size image sensor is a disadvantage to the high ISO noise.However, the image processing reducing the noise controls it. In 4:3 ratio, it could take 4320x3240 pixels images, so up to ISO 800 is good enough to use, but from ISO 1600, dueto the heavy noise reduction, details were marred and colors were distorted much.
19. Stylish Dual LCD camera Samsung compact cameras’ popularity comes from the various interesting functions, I think. The ST100 has alsothese convenient functions such as ACB, Beauty shot, face recognition, face registration, and various scene modes. It’s easy to use, and also has a lot of functions, so users need to read the instruction thoroughly to use them well. The ST100 is not a perfect camera which takes always great pictures, but good enough to take shots with yourfriends and family and have fun. A few tips ■ Read the manual!Read and study the manual, because it has a lot of functions! Then, it will be more interesting to take shots. ■ Under exposure!
20. Generally, the exposure tended to be bright. If you consider the exposure balance and colors important, I’drecommend the exposure compensation about +-1 stop. ■ Use Vignetting mode!Vignetting mode makes the most attractive image among all the smart filters. It reduces the light in the corner andmakes different color feeling from a normal mode, and it gives a strange emotion to a picture. 20.5mm F4.2 1/90s ISO100 -1.0EV 20.5mm F4.2 1/90s ISO100 -1.0EV