Partners HealthCare-Summary of Recommendations on Interactions with Medical Device Companies
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 1
April 10, 2009
Summary of Partners Industry Interaction
Requirements—A Medical Device
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 2
Background on Partners HealthCare
• Boston, MA based integrated health system.
• Two academic medical centers and many community
and specialty hospitals, community health centers, a
physician network, home health and long-term care
• Leading biomedical research organization.
• Principal teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School.
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 3
Background on Recommendations
• Recommendations made by an internal commission
charged with examining the health system’s policies and
practices for interacting with pharmaceutical and medical
• Commission comprised of physician leaders from across
the Partners system.
• Endorsed by Partners HealthCare Board of Directors.
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 4
Purposes of Commission
• Formulating principles to guide partners approach to
• Reviewing Partners current range of relationships with
• Considering the potential need for changes in policies
and practices; and
• Developing recommendations regarding modifications to
policies, the need for new policies and practices, and the
infrastructure required to better support and enforce all
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 5
• Tightens many current policies.
• Introduces several new policies.
• Calls for a renewed and rigorous institutional
commitment to education, oversight and enforcement.
• Partners will develop a comprehensive implementation
• To be implemented in phases, with target effective date
of as of 10/1/09.
• Task force appointed to ensure prompt implementation
and successful rollout.
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 6
Enhancements to Conflict of Interest
Disclosure Process Over Past Two
• Now reported and analyzed online.
• Focus on ensuring disclosures are submitted and
reviewed in a timely manner.
• Required participation has been expanded to include
more than 6,000 physicians, researchers, institutional
officers and other employees.
• Sanctions for noncompliance are in place.
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 7
Key Recommendations (page 1 of 3)
• Prohibition of all gifts, including meals and
funding for meals, provided directly to staff or
Partners institutions for their personal use, on a
partners site or off-site.
• Requiring that industry representatives have
written invitations defining the purpose and
terms of visits before having access to partners
sites and staff.
• Establishment of a process to identify and
manage significant financial interests held by
physicians in companies that make products
they prescribe or use in their practices.
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 8
Key Recommendations (page 2 of 3)
• Acceptance of industry funding for educational
programs and fellowships only if provided
through a centrally pooled institutional
President’s fund at each hospital or approved
by a Partners-wide Educational Review Board.
• Establishment of a robust, tiered approach to
evaluate research related conflicts of interest.
• Adoption of a stricter policy holding certain
officials to a higher standard because of their
influential positions with the organization.
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 9
Key Recommendations (page 3 of 3)
• Development of an enhanced infrastructure,
including the creation of a new Conflict of Interest
Review Committee, responsible for education,
oversight and enforcement of Partners policies
and practices in regard to industry interactions.
• Strengthen oversight of permitted outside
– A ban on faculty participation in industry
– An express prohibition on faculty being listed as
authors on papers ghostwritten by others, and
– A more rigorous internal review process for
certain outside activities.
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 10
Implementation and Rollout
• System-wide educational initiatives.
• Dedication of financial resources.
• Definition of sanctions for non-compliance.
• Target effective date of 10/1/09.
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 11
• This summary may not be comprehensive.
• The Partners implementation plan has not yet been
implemented so changes may occur.
• Not legal advice - please consult your attorney.
• Not compliance advice – please consult your chief
03/30/15 Bob Dickson 12
Comments on this presentation are welcomed. Please
email Bob Dickson your suggestions for improvement.
Please indicate the specific slide number that you are
commenting on so the comment can be easily followed.