An ELO may be cute/goofy but may not be functional. i.e. “Pounding the rock” or some silly phraseGo into what we mean by “functional” a.k.a. NON BULL SHIT ELO’s
Structured play = giant mass of ELOsReiterate previous slideshow: playroom/music are not break time for tutors
Maybe mention the idea of avoiding vocal ELO’s while running vocal procedures? This may be more if you’re having difficulties w/ the procedure (“Burn out” so to speak).
Reinforcer apron… name says it all.Possible Question:What about when running a procedure and you are getting little to no correct responses? Can I use ELO’s and then reinforce w/ tangibles?
1. EXTRA LEARNINGOPPORTUNITIES(ELO’S)Psy 35701
2. ELO ELO’s are any unscheduled trial with your child No formal procedure may exist Only considered an ELO if “true trial” An SD A response: correct or incorrect A consequence: reinforcement or correctiveprocedure ELO’s can be a variety of behaviors ELO’s can take place in various settings2
3. A variety of behaviors3 Previously mastered procedures Star stacker Puzzles Trace line Various forms of imitation Mastered procedures sans materials are mostefficient (i.e. verbal directions) Be creative and teach your child new skills Attempt to make ELO’s as functional aspossible
4. Various settings4 In the booth “Quiet hands” “Sit in chair” ELOs in the playroom Structured play Cleaning up ELOs in the common area Structured Play “Stop” and “Go”
5. Some thoughts5 Provide variety with different ELO’s Refrain from incessant hand clapping and nosetouching Generalize mastered procedures to novelstimuli/contexts Use ELO’s to maintain behavioral momentum Use ELO’s during transitions betweenprocedures and inter-trial intervals While replacing stimuli and materials
6. Some more thoughts6 Use ELO’s to gain compliance When procedure trials are going poorly Use ELO’s during down time Keep your child engaged constantly Reinforce behavior at least every 3 seconds Reminder: Reinforcer aprons
7. Reinforcement or Correction7 Only use social reinforcers for ELO’s No tangibles No edibles (where applicable) Full physically prompt incorrect responses Follow up prompted response with socialreinforcement