Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
Exploring the Relationship between Financial and Non-financial Risk Taking Behavior
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Exploring the Relationship between Financial and Non-financial Risk Taking Behavior

1,234

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
1,234
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Exploring the Relationship Between Financial and Non-Financial Risk-Taking Behaviors Diann Moorman, Leslie Gordon-Simons, Martin Seay University of GeorgiaBackground Table 2.Frequently financial behavior is measured by determining the level of risk Predicting Likelihood of Exhibiting Financially Risky Behaviorinherent within an action. Conventional wisdom has indicated that “general” Data and Methods Characteristic Odds-Ratio P-valuerisk tolerance is a poor predictor of financial risk tolerance. However, Data: Intercept 0.433evidence suggests that some individuals may actively seek multiple types of 312 undergraduate students from a southeastern research university were Sexrisks while other individuals seek to avoid as much risk as possible surveyed in an introductory level course during the spring and fall semesters of(Zuckerman & Kuhlman, 2000). The college years in particular, are generally Male 0.501 0.018 2009. Female - -associated with a multitude of risky behaviors including “binge drinking”(Douglas, et al., 1997), gambling (Huang & Boyer, 2007), and sexual Race Measures:experimentation (Martins, Tavares, da Silva Lobi, Galetti & Gentil, 2004). White 0.565 0.13 Responses to a series of questions were used to create three indices. In order toThis research explores the connections between multiple risk taking behaviors Other - - differentiate between above and below average levels of risk taking behavior,of college students including sexual risk-taking (e.g. having multiple partners), Family Income indices were transformed into dichotomous variables utilizing means as cutalcohol risk-taking (e.g. consuming 4 or more drinks at one sitting), and Less than $60,000 - - offs. Each index was created using the following questions:financial risk-taking (e.g. paying only the minimum credit card payment). It $60,001 to $90,000 1.212 0.685seeks to ascertain whether a consistent risk profile is exhibited in all three $90,001 to $130,000 0.801 0.624 •Risky Financial Behavior: How often do you --pay only minimumarenas. There is growing evidence that financial problems among U.S. $130,000 plus 0.654 0.341 payments on credit cards, pay finance charges on your credit card, buy itemsconsumers begins during early adulthood (McKenna, Hyllegard, & Linder, Relationship Status on impulse, borrow money from family/friends, receive collection calls,2003), quite possibly during the more risky college years. Committed relationship - - bounce checks, buy things you can’t afford; Other 0.859 0.537Research Questions •Risky Sexual Behavior: How old were you when you first had sex, with Employment Status •Do individuals demonstrate consistent risk-taking tendencies across how many partners have you had sex, it is acceptable to have sex with Employed 1.807 0.021 differing types of risks? casual dating partners the first night, in an exclusive relationship it is ok to Not Employed - - •Is risky behavior as related to sexual and alcohol related activities have sex with a different person, one night stands are enjoyable, it is ok to Sexually Risky associated with unfavorable financial behavior? have sexual relationships with multiple people at the same time; More risky 2.064 0.013 Less risky - - •Risky Drinking Behavior: How often do you drink more than 4 drinks in a Alcohol Risky Table 1. single night, drive drunk, appear in public intoxicated, drink alcoholic More risky 1.199 0.491 Sample Description beverages during a typical month, get very intoxicated, get mildly Less risky - - Characteristic % of Sample intoxicated Sex Conclusion Analysis: This study sought to explore whether individuals a consistent risk-taking Male 30.8% A binary logistic regression analysis was conducted to predict the likelihood of profile across multiple types of behaviors. Results indicate that individuals Female 69.2% exhibiting above average financially risky behavior based upon whether a who exhibited sexually risky behavior were found to be more likely to Race respondent exhibited above average alcohol related risky behavior and exhibit financially risky behavior, but no correlation was found between White 85.9% alcohol related behavior and financially risky behavior. These mixed results sexually risky behavior, controlling for gender, race, family income, Other 14.1% relationship status, and employment status. leave room for further exploration and clarification. It is important to note Family Income that the generalizability of this study is limited both by its population and by Less than $60,000 10.3% the convenience sampling techniques that were employed in data collection. $60,001 to $90,000 21.5% Results $90,001 to $130,000 29.8% •Participation in sexually risky behavior was found to be positively References $130,000 plus 38.5% Douglas, K. A., Collins, J. L., Warren, D., Kann, L., Gold, R., Clayton, S., et al. Relationship Status correlated with participation in financially risky behavior. (1997). Results from the 1995 National College health risk behavior survey. Journal of Committed relationship 42.9% •Individual’s who exhibited risky behavior in sexual activities were American College Health, 46, 55-66. Other 57.1% 2.06 times as likely to exhibit financially risky behaviors. Huang, J. H., & Boyer, R. (2007). Epidemiology of youth gambling problems in Employment Status Canada: A national prevalence study. Canadian journal of psychiatry, 52, 657-665. •Participation in risky alcohol related behavior was not found to be Martins, S. S., Taveres, H., da Silva Lobo, D. S., Galetti, A.M., & Gentil, V. (2004). Employed 39.1% Pathological gambling, gender, risk-taking behaviors. Addictive Behaviors, 29,, 1231- significantly correlated with participation in financially risky behavior. Not Employed 60.9% 1235. McKenna, J., Hyllegard, K., & Linder, R. (2003). Linking psychological type to financial decision-making. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 14, 19-29

×