Industry Analysis: Porter’s 5 Forces
Threat of new
entrants Is high
are no entry
Are rural milk
High due to
high because of
Amul is going globally…..
• GCMMF has signed an agreement with Wal-Mart to stock its shelves with products
under its Amul brand name. Amul processed cheese, pure ghee, shrikhand, Nutramul,
Amul’s Mithaee Gulab Jamuns are few of the products marketed in US markets.
• 50% of Americans being medically obese & if Amul is really looking to capture the
hearts of the 2nd and 3rd of Indians, offering low-fat versions of its brands, would
make a lot of commercial sense. Hence targeting the large Indian community in the US
markets with its niche products like Mithai, Packaged ready to eat foots market, it can
definitely expand its market to a large extent.
• Overseas markets- Mauritius, UAE, Bangladesh, Australia, China, Singapore, Malaysia
, Nepal, Pakistan, Hong Kong and a few South African countries.
• Fresh plans of flooding the markets of Japan & Srilanka.
• Tie up with Glaxo to sell baby food.
What more can Amul do??
Amul can try out the following ideas:
• Amul can venture out on new products like Toned milk,
Condensed milk that can be used for sweets, Baby food products,
• There are certain product like Amul basundi, gulab jamoon,
chocolates etc which are not as popular as Amul ice cream. Amul must
try to understand the cause of this through thorough market research
and work on improving these products
• Though Amul’s hoardings are a huge success, it can penetrate even
better in the rural areas by advertising through the
media via cable channels and newspapers. Sponsoring shows in TV,
sports events can be of great help.