1. Jumpstart Assignment
• What is the most important
issue facing our country
today (in your opinion)?
Why do you feel this issue
is the most important?
2. Forms of Government
• Classification can be done 3 ways…
3. Who can participate?
• Authority rests with the people.
• A direct democracy exists where the will
of the people is translated into law directly
by the people themselves.
• In an indirect democracy, a small group
of persons, chosen by the people to act as
their representatives, expresses the
• A dictatorship exists where those who rule
cannot be held responsible to the will of the
• An autocracy is a government in which a
single person holds unlimited political
• An oligarchy is a government in which the
power to rule is held by a small, usually
Who can participate?
5. Classification by Geographic
Distribution of Power
• A unitary government has all powers
held by a single, central agency.
• A confederation is an alliance of
• A federal government is one in which the
powers of government are divided
between a central government and
several local governments.
6. Classification by the Relationship Between
Legislative and Executive Branches
7. Forms of Government
8. Group Activity
• Groups of 3 will create a 1 minute skit
to represent the form of government
they are given.
• You will need to draw the form of
government that is on the other side
of the card.