Chapter 1, Section 1 Assignment Name_________________________
1. What is the difference between a government and a state?
2. Who holds the power in a dictatorship (the answer is not a dictator)?
3. What is the purpose of a constitution?
4. Give an example of a use of judicial power.
5. The United States is sovereign, but the city or town in which you live is not. Do
you think that your community should be sovereign? Why or why not?
6. Explain this comment: Much of the thought upon which present-day democratic
government rests began as a challenge to the theory of the divine right of kings.
7. Explain how the language of the Preamble reflects the idea of the social contract.
Directions: For each “purpose of government,” create a picture that represents a time
(in history) in which our government fulfilled (or didn’t fulfill) that purpose. Then
score our present government on a scale of 1 to 10 on how well they fulfill that
purpose (1 = terrible, 10 equals amazing).
Form a More Perfect Union Score__________
Establish Justice Score__________
Ensure Domestic Tranquility Score__________
Provide for the Common Defense Score__________
Promote the General Welfare Score__________
Secure the Blessings of Liberty Score__________