• Digestion is the breaking down of food
into simplest forms that The body can use.
• The body uses food as fuel to provide
energy for work, play and growth.
• The Digestive System is responsible for
converting the food we eat into energy for
The body to use.
Organs involved in
How does the Process
of Digestion begin ?
•Digestion or the breaking
down of food into small
molecules that will be
absorbed into The bloodstream
begins when we put food in The
mouth and begin to chew.
•The teeth help to break the
food apart, saliva helps to
soften the food
•The tongue helps to push the
What happens to the
food that we swallow ?
• When we swallow the
food , it goes into a
tube called the
• The Esophagus is a
muscular tube that is
connected to the
• The muscles that
ROLE OF STOMACH IN DIGESTION
• The stomach is a sack that
receives the food from the
• The stomach is located just
below the heart.
• The stomach makes
digestive juices (acids and
enzymes) that help to break
The food down into a thick
liquid or paste.
• This thick liquid or paste is
• The stomach is a muscular
organ that is able to move in
Where does the food go after
leaving from Stomach ??
• After leaving the Stomach the Food
goes to the Small Intestine
• The small intestine is a 20-25 foot tube
that is coiled up in The abdomen.
• The center of The small intestine is
right behind The belly button.
• The most important part of digestion
takes place in the small intestine.
• As the thick liquid food paste travels
through The small intestine the
(vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohyd
rates and fats) are absorbed by
Does the body use all the food
we eat ?
• The undigested food leaves the small intestine
and then enters the large intestine.
• The large intestine is about five feet long so it
is shorter than the small intestine. The large
intestine is however thicker or wider than the
• The undigested food enters the large
intestine as a liquid paste. In the large
intestine water is removed from the liquid
paste turning what is left into solid waste.
• The solid waste then collects in the rectum at
the end of the large intestine and will finally
leave the body through an opening called the
Role of pH in process of
• When we eat Food Stomach
secretes Hydrochrolic Acid (HCl)
• The pH of HCl is between 1 & 3
• As such a low value of pH, an
enzyme called Pepsin becomes
active which helps in digesting
MADE BY :TH C )
DHIRAJ DUGAR (10