Microsoft Public NASDAQ: MSFTType HKEX: 4338 Albuquerque, New Mexico (April 4, 1975 (1975-04-04)FoundedFounder(s) Bill Gates Paul Allen
Headquarters Redmond, Washington, United StatesArea served WorldwideKey people Bill Gates (Chairman) Steve Ballmer (CEO) Ray Ozzie (CSA) Craig Mundie (CRSO) Don Mattrick (Senior VP of Entertainment and Devices)Industry Computer software Consumer electronics Video game consoles
Products Microsoft Windows Microsoft Office Microsoft Servers Windows Developer Tools Microsoft Expression Business Software Games & Xbox 360 Windows Live Windows Mobile ZuneRevenue ▼ US$ 58.437 billion (2009)Net income ▼ US$ 14.569 billion (2009)Total assets ▲ US$ 77.888 billion (2009)
Microsoft Corporation is a multinational computertechnology corporation that develops, manufactures,licenses, and supports a wide range of softwareproducts for computing devices. Headquartered inRedmond, Washington, USA, its most profitableproducts are the Microsoft Windows operating systemand the Microsoft Office suite of productivity software.
• The company was founded in 1975, to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair 8800. Microsoft rose to dominate the home computer operating system market with MS-DOS in the mid-1980s, followed by the Windows line of operating systems. Many of its products have achieved near-ubiquity in the desktop computer market.
Microsofts original mission was, "a computer on every desk and in everyhome, running Microsoft software."
• Client Includes the Windows product family and is responsible for our relationships with personal computer manufacturers.• Server and Tools Software server products, services and solutions, including: Windows Server operating system, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Enterprise Services, Visual Studio, System Center products, Forefront security products and Biz Talk Server.• Online Services Business Consists of an online advertising platform with offerings for publishers and advertisers, personal communications services such as e-mail and instant messaging, and online information offerings such as Live Search and the MSN portals and channels.• Microsoft Business Division Includes the Microsoft Office suites, desktop programs, servers, and services and solutions; Microsoft Dynamics; and Unified Communications business solutions.• Entertainment and Devices Division Consists of the Xbox video game system, including consoles and accessories, Xbox Live operations, Zune digital music and entertainment device; Mediaroom, mobile and embedded device platforms, Surface computing platform, and Windows Automotive.
1975–1984: FoundingFollowing the launch of the Altair 8800, William Henry Gates III,(known as Bill Gates) called the developers of a newmicrocomputer, Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems(MITS), offering to demonstrate an implementation of the BASICprogramming language for the system. After the demonstration,MITS agreed to distribute Altair BASIC. Gates left HarvardUniversity, moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico where MITS waslocated, and founded Microsoft there. The companys firstinternational office was founded on November 1, 1978, in Japan,titled "ASCII Microsoft" (now called "Microsoft Japan").
1985–1994: IPO, OS/2 and Windows• In August 1985, Microsoft and IBM partnered in the development of a different operating system called OS/2. On November 20, 1985, Microsoft released its first retail version of Microsoft Windows, originally a graphical extension for its MS-DOS operating system
1995–2005: Internet and legal issuesIn 1995, Microsoft released Windows 95, a newversion of the companys flagship operatingsystem which featured a completely new userinterface, including a novel start button; more thana million copies of Microsoft Windows 95 weresold in the first four days after its release.Thecompany also released its web browser, InternetExplorer, with the Windows 95 Plus! Pack inAugust 1995 and subsequent Windows versions.
• In 2001, Microsoft released Windows XP, the first version that encompassed the features of both its business and home product lines. The current logo of Microsoft Windows, the companys signature product
The Xbox 360, Microsofts second systemin the gaming console market
• The company is run by a Board of Directors consisting of ten people, made up of mostly company outsiders (as is customary for publicly traded companies). Current members of the board of directors are: Steve Ballmer, James Cash, Jr., Dina Dublon, Bill Gates, Raymond Gilmartin, Reed Hastings, David Marquardt, Charles Noski, Helmut Panke, and Jon Shirley
• When the company debuted its IPO in March 13, 1986, the stock price was US $21. By the close of the first trading day, the stock had closed at $28, equivalent to 9.7 cents when adjusted for the companys first nine stock splits. The initial close and ensuing rise in subsequent years made several Microsoft employees millions
• Logos and slogans Microsofts logo with the "Your potential. Our passion." tagline below the main corporate name, is based on the slogan Microsoft had as of 2008. In 2002, the company started using the logo in the United States and eventually started a TV campaign with the slogan, changed from the previous tagline of "Where do you want to go today?
• Environmental record Road side plantation by Microsoft near Dells office, Bangalore, India.
• Microsofts newest building on its campus in Hyderabad, India was built as an environmentally friendly structure. Microsoft Research India developed a project called Digital Green in 2008.• Microsoft has phased out the use of polyvinyl chloride plastic in its packaging material, due to environmental concern, and to match actions by competitors.• The company has installed over 2,000 solar panels spanning 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2) on top of its buildings in its Silicon Valley campus
• SENIOR LEADERSHIP - Bill Gates (far left) and (L-R) Microsoft Chief Research and Strategy Officer Craig Mundie, Chief Software Architect Ray Ozzie and CEO Steve Ballmer at a news conference
• Board of Directors• Steven A. Ballmer• Chief Executive Officer, Microsoft Corporation• Dina Dublon• Former Chief Financial Officer, JPMorgan Chase• William H. Gates III• Chairman, Microsoft Corporation• Raymond V. Gilmartin• Former Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Merck & Co., Inc.• Reed Hastings• Founder, Chairman and CEO, Netflix, Inc.• Maria M. Klawe• President, Harvey Mudd College• David F. Marquardt• General Partner, August Capital• Charles H. Noski• Former Vice Chairman, AT&T Corporation• Dr. Helmut Panke• Former Chairman of the Board of Management, BMW AG
Microsoft Dynamics Microsoft AutoRoute Microsoft OfficeCRM 4.0 2007 with GPS Locator Access 2007 Microsoft Microsoft Expression Web 2 Flight Simulator X