1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARYWith the continuing growth of globalization, the companies need to pay carefully attention toselecting and managing people who may become their “Global manager”. The best way toarchive this is by coming up with clear concept what constitute such a manager. But theexamination of wide set of possible characteristics indicates there seems to be not distinct set ofsuch individual qualities. So there is no consistent way to point out. What global manager is.What we are left with is search for good “conventional” manager with global mindset who couldsucceed in the international market.
2. Introduction of Globalization T. Levitt (May 1983) It refer to the shift toward the more integrated andinterdependent world economy. Globalizations have several facts including globalization ofmarket and globalization of production.Globalization of Market It refer to the historical distinct and separate national market into one huge globalmarketplace falling barrier to cross-trade have made it easier to sell internationally. It has beenmade sometime that trusted and preference of consumer in different nations are beginning tocoverage some global norm, which helping to create global market. Consumer product such asCredit-card, Coca-cola soft drink and Starbucks coffee.Globalization of Product B.Womark (4 Sep 2004) It refer to sourcing of goods and service from locationaround the globe to take advantage of national difference in the cost of quality of factor ofproduction (such as labor energy, land and capital) company hope to lower cost structure orimprove quality or functionality of product offering, then to complete more effectively. Forexample global web activity of Vizio an American company with 75 employee become one oflargest marketed of Flat Panel TV in U.K. in just four year by coordinating a global web ofactivity and bringing together component manufactured in south Corea, China and U.S. arrangedfor their assembly in Maxico then selling in U.K.
3. Introduction of Global Manager Christopher A. Bartlett (1 August 2003), Driven by ideology, religion, and mistrust,the world seems more fragmented than at any time since, arguably, World War II. But howeverdeep the political divisions, business operations continue to span the globe, and executives stillhave to figure out how to run them efficiently and well. In "What Is a Global Manager?" (first published in September/October 1992), businessprofessors Christopher Bartlett and Sumantra Ghoshal lay out a model for a managementstructure that balances the local, regional, and global demands placed on companies operatingacross the worlds many borders. In the volatile world of transnational corporations, there is nosuch thing as a "universal" global manager, the authors say. Rather, there are three groups ofspecialists: business managers, country managers, and functional managers. And there are thetop executives at corporate headquarters who manage the complex interactions between thethree--and can identify and develop the talented executives that a successful transnationalrequires. This kind of organizational structure characterizes a transnational rather than an old-line multinational, international, or global company. Transnationals integrate assets, resources, and diverse people in operating units aroundthe world. Through a flexible management process, in which business, country, and functionalmanagers form a triad of different perspectives that balance one another, transnational companiescan build three strategic capabilities: global-scale efficiency and competitiveness; national-levelresponsiveness and flexibility; and cross-market capacity to leverage learning on a worldwidebasis. Through a close look at the successful careers of Leif Johansson of Electrolux, HowardGottlieb of NEC, and Wahib Zaki of Procter & Gamble, the authors illustrate the skills that eachmanagerial specialist requires.
4. Introduction of Manager Manager is a person who responsible for the work performance in groupmembers. Manager hold the formal authority of committed of organization resources, even ifapproval of other is required . The concept of management and manager are interdependent. The term management inthe book refer to the process of using organization resources to achieve organization objectivethrough the function of manager is planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling.Roles of Managers Henri Mintzberg had identified role of manager as below.Interpersonal Roles The manager can coordinate and interact with employee. It provide direction andinstruction. Manager play role of figurehead leader and lessoning. As Figurehead, managerperformers ceremonial and symbolic activity for organization. Managers role to motivate theirsubordinate.Informational Roles This roles relate the necessary obtain and transmit information from inside andoutside. The manager acting as disseminator. The manager transmits the information to othermembers of organization. This information is used to influence their attitude and behavior allplay role like spokesperson. Manager access the information to promote the organization.Decisional RolesIt is very important role of manager in the organization. The manager can be take decision inmany time. The manager is plan to use strategy. It is effective use of the organizationalresources.
5. OBJECTIVE OF REPORTS To learn the globalization work in the world. To achievement of managers in global market. To find out Global managers are Myth or Reality. To find out which problem occurred to manager in global world. To summaries the globalization phenomenon.. To find out the different between global manager and local manager. To rectified the challenges of Global managers in the global market.
6. The Global Manager Myth or RealityAccording to Eric Matson (30 April 1997)Myth #1Global managers are an elite core of specialists at the top of the company.Reality:Smart companies recognize that midlevel people should go global."Overseas operations used to be thought of as appendages or subsidiaries to help increase sales;now theyre part of a network for accessing knowledge and human capital around the world.Employees in the Tokyo office might know something about product development that youdont, and you need them for that knowledge -- not just for additional sales. To be a valuableemployee, you need to be exposed to all aspects of your companys operations, foreign as well asdomestic."Myth #2To get global exposure, you need to work overseas.Reality:Sometimes its better to join a U.S.-based team thats integrating global operations."This might be the wrong time to take a position overseas. Companies like Procter & Gamble,which expanded globally in the 1960s and 70s, are now trying to build on entrepreneurialsubsidiaries through better integration and coordination. If that case is similar to your companys,it may be better to find your way onto one of those coordinating committees rather than work ina subsidiary. There are many ways to get international experience without taking a three-yearposting."
7. Myth #3Networking with the expatriate community is critical.Reality:Networking with the locals is critical. Networking with the local expat community is for yourfamily."You take an overseas assignment to grow your skills, expand your network, increase yourcredibility. If youre working in Malaysia, its critical that you build relationships with Malaysianbuyers and suppliers. These are the relationships that will help you succeed. You cant get anunderstanding of the country if youre locked behind the iron gates of an expatriate ghetto."Myth #4You shouldnt take an overseas assignment until you have enough seniority to make a difference.Reality:The sooner you go the better."Go when youre young, when you can build networks that stay with you for the rest of your life.And when you return, measure success by asking these questions: Have I added skills to myportfolio? Have I built new relationships? Have I increased my credibility within the company?Those are the critical things you need to get out of any foreign assignment."Myth#5Women do not want Global Manager“In a studding surveyed more than thousand graduating MBAs from several top managementschool in United States, Canada and Europe (Adler, 1984) the results revealed an overwhelmingcase of no significant differences: female and male MBA’s display equal interest in pursuinginternational career. Therefore, this myth is not true.”
8. Reality#5Today woman also play role as global manager.“In the global world many woman also have CEO of the companies. In world woman also takeresponsibility of global manager. She can also handle businesses in global world. They can verywell face the challenges in global completion and change in market condition.According to Me - Global Manager is RealityThe Global Manager is Reality. It is not Myth. Because the today’s world is global world. Theworld is much closed trough Technology. In the global world the corporate sector is running veryfast. It is very important for every industry to growth their business in global world. The entiresupply chain depends upon the globalization and cooperation and coordination of the differentoffices which are situated in the different countries. The person who handle the relation betweenDifferent countries offices of same industry are called Global Manager. The global manager ismaintaining the supply chain of production or sales. Global manager can play the important rolein the growth of industry in different countries or in the world.
9. Literature ReviewT.Levvit Theory of Globalization (1983) According to the T.Levvit Globalization means shift toward the more integrated andinterdependent world economy. He had explained about the Global Marketing and GlobalProduct. The market place is crossed the trade border of the nations. it can sell the product ininternational market. The consumer of countries is given the preference to the product of anothernation. At that time it was beginning of global market. In the global product to take theadvantages in national differences of cost and quality or factor of production. Companies hope tolower cost structure or improve quality or functionality of product.My view about Globalization- The levvit also telling about globalization particular the mainly depends on the globalmarket and global product. I am also agreed to the levvit theory of the globalization. Inglobalization it is very important to get more demand of our industrial product in the world. Inglobal market to reduce the cost and increase the efficiency of product is the main aim ofbusiness to earn profit.
10. Personal Challenges for Global Manager – Richard L. Daft (2006) When managing in foreign countries, they need for personal learning and growth iscritical. If the manager is culturally flexible, easily adapt to new situation and way for doingthings. A tendency to be electronic, to believe that own cultural value. For example Dutch havelearned English and French, German to interact with them for take place in global economy.Most managers faced the problem in foreign assignment of homesickness, loneliness, andcultural shock like frustration, unfamiliar, and anxiety about what to do and how to do. In foreigncountry Culture will completely different in language, foods, values, benefits and way of doingthing. Manager in foreign country may have cope with political issue, government corruption,threats of violence and other contextual factor without any kind of support system.My view about Personal Challenges of Global Manager The global manager also faced many problems in the global world to run their business.The managers have many challenges in working in global market. Ti has be challenges fromdifferent culture of the country, language, foods, values and also changes in lifestyle. It is veryimportant to the global manager to have capacity to learn in new situation and understanding.
11. Traits of Global Manager – V. A. Avadhani (2004) The traits of global manager are different factors. First is rapidly change in the world hewill informed and highly conversant in the core operation of company. Change in rule andcompetition then managers have also changed their competitive knowledge. In decision makingmanager seeks various alternative site and location – where the row material are located, wherethe market exist, what are the cost efficient methods relating to the input and output. The globalmanager has to inform of the law and regulation, social and political system, habits and customand totality of the economic forces, operating in all countries in which he operating.My view about Traits of Global manager In globalization manager have faced many traits. The managers have traits from thechange in the global market instantly. Also change in the rules and regulation of governmentpolicies. It has trait from the changing or different market competition in globalization. The maintrait to the manager from the information, which getting through the different places may havemany circumstances.Magazines ReviewGrowth of Globalization in India and China – Andre Buckley - Time Magazine Twenty years ago there are 7000 MNCs. Today’s figure is 35000. Out of 500 MNC’s 200are already existed in India. 300 are operating in China. China has better economic growth,stable political system and favorable government policy toward the foreign investment. Indianstax structure is not free for foreign investment. India not give exist policy for the labor.My View- In short according to me China is very liberal and generous to foreign investment.Unlikely India, which explain large foreign investment but actually need it. Not stablegovernment policy and tax structure are responsible for India lost 100 MNC’s.
12. Journal ReviewGlobal managers career competencies- Career Development International (2008) The aim of this study is therefore to increase our understanding of this under-researchedgroup of global manager whose responsibility is to act as worldwide coordinators. Specifically,the study examines the career competencies that guide individuals being a global manager. Wefocus on career competencies as previous IHRM studies have argued that understanding thenature of working internationally can be well captured by the career issues it raises (Peltonen, 1997;  Suutari, 2003). guiding individuals towards career opportunities in whichthese competencies are valued ( DeFillippi and Arthur, 1994).My view – According to me the journal is describing about the competencies in the globalmarket to the global manager. The today’s world is global world and managers have manycompetitions to the manager about their product. without facing the competition the globalmanager not successful in foreign assignmenGlobal Manager - Mumbai: Financial Express (1st April 2004) The profile of a global manager is not just looking at the global market but also thedomestic market. And the ingredients which make a global manager are simple basics which areimbibed into us but lose their prominence. Awareness, exposure, comprehension, conviction andmaturity are the qualities which make the global managers of today, said corporate. At the otherend of the spectrum, management institutions need to constantly upgrade their knowledge and besensitive to the changing environment to help create global managers.My view on Global Manager According to me the above journal have describe about the concept of global manager.The global managers have working in local market and also in global market. It have somecapability and ability to handle the global business. Some business institutions increase theirknowledge.
13. Internet ReviewsAllan Ragman – Theory of GlobalizationAllan ragman is believe globalization system in which walls between countries, markets anddisciplines are increasingly being blown away constitutes a fundamentally new state of affairsand understand it and explain it is by arbitraging all six dimensions laid out above - assigningdifferent weights to different perspectives at different times in different situations, but alwaysunderstanding that it is the interaction of all of them together that is really the defining feature ofinternational relations today. And therefore being a globalist is the only way to systematicallyconnect the dots, see the system of globalization and thereby order the chaos."My Review –According to me Allan ragman is define the theory of the globalization. In this theory heexplained about the relation with many countries in world. Global relation between differentcountries about different industries is very important for take global market place in globalmarket for your product.(www.negotioation /globalization.com)
14. Globalization Phenomenon Jessop (1994), by defining a phenomenon many variable in such short time frame,they give a name and pride of place to something that cannot be analyzed. What causesglobalization? When globalization include both the integration global market and regionalist tosuch integration the fall of saviet union and various change in family and emotionallife(Giddens),all part of super complex series of multicentric, multiscalar, multitemporal,multiform and multicasual processes”(Jessop), we might as well as “globalization is whateverhappens to be happening today”, and forget about analyses. Gerrifi, like Dicken in his less expansive moments, defines is as the integration ofproduct across borders”, rather than “globalization”. Deniele Archibugi and Jonathan Michie(1995), discuss different ways in which technology development and dissemination can beglobalized. But the in which technological development is globalized, if so is happens to be, canbe more clearly discussed assuming it is part of some all-encompassing process calledglobalization. If you wanted to speak of multifeted “globalization” as long run phenomenon, that wouldmake sense. Over centuries, people in different part in the world have become moreinterdependent and more closely connected in many different ways, due to ongoing improvementin distance-shirking technologies, and to changes in governance, markets, and commercialorganization which make those technologies. The trouble is using term to deall with short-term changes-changes on scale of fewdecade – is that in the short run there is no reason to except the different element of globalizationpackage to move forward together. Distance-shrinking technologies and their application keepmoved ahead, but in certain important aspect of connectedness and interdependence- trade andinvestment, for instance – have been known to shift abruptly into reverse for several for severaldecades.
15. Recommendation According to me Concept of the Global Manager is Reality. It very important for globalmanager to work in different countries. Global manager have well understanding for newcondition. Global manager is able to handle the situation of different countries. It has capabilityto work in different market and different situation. To given training to managers for work inglobal world. To required the knowledge of different languages to manager in global world. Theindustries have also organized seminars and campus for managers to work in global market. Global manager have ability to learn in new condition. The global manager have alsoinvolve in different global activities which happened in corporate world. The global managerhave ability plan for increase lifestyle of people in world.
16. CONCLUSION At the end of report it is the final view on the report which presented throughreport maker. In this report the final view on the Global Manager Myth or Reality. According to me the Global Manager is Reality. If you are focus on the differentview of the different authors, they are all given majority to the globalization of business. Thetoday’s businesses are expanded in entire world. So it very important to maintained the businessin world. This expanded business should running through the global managers. Manyinternational banks are working different countries but headquarter is in one country. The overallprocess of banking is done through single server which is situated in headquarter. And this wholeprocess is done global manager. He is only person who understand different policies of countriesabout bank and their rate of interest and then applied to the countries. The multinational companies also work under the global managers. When amanager is working in different countries they have facing many challenges. Challenges aboutdifferent culture, value, lifestyle. And many traits to the manager in global world to run theirbusiness. It has to consider the changing global market.
17. BIBLIOGRAPHYBooks 1) B.womark (4 Sep 2007), “Hits in Million Scale”, PN 164. 2) D. Pritchard (2004), “Federal Management Tax Laws”. 3) Eric Matson (30 April 1997), “Managing Across Border”, Prentice Hall Publication. 4) Harward V. Permulter (1969), “The Tortuous Evaluation of Multinational Corporation”, PN 9-18. 5) Jessop (1994), “International Business Management”, PN 223. 6) Richard L. Daft (2006), “New Era of Management”, PN 142. 7) T. Levvit (May, 1983), “The Globalization of Market”, PN 92-102. 8) V. A. Avadhani (2004), “Global Business”, 2nd Edition, Himalaya Publication House.Magazine 1) Andre Buckley, “International Capital Budgeting”, Time Magazine PN 138.Journal 2) Financial Express,(2004), “Global Manager” 3) Chirstopher A. Batlett(1 Aug 2003), “Hardwar Business Review”.Internet (www.negotiontion/globalization.com)