Tigers Inspiring Cubs to Read and
Virgil Middle School
Monique Garcia Dina
1) We would like to build a lasting and
positive relationship between the
staff, students, parents, and
community of Virgil Middle School
and Del Olmo Elementary School.
2) We believe this opportunity will allow
for greater student achievement in
literacy and an increase in positive
How can we do this?
“Peer-tutoring and cross-age tutoring
could best be defined as ‘an
approach in which one child instructs
another child in material on which the
first is an expert and the second a
novice (Curran, Guin, & Marshall,
What the research says about cross-age
• Tutees benefit from:
–Improvement in student motivation and
–Assistance in a private and non-
threatening manner (Robledo, 1990)
–Greater positive interpersonal
relationships or greater social acceptance
–Increase in self-esteem and positive
student attitudes (Curran, Guin, Marshall,
• Program will occur once a week for
approximately eight weeks.
• Tigers will build community with their cubs
the first day by means of ice breakers and
getting to know you games.
• For 3 weeks, tigers will teach and mentor
cubs strategies to better comprehend text in
order to make them successful readers and
students. (Tiger Directed)
• In the following 3 weeks, there will be a
gradual release of responsibility. (Guided
Instruction with their Cub)
• The last 2 weeks, will be Tiger/Cub reversed
• Plan and collaborate with partner Del
Olmo teachers-third week of Feb.
• February 24th
-Virgil and Del Olmo
• March 15-26th
-Preparation with Virgil
• Begin Program first week of April
through end of May
• End of Year Presentation-Friday
End of the Year Presentation
• Virgil students will prepare a
PowerPoint presentation showcasing
their cross-age tutoring experience
with their Del Olmo Cubs to friends,
family, and school community.
Questions, comments, concerns?
Monique C. Garcia