Essay on Pericles’ Funeral Oration
• I am giving you two possible questions. You must answer one of them, your
• The paper must be 2-3 pages. That means a minimum of 2 and I’ll call it at two
pages if you get to at least 8 inches down the second page.
• It will be double-spaced.
• You will use Times New Roman font, 12 point.
• The margins will be one inch all around.
• Page numbers will be in the bottom right-hand corner.
• The heading on the first page should consist of nothing more than your name and
a title. Do not shove in extra spaces.
• Failure to obey the above conventions will result in grade deductions.
• You’ll submit it by 11:59 PM on Sunday, October 7th, to turnitin.com. I
recommend trying to log into turnitin before. If you have last minute problems, e-
mail the paper to me by the deadline.
o Do not plagiarize. Turnitin is designed to catch plagiarism, which
includes rewording other sources (plagiarism is not just copying and
pasting). You will be able to submit to turnitin just once.
o Reference any sources you use.
• Your grade will be based on both substance and style. If you e-mail me your
completed paper by 6 PM Saturday, I am willing to look at it and make comments
on how you can improve it (don’t expect a full editing job, but general
1. Compare and contrast Pericles’ Athens with the United States. What similarities
and/or differences are there?
2. Does Pericles’ description of Athens match the reality of Athens and the Athenian
Empire? Do Athens’ deeds match Pericles’ words?
3. Assume yes or no to question 2 (you don’t need to argue for it). Whatever the possible
disconnect between words and deeds, this is how the Athenians perceived themselves.
How important is this self-perception to a state and can it (does it) overcome failure to
achieve the ideals? Is the idealism more important than the hypocrisy?