1. Mobile Enabling
The revolution has begun
The Dark Lords
2. Mobile Internet goes Mainstream
• There are over 2.4 billion Internet users in the world, of
which 1.5 billion access the Internet through their mobile
devices either as a primary or a supplementary device
• In less than 7 years, the number of smartphone users has
already crossed 1 billion as against 1.5 billion PC users
• Facebook has crossed a billion monthly active users, of
which over 819 million access it through a mobile device;
41% of Facebook’s revenues came from mobile in Q2
3. Explosion of all things Mobile
• Smartphones are expected to grow at a rate of 20% to
reach 2.2 billion by 2015
• Tablet sales are expected to grow at a rate of 33% from
118 million units in 2012 to 369 million units by 2016
• Android is expected to overtake Windows to be the
most used platform on computing devices by 2016, with
2.3 billion devices
• M-tailing (purchase of products through mobile devices)
has grown rapidly to reach 11% of total e-tailing in the
US in 2012, and is projected to reach 24% of overall etailing by 2016
4. What’s in it for Businesses ?
The growth of social media and the ability of mobile
devices to add location to the product mix is providing
opportunities for businesses to fundamentally alter
the way users engage socially or the manner in which
they purchase goods and services. This is leading to
the re-imagination of several business models.
6. India Goes Mobile!
Projections of smartphone penetration reaching 382
million by 2016 ,given IDC’s projections of 155.6 million
smartphones to be shipped to India in 2016.
7. Shift in Demographics
• The highest penetration of PC-Internet is in the
25-34 age group. Surveys such as Nielsen
indicate that the highest penetration for mobile
Internet is in the age group 15-24.
• The share of mobile Internet users in developed
countries is in the range of 20%-25% and much
higher in developing countries (China-38%,
South Africa-57%, Indonesia-44%) indicating
that mobile Internet is bridging a gap in these
8. Mobile Monetization
Mobile is the fastest growing sub-segment across
digital advertising, paid content and digital commerce
9. Mobile Advertising
that the ecosystem for mobile advertising
• It is essential to ensureadvertisingengaging ad forms, better falls in place –
Indian mobilecapabilities, more market potentialpost-click
with better targeting
at INR 2,800 Cr by 2016
management and increased awareness among advertisers.
• Given that traffic share of mobile Internet is expected
to grow to 28% by 2015,the mobile advertising
market is poised for some exciting times ahead.
10. Paid Content
• Generating revenue through paid content on mobiles is
exploited by companies across various segments.
--music and videos
--news and e-books
(Activision Blizzard and
(Apple, Sony, Comcast,
Walt Disney and Viacom),
(Amazon and News Corp).
11. App Stores
• Paid apps are driven by two types of revenue streams
(a) paid-only model, where the customer pays to
download the app from the app store
(b) “Freemium” model
• Indian Companies can focus on these app stores to
increase their brand awareness and customer base.
12. M-Commerce :: A new opportunity
Mobile commerce failed to impress until 2010 and constituted less than 3% of
e-commerce in most mature markets.
Mobile offers a differentiated value proposition against PC-Internet ecommerce models and that is “commerce on the go”.
Categories like ticketing, utility
payments, recharge and travel
are extremely well suited for
the mobile medium and have
been early ones off the blocks.
Mobile purchase of physical
products has been slower to
pick-up, but there are strong
use-cases emerging make it a
mainstream channel for
13. Who’s doing it right ?
• 14% of the total mobile web in
M-commerce was a success visits in
India and to m-commerce websites
India werebecame one of the
first Indian digital commerce
in September 2012, indicating
companies to match-up to its
significant potential. of
global peers in terms
consumer adoption of the
mobile medium. players have
The larger e-tailing
been witnessing rapid growth in
• their of BookMyShow’s saleslast
25% mobile traffic over the
happen through mobile
year, which is only likely to gather
devices. They reached this
pace goingin <2 years of
launching their mobile apps.
OTA’s (Online Travel Agents)
Cleartrip, with an outstanding mobile
interface, already gets around 12% of its
total bookings and 20% of its searches
from mobile devices
Within 6 months of launch, RedBus’
mobile apps have been downloaded
more than 380,000 times and contribute
over 7% of their overall bookings.
MakeMyTrip, India’s leading OTA, has
reported around 700,000 downloads for
its mobile app that attracts more than
8.5 million unique visitors monthly.
14. Company Focus :: Ebay.com
“Mobile continues to rewrite the commerce playbook, and we
continue to be a mobile commerce and payments leader,”
- Mr Donahoe(CEO Ebay.com)
eBay mobile finished the year with $13 billion in volume – more
than double the prior year
PayPal mobile handled almost $14 billion in payment volume, more
than triple the prior year.
15. With eBay mobile you can:
How it works
✓ Search, Bid, Buy or applications serve as from
eBay mobile Make offers on unique items a gateway to
around the world
the world's largest marketplace. You can
✓ List your items for sale in minutes
✓ Use the barcode your eBay activity on the go.
manage all scanner to find items, compare prices or
start a new listing
✓ "Free in-store pickup" option to buy items from local
At eBay, once shoppers logthem updevice, they do not need
retailers on eBay and pick in on a in a store nearby at a
to logthat's convenient to you
time in again. Their information, like shipping and credit
card your packages
✓ Track details and saved items, syncs across all their devices.
If an eBay shopper is interested in a certain handbag, and
✓ Save your favorite searches and sellers for quick access to
saves that search on
the latest inventory a computer, eBay will send alerts to her
cellphone when a and manage arrives or an auction is
✓ Revise your listingsnew handbagyour eBay business on the
about to end.
16. Mobile users are “the users of the future.”
Mobile continues to be a strength and source of growth for eBay, with
mobile enabled commerce volume jumping 75 percent.
Twenty-two percent of the company’s sales are via mobile, as eBay
added 3.2 million new mobile users across its entire suite of apps.
In Q3 2011,3 purchases / Sec made on mobile devices globally
More than 50 Million App Downloads
17. Users often complain that the mobile app would not let them
log in to their accounts and thus leave 1-star reviews for the
Challenges :: Competition
• Thanks to the glitches, some buyers were unable to update
Square, the mobile payments company, on
bids on auctionsintroduced an online marketplace
Wednesday they had been bidding on.
that could mean more competition for ebay.
"Cheers for the crap update. Ive now lost out on alot of
• auctions i was bidding on.platform openbusinesses to
Square Market is a Cant even for the damm app!
sell everything from handmade jewelry
Seriously pathetic guys", wrote one mobile shopper.and
furniture to yoga classes and salon services.
Such reviews affect the image and efficiency of M-commerce
Businesses can use the Square app on a
by eBay .
smartphone or tablet to sell their goods,
process payments and potentially reach new
customers by expanding beyond brick-andmortar confines.
18. Investments for the Future
• Ebay‘s PayPal subsidiary has acquired
Chicago-based payment processing
company Braintree for $800 million in cash.
• Braintree enables companies to seamlessly
set-up payments online through merchant
accounts, mobile apps, credit card storage,
and payment gateways.
19. Cashing in on Thanksgiving ‘13
• Compared to Thanksgiving 2012, the eBay-owned
company saw a 91 percent increase in consumers
shopping through PayPal mobile around the world.
• PayPal also revealed consumers in the US mainly took to
their mobile devices to shop throughout the day. That
being said, the busiest time was between 7:00 PM and
8:00 PM PST.
Thus, though there is a plethora of challenges in the mobile
world for ebay, the mobile world presents opportunities for
ebay to increase customer retention, market penetration
and facilitate a customizable and friendly environment for
their mobile users.
20. Company Focus :: Facebook
21. “Facebook is a Mobile company”
• Facebook accounted for 23% a monetization mechanism on
• Facebook did not have of the total time spent on apps by
mobile Internet the and the 2012, yet engaging app was
the mobile atusers start ofsecond most had large portions of
Instagram (also owned by Facebook) took up a
their traffic going mobile. They
transformational journey to become a mobile company
• Facebook started the year 2012 with zero mobile revenues and ended
which understood mobile monetization.
it with 23% of its revenues coming from mobile
• Social networksargument, Facebook is a Mobile company… and
• “Today, there is no account for 30% on mobile devices,
Facebook accounts for a major portion it.
Mobile is the perfect device for Facebook for three reasons; it allows us
to reach more people, have more engagements from the people who we
• The number of make more money for each minute people spend
reach, and be able to mobile users for Facebook has increased
on their mobile devices.”has overtaken the number of PC users
for the first time
22. Growth is Promising
23. How did they do it
• Facebook rewrote its iOS and Android apps
during 2012, making them faster and more
stable, leading to better engagement among
users. They have also started thinking
differently about unlocking the potential of
mobile advertising. While ads on the PC
interface are detached at the side, Facebook
took a bold move and integrated its
monetization into the main body of user
messages/notifications on mobile (as
Mobile Ad Challenges:
-- How to engage greater share of users
-- Deliver richer ads
Several glitches in the facebook app have
resulted in a slowdown in the mobile page
25. From Domination to..well……Utter Domination
26. Google :: The Undisputed Champion
The quality of search results has been the key driver in Google reaching its
On the mobile, additional barriers like Android- the mobile operating system
that is distributed free and usually comes with Google as the default search
iOS also provides Google as the default search engine. This has led to even
more dominance of Google on the mobile search front, with estimates that
Google holds around 95% of the mobile search market.
Mobile search already accounts for around 27% of all searches for Google.
Google has been a leader in mobile monetization accounting for 54.5% of the
total mobile ad spends in the US.
27. Google talks about mobile being at a stage where PC
search was in 1999 - mobile queries are growing
consistently, while mobile monetization techniques are
getting fine-tuned. They also talk about the system being
made simple to make it more intuitive for advertisers to
28. Google is vastly Mobile Enabled
• Their own phone – Nexus Series
• A powerful mobile browser – Chrome
• Google Goggles is a mobile application available
on Android and iOS used for image recognition
historic landmarks, business cards, and solve
• In 2011, Google announced Google Wallet, a
mobile application for wireless payments.
• A mobile social networking site – Google+
• On-the-go Navigation service of Google Maps
• Google Drive
29. All around us
Google Calendar – displays a list of all Google Calendar events on a mobile device; users
can quickly add events to personal calendars.
Gmail – access a Gmail account from a mobile device using a standard mobile web
browser. Alternatively, Google provides a specific mobile application to access and
download Gmail messages quicker. User must now provide phone number to verify
Google News – allows user to access Google News in a mobile-optimized view.
Google Search - Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and
more. ( This product can be accessed through a browser on a mobile device. )
Google Translate - Google's free online language translation service instantly translates
text and web pages.
30. Google Play has evolved globally, to understand its
potential in the Indian apps market.
31. Redbus –A brief overview
• India's biggest online bus ticketing company.
• Founded in 2006 by Phanindra Sama
• Redbus organized the disorganized bus
• Acquired by the Ibibo Group in June 2013
• Has more then 30,000 transactions a day
• Rs.600 crore revenue earned through ticket
sales in 2102-13
• Launched its mobile apps for the Android
and Windows platform.
• Received over 100,000 downloads in its first
• Mobile business has actually tripled Within
• Around 70% of redBus bookings are made
on the day of travel or one day prior.
33. Red bus- interface
34. Additional Features
• 1) Bus tracking on maps – Allow a user to open
the app when traveling to find where exactly he
is on a map view and can show further travel
details such as ETAs etc.
• 2) Push notifications – redBus could send
notifications on bus position before boarding,
arrival details for a friend who has shared his
• 3) Secure wallet integration – The app can
significantly reduce payment time if it can
integrate with a mobile banking or wallet app
and let users book tickets without the hassle of
entering details on a small screen.
35. Ticket sent as SMS
36. Hungry on the go?
Stay calm and download Zomato
37. On your mobile, Zomato is location aware and suggests to you the best restaurants
around your location. All of Zomato's features - menus, pictures,
reviews are available and supported fully on all mobile apps.
38. Zomato CEO sees a mobile only future
for the company
• lets you search menus across 16,000
restaurants in India
• Zomato lets you check ratings, reviews and
discounts of all restaurants in your city
• Zomato on your Android is also location
aware - it recommends you the best
restaurants around your current location.