1. Social MediaDoesn’t Sell Tickets 2012 Ticketing Professionals Conference Melbourne, Australia #TixProf
2. @threespot www.24UsableHours.com @devonvsmith
3. social media isn’t adver0sing
4. social media isn’t the home shopping network
5. social media isn’t a coupon
6. so what is social media?
7. why does Virgin Australia like social media?
8. why does Coca Cola like social media?
9. why does network television like social media?
10. why does Starbucks like social media? 10
11. so what about the arts?
12. We have crea0ve content
13. We’ve built personal rela0onships
14. We are natural storytellers
15. Great! So we’re done here, right?
16. Everything will be interac0ve
17. Everything will be just a click (touch) away
18. Everyone will be a content creator
19. There are no rules in social media
20. But you should be providing unique value to a unique audience on each plaDorm
21. Ok, ﬁne...but we really need to sell 0ckets
22. Then let’s talk ROI
23. What do we measure?
24. Why do we measure? 1. Motivate 2. Learn 3. Decide
25. When you see this Do you stop in your tracks to buy a 0cket?
26. what drives traﬃc to your website?
27. Do you measure the ROI of... docents greeting staying open for 1 your post show additional hour! visitors! discussions! co-productions newspaper (including staff advertising! posters displayed time)! in different in-kind neighborhoods! sponsorships!number of staff at your box press release! ofﬁce! concessions or merchandise by email (by word item! count)! subscription annual gala campaigns (by a customer’s lifetime value! beneﬁts offered (including staff hour)! to your staff! time)!
28. • Increase demand (people or frequency)• Increase loyalty• Increase willingness to pay• Move along purchasing funnel• Decrease acquisi0on or maintenance costs What’s your sales goal?
29. Customer Life9me ValueCustomer 1 Customer 2Spends $200 per year Spends $100 per yearAcquisition cost: $50 Acquisition cost: $25Maintenance costs: $15/yr Maintenance costs: $50/yrLoyalty: 5 years Loyalty: 3 years CLV: $890 CLV: $175 Social Media Fan
30. Why is social media valuable?If your social media fans will•Recommend you to their friends•Like your brand more•Be more inﬂuenced by (cheap!) social media than tradi=onal media•Spend more•Stay with you longer PS: these are all goals you can measure
31. what you measure ma/ers But there’s no secret formula h/p://bit.ly/100ways think about micro conversionsli/le steps along a path to a big goal
32. Measurement Strategy1.Address a real problem2.Have a meaningful goal3.Test several op=ons4.Track what you do, and what the results are5.Simplify your metrics to a single dashboard 32
33. the MYTH of the perfect measurement tool 33
34. What are you looking for in Facebook Insights?
35. How can you measure TwiLer? Look for outliersLook for spikes Look for inﬂuencers Look for engagement
36. How to measure a TwiLer campaign?raw data people timing content
37. coming soon from TwiLer.com?
38. Gives you some measure of impressions How similar are these demographics to your audience?
39. What to measure in YouTube AnalyNcs
40. How to measure Tumblr
41. 10 Tips for Social Media
42. In the beginning, focus on just 1 networkFacebook, 950 YouTube, 880 Twitter, 400 Tumblr, 120 Google+, 100 LinkedIn, 90 Instagram, 15 Pinterest, 10
43. Build rela0onships, not one night stands 43
44. Ask ques0ons
45. Post signage
46. But Make It Easy
47. Follow the eyeballs
48. Get to know the science behind social algorithms
49. Post as oWen as your audience reads Facebook TwiLer!"#$%&($)&*%+,-%.)+($/0&,1$!"22$
50. On YouTube, frequency competes with quality!"#$%&($)&*%+,-%.)+($/0&,1$!"22$
51. Don’t duplicate content across channels!"#$%&($)&*%+,-%.)+($/0&,1$!"22$
52. Spend your 0me wiselyLet’s assume you have a Facebook Page updated daily & YouTube channel updated monthly Learn Post & Listen Measure about Create Report Total Respond social 20 min. 10 min. post FB scan Google update, Daily 30 min. alerts & social respond to menNon public menNons 30 min. 30 min. Pick 3 metrics, Scan your Weekly save them in Google Reader 3.5 hrs. excel doc feed 3 hrs. 10 hrs. Summarize Monthly Edit YouTube ﬁndings, 27 hrs. video & upload decide what to change, report