Do you recognize these characters?
Where did they
• Every work of art starts as
• The Muppets were
Jim Henson’s idea
“I came to puppetry more
through the art side of it.
Usually I would start with
drawings and then turn them
• His grandma taught him how to sew
• He taught himself how to make puppets using books
from the library
• Jim got his first job as a puppeteer on a TV show when
he was only 18
• He got ideas from other TV shows, Disney movies, and
• He used his puppet-making skills for adult TV shows
and commercials before working on Sesame Street
and other kids’ shows
• Jim Henson used different ideas
to make each muppet character
• Some characters are based on
animals, monsters, made-up
creatures, and even humans!