CHAPTER 6 DISCUSSION QUESTIONS1) What President signed the Americans with Disabilities Act into law, & in whatyear?2) It is estimated that how many Americans are disabled?3) Specific to sport facilities, what does the statute state managers must provide?4) Wheelchair seating must comprise at least what % of the stadium total?5) What does Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 state?6) How does Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act define a "qualified handicappedperson?"7) What did the Amateur Sports Act of 1978 encourage?8) With respect to an individual, "disability" refers to what?9) What are the 5 components of the ADA?10) What does Title III of the ADA state?11) What must anyone interested in pursuing a Title III claim prove?12) What are public accommodations & commercial facilities?13) How does the ADA generally define "readily achievable?”14) Any newly constructed facility, or any facility of public accommodationoccupied after what date must meet ADA guidelines?15) What is dispersed seating?16) What is the order of the Department of Justices priority list for facilityalterations?17) Summarize the Anderson v. Little League Baseball, Inc. case.18) Performing an ADA-specific facility evaluation serves what 2 purposes?
“CHASE PUTTING THE FUSE NAME, & ITS OWN, ON THE FORUM”SBJ: MARCH 25-31PAGE: 11
1) The Great Western Forum is being renovated for how much money?-$50 MILLION2) What will the arena be renamed after the renovation is completed?-FUSE FORUM PRESENTED BY CHASE3) What is Fuse?-THE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN OWNED MUSIC CABLE NETWORK4) What 2 teams played at the Great Western Forum from 1967-99?-LA LAKERS & LA KINGS5) MSG is recasting the arena as a music-only alternative to what arena indowntown Los Angeles?-STAPLES CENTER
6) The MLB Mothers Day program started in what year?-20067) What will be added to the Rawlings Mothers Day baseball for thisseason?-PINK STITCHING, PINK WRITING, & PINK RIBBON8) The balls will be used in every game on what date?-MAY 12 (MOTHER’S DAY)9) Rawlings will deliver more than how many balls to retailers in April?-30,000
“ARIZONA STATE PUTTING GIFT CARD PACKS IN AREA COSTCOSTORES”SBJ: MARCH 25-31PAGE: 13
1) Who is Arizona States ticketing provider?-PACIOLAN2) What is Givex?-A STORED-VALUE TECHNOLOGY VENDOR3) What will the gift cards total value be?-$1004) How much will Costco sell the gift cards for?-$805) How many Costco stores in Greater Phoenix will sell the gift cards?-13
6) Gift card buyers typically spend what % above the cards value?-13% TO 18%7) What month does the campaign kick off?-JUNE8) In the future, the gift cards functionality could be expanded to coverwhat?-FOOD & MERCHANDISE CONCESSIONS9) Who is believed to be the first major college to use gift cards for buyingtickets to athletic events?-ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY
DEVELOP A LIST OF ISSUES THAT A HANDICAPPEDPERSON WOULD ENCOUNTER AT FPU.
ADAAMERICANS with DISABILITIES ACT-A WIDE-RANGING CIVIL RIGHTS LAW THAT PROHIBITS UNDERCERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, DISCRIMINATION BASED ONDISABILITY.1) WHAT PRESIDENT SIGNED THE ADA INTO LAW & IN WHATYEAR?-SIGNED INTO LAW ON JULY 26, 1990 BY PRESIDENT GEORGE H.W. BUSH.
PURPOSE-PROVIDES A CLEAR & COMPREHENSIVE NATIONAL MANDATE FORTHE ELIMINATION OF DISCRIMINATION AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITHDISABILTIES.2) IT IS ESTIMATED THAT HOW MANY AMERICANS ARE DISABLED?43 MILLION8) WITH RESPECT TO AN INDIVIDUAL, HOW DOES THE ADA DEFINE APERSON WITH A DISABILITY?1) HAS A PHYSICAL OR MENTAL IMPAIRMENT THATSUBSTANTIALLY LIMITS ONE OR MORE MAJOR LIFE ACTIVITES.2) HAS A RECORD OFSUCH IMPAIRMENT, OR3) IS REGARDED ASHAVING SUCH IMPAIRMENT.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION(EEOC)-ESTABLISHED JULY 2, 1965 BY PRESIDENT LYNDONJOHNSON.-AN INDEPENDENT FEDERAL AGENCY THATENFORCES LAWS AGAINST WORKPLACEDISCRIMINATION.-INVESTIGATES DISCRIMINATION COMPLAINTSBASED ON AN INDIVIDUAL’S GENDER, RACE, COLOR,NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, SEXUAL ORIENTATION,AGE, & DISABILITY.-EMPOWERED TO FILE DISCRIMINATION SUITSAGAINST EMPLOYERS ON BEHLAF OF ALLEGEDVICTIMS.
5) SECTION 504 OF THE REHABILITATION ACT OF 1973“NO OTHERWISE QUALIFIED HANDICAPPED INDIVIDUAL IN THEU.S. SHALL SOLELY BY REASON OF HIS HANDICAP, BEEXCLUDED FROM PARTICIAPTION IN, BE DENIED THE BENEFITSOF, OR BE SUBJECTED TO DISCRIMINATION UNDER ANYPROGRAM OR ACTIVITY RECEIVING FEDERAL FINANCIALASSISTANCE.”
7) WHAT DID THE AMATEUR SPORTS ACT OF 1978ENCOURAGE?THE DEVELOPMENT OF AMATEUR ATHLETIC PROGRAMSFOR HANDICAPPED INDIVIDUALS.
ADA AMENDMENTS ACT(ADAAA)-SIGNED INTO LAW ON SEPTEMBER 25, 2008 BY PRESIDENTGEORGE W. BUSH.-MAKES IMPORTANT CHANGES TO THE DEFINITION OF THETERM “DISABILITY” BY REJECTING THE HOLDINGS IN SEVERALSUPREME COURT DECISIONS.-THE ACT RETAINS THE ADA’S BASIC DEFINITION OF“DISABILITY.”
9) WHAT ARE THE 5 ADA 5 COMPONENTS1) DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT2) STATE & LOCAL GOVERNMENT CONCERNS3) PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION4) TELECOMMUNICATIONS5) MISCELLANEOUS
THE ADA & SPORTS FACILITIES3) WHAT DOES THE STATUTE STATE THAT MANAGERS MUSTPROVIDE FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH DIABILITIES?“REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS”DEMONSTRATING A GOOD FAITH EFFORT TO MAKE THEFACILITY AS DISABILITY-FRIENDLY AS POSSIBLE FOR USERS &EMPLOYEES.
4) WHEELCHAIR SEATING MUST COMPRISE AT LEASTWHAT % OF THE STADIUM TOTAL?1%
12) WHAT ARE PUBLIC ACCOMMODATIONS & COMMERCIALFACILITIES?ENTITIES THAT ARE OPERATED BY PRIVATE ENTITIES WHOSEOPERATIONS AFFECT COMMERCE.-THESE ENTITIES INCLUDE: RESTAURANTS, HOTELS, MUSEUMS,LIBRARIES, PARKS, ETC (SEE TABLE 6.1 ON PAGE 86)