CHAPTER 3 DISCUSSION QUESTIONS 1) What are the benefits for studying leisure history? 2) What are some factors that have influenced the development of the recreation movement in the 20th century? How did these factors influence the recreation movement? 3) What are some factors that will influence the development of the recreation movement in the 21st century? How will these factors influence the recreation movement?
What are the benefits of studying leisure history? 1) A knowledge/understanding of leisure history can promote a better understanding of leisure-related problems in society today. - “Those who do not understand the past are condemned to relive it.” 2) Understanding leisure history can can help provide explanations for leisure behavior in society. -The better that leisure behavior can be understood, the easier it is to determine how to improve society’s leisure services and well-being.
3) A knowledge of leisure history provides a basis for comparison and evaluation of leisure services in today’s society.
-Are leisure opportunities better or worse today than in the past?
-What areas have shown progression?
-What areas have shown a decline?
4) Society can learn to more effectively deal with leisure related social and technological changes in the future. -Society should not repeat its mistakes but should strive to repeat its successes. 5) Examining leisure history facilitates a clearer understanding of the multitude of factors that affect leisure in society. -Factors include: Religion Influential People Technology Wars Economy 6) If there is a greater consciousness of history, perhaps individuals will view present leisure behavior patterns with a more broader, more philosophical historical perspective. -We view many forms of recreational activity of past societies as immoral….won’t societies of the future think the same as us?
FACTORS THAT HAVE INFLUENCED THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE RECREATION MOVEMENT IN 20th CENTURY
Creates a greater consciousness of the need for accountability in publicly provided leisure services.
Proposition 13 in California.
14) Post-World War II Baby Boom
More children = more of a need for the recreation movement to address their recreational needs.
15) Aging of American Society
Greater demand for recreational opportunities for older population.
As older population increases, the demand increases.
FACTORS THAT WILL AFFECT THE RECREATION MOVEMENT IN THE 21ST CENTURY
1) Increasing Globalization: -“Americanization” affecting leisure/recreation in some countries -Other countries influencing US leisure activities 2) Terrorism: -Improvements in security for recreation programs -Tourism/Travel related recreation activities affected -“Carpe Diem” Quality of life has become important again -Recreation activities for the purpose of community togetherness 3) Technology: -Passive vs Active forms of leisure activities