2. The South Secedes from theUnion- December 20th, 1860 South Carolina was the ﬁrst to secede. They seceded to perpetuate the institution of slavery.
3. Fort Sumter is attacked- April 12-14,1861 The attack is what started the American Civil War
4. The Battle of Antietam- September 17th, 1862 The Battle of Antietam ended the Confederate Army of Northern Virginias ﬁrst invasion into the North and led to Abraham Lincolns issuance of the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation.
5. The EmancipationProclamation-January 1st, 1863 The Emancipation Proclamation helped to free the slaves.
6. Gettysburg- July 1-3, 1863 The bloodiest battle of The Civil War, also known as the turning point of The Civil War.
7. The Gettysburg Address isgiven.- November 19th, 1863 It was delivered at the dedication of the Soldiers National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on November 19, 1863, during the American Civil War
8. Wade Davis Bill is passed- July 2nd, 1864 It was a bill proposed for the Reconstruction of the South written by two Radical Republicans
9. Freedmans Bureau iscreated- March 3rd, 1865 The Freedmens Bureau was a federal agency that set up schools and hospitals for African Americans and it distributed clothes, food, and fuel throughout the South.
10. Surrender at Appomattox Courthouse- April 1865 Gen. Robert E. Lee surrenders to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, bringing an end to the Civil War after four years of battle.
11. Abraham Lincoln isAssassinated- April 14th, 1865 It extinguished the mood of reconciliation which followed the news of Appomattox, and caused a wave of bitterness in the North against the South in general
12. The 13th Amendment ispassed.- December 6th, 1865 the 13th amendment abolished slavery in the United States and provides that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.".
13. Ku Klux Klan is created.- Dec 24th, 1865 Ku Klux Klan,is an American organization that supports white supremacy by using violence, particularly with African Americans.
14. First Reconstruction Act is Passed- March 2nd, 1867 The First Reconstruction Act divided the South into ﬁve districts, each governed by martial law.
15. Second Reconstruction Act- March 23, 1867 An Act supplementary to an Act entitled "An Act to provide for the more eﬃcient Government of the Rebel States," and to facilitate reconstruction.
16. Andrew Johnson isImpeached- February 24th, 1868 Known for being a very powerful man and for his Indian Removal Act.
17. Ulysses S Grant becomespresident.- November, 1868 He was appointed by Lincoln. he was very important in the Civil War.
18. The Compromise of 1877 is passed- 1877 The Democrats agreed to give Hayes the victory in the presidential election he had not clearly won. In return, the new President agreed to remove the remaining federal troops from southern states.
19. The 14th Amendment is passed.- Feb 3rd, 1913 All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.