Myths about People ,Process ,Technology
Systems are evolving into a complex maze of
terms ,components, vendor products and
eventually face failure due to marketecture
All technology change is expounded from a
vendor’s perspective and the innate tendency is
to over engineer.
Technology should be an enabler and nothing
Story time … A viewpoint
• A simple story ( a.k.a case study)
• Antithesis to Complex Systems/Process
Engineering a.k.a Over Engineering
• The three simple rules
Some statistics for “our example”
• World record in best time management.
• Listed in “GUINESS BOOK of World Records”.
• “Best in Overall Process Efficiency”- Harvard
• Six Sigma Certified
• ISO 2000 Certified
Some More Statistics
• Error Rate : 1 in 8 million transactions
• Six Sigma performance (99.999999)
• Cost of service - Rs. 200/month ($ 4.00/month)
• Standard price for all (Weight, Distance, Space)
• 90 Million Turnover approx every year.
[200,000*200=400,000,00 p.m. i.e 48 crore p.a.]
• “No strike” record
• Technological Backup : Nil.
What are we talking about ??
Lunch Box Delivery
Organization for the largest
metropolitan city in India
Dell and Wal-Mart's
A complex logistics system
manages to deliver 200 000
hot meals to workplaces all
over the city by 12.30pm
Our Chief Antagonist
A dabbawalla - Job to carry and
deliver freshly made food from
home in lunch boxes to office
workers and back.
Total area to cover: 60 Kms
Number of boxes to deliver : 2,00,000 Tiffin Boxes
i.e. 4,00,000 transactions every day.
Time taken : 3 hrs
•Only three layers of management ( lean organization)
•Tools of the trade ( two bicycles, a wooden crate barrow, Gandhi cap)
•Pedal power, public transport, a simple system of color-coded lunchboxes
KISS principle in its most basic form
and a logistics management organization with
NO FRIGGING COMPUTERS at all
Low-tech May be but Lean absolutely ( Process Efficiency )
The barely literate and barefoot delivery men who form links in the extensive delivery chain,
There is no system of documentation at all.
A simple color coding system doubles as an ID system for the destination and recipient.
Takeaway: Just enough process and systems engineering for fulfillment of
A Ode to the Human Element in Systems Engineering
It’s all about PEOPLE , TECHNOLOGY is just an enabler. Technologists lose sight of the
true purpose of technology.
Purpose Driven Systems/Process Engineering
• The practice of Systems Engineering/Process Engineering -
making long and rapid succession of sub optimal decisions
made mostly in partial light.
• Good Enough for each part is usually the best for the whole
system (case for no over-engineering ) Always consider the
gestalt component. (Consider the whole gamut).
• Even more, the systems architectural decisions made today
may not be viable in the future in rapidly changing industry.
• Every Systems architecture lives in the threat of being
obsolete, Every technology component has a Half Life. (State
of fulfillment of purpose is temporal)
Fun Fact :
The New York Times reported in 2007 that the 125 year old dabbawala
industry continues to grow at a rate of 5-10% per year.
Business Process Optimized
Enterprise Architecture Evangelist
My Day Job – Enterprise Architect
My mantra – Less is More
My focus – Simple, Elegant Design that really works