Final presentations lxb123530 attempt_2014-05-06-22-47-10_20140506 retrofitting suburban retail final
Retrofitting Suburban Retail
Case Study: Alamo Drafthouse
By Louis Burns
May 8th, 2014
Fitts’ Law (too
build a Mental
Model of site
Low rise fits
Standard Urban Infill
• Increase density
• Mix uses
• More walkability
• More green spaces
• Alexander, Christopher. A Pattern Language. Oxford University Press. 1977.
• Bally, Daniel. “Thinking Outside the Blocks – Exploring Alternatives to Traditional Neighborhood
Design.” ESRI International User Conference. 7/15/2010.
• Ben-Joseph, Eran and David Gordon. “Hexagonal Planning in Theory and Practice”. Journal of Urban
Design, Vol. 5, No. 3, 237-265, 2000.
• Buckley, Michael. “Urban Infill: Mastering Investment Hurdles and Design Opportunities”. AIA
Dallas. Spring 2014.
• Dunham-Jones, Ellen and June Williamson. Retrofitting Suburbia. John Wiley & Sons. 2010.
• Gresham, Smith and Partners. “Complete Street Design Guidelines” Website:
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/bikeped/CompleteStreets.pdf. Retrieved 05/01/2014.
• Lidwell, Holden and Butler. Universal Principles of Design . Rockport Publishers. 2003.
• Martin, Leslie and Lionel March eds, Urban Space and Structure. “The grid as generator.” Reprinted
in Time-Saver Standards for Urban Design. Ed by Donald Watson, Alan Plattus and Robert Shibley.
McGraw Hill. 2003.
• “Site Design, Parking and Zoning for Shopping Centers”. American Planning Association Website:
http://www.planning.org/pas/at60/report59.htm. Retrieved 05/06/2014.
• Tachieva, Galina. Sprawl Repair Manual. Island Press. 2010.
• Texas Donut Precident. Website: Google Maps.
78f?hl=en. Retrieved 05/01/2014.
• Xceligent. Website: xceligent.com. Retrieved 04/16/2014.