1. An educational platform By Epona Medical B.V.Rotterdam, Netherlands
2. Dervis Demirtas, CEO Epona Medicalaerospace engineering,specialist in control & simulation
4. The LAP-X offers residents the opportunity to train in a safe and controlled environment, where mistakes can be made without harming actual patients. “From mistakes we learn”
5. 2nd generation controller hardware design Goal: “Mimic the exactinstrument movements” Specially designed simulator for laparoscopy
6. New Controller Gen2+ “Training becomes even more realistic” Available in January 2012
7. Advantages of LAP-X: LAP-X Hardware Gen2+ Real surgical instruments inserted through an incision point. The controller mimics reality closely. The touch and feel are similar to a real surgery. The training starts with the same instruments used on real surgeries; narrowing the gap between training and real surgeries. Footpedals for cauterization and coagulation
8. Advantages of LAP-X: organized trainingWith LAP-X simulator, it is now possible to organize the trainingSimulator will accelerate the learning curve for skills acquistion.The shape of the learning curve is likely to be different for everystudent; however, the outcome should be identical. “Proficientskills level” , standardizing trainingThe best way and the fastest method of skills training is tobreak down the training in smaller segments andfocus one by one before combining to one later.
9. Advantages of LAP-X: Better skilled surgeonsShorten the surgery time, increase the number of surgeriesLessen the failures/mistakes made by unskilledresidents/studentsShorten recovery time of patients
10. Advantages of LAP-X: Better skilled surgery assistantsDuring a surgery, it is very common that surgery assistants need to assistsurgeons by holding camera/endoscope or an instrument.With the LAP-X, surgery assistants will understand the difficulties of scopeassisting and reducing “learning time” during real surgeries.Possibility to add E-learning content to help surgery assistants understanddifferent surgery instruments used in a surgery.Better skilled assistants will increase the efficiency of a surgery.
11. Advantages of LAP-X: Reviewing the results local and online All the results are stored on a personal profile. Review the results behind your own desk and computer. Receive a certificate of proof after finishing a curriculum. This cirtificate is ony valid for 6 months.
12. Advantages of LAP-X: Administration modusOverview of all the students in one page.Review the scores behind your own desk on your own computer.Monitor when, how long the students train and their progresses overtime.Add E-learning content.Add exam questions.Create and name your own curriculum. This will be available for aselected students or for all of the students.
13. + Personal portfolioLAP-X skills + curriculum platform for education + E-learning
14. Advantages of LAP-X: Measured parametersNumber of mistakesPathlength of the left and right controllersTimeDropped objectsIn development: Motion signature: every user have an unique 3Dsignature.
15. Advantages of LAP-X: Increased training effectMotivate students with challenging exercisesSerious gaming elements added to motivate and challenge theresidentsCompete with other residents worldwideCreate mandatory training schedulesDeliver a variation in training to increase training effect
16. In our opinion the most important one to start with is that the training must be a mandatory part of the curriculum to obtain the expected result. Also;Interval and repetition of the training is necessary. We would advise to pass the curriculum every 6 months to maintain the certificate.
17. The LAP-X trainer delivers the professor tools to organizemandatory training: Monitoring the progress of the students remotely Creating his own curricula Insert E-learning content Insert exam questions Set up a deadline for residents to finish a curriculum Automatic warnings supported (in development) Set up a minimal requirement for a weekly training (in development)
18. Advantages of LAP-X: Support and serviceReplacement program of the hardware: always up-to-date with the latestinnovation of the LAP-X controller in the same generation line (*)Support and service on site, by phone and by emailSupport in Dutch, German, English, Japanese,Chinese, Vietnamese, French, Spanish, Portuguese,Korean, Indonesian, Thai and Arabic*During the license period. First year license is included in the package
19. Advantages of LAP-X: Software updates, licenseDuring the license period, module extension and new exercises areregularly and automatically updated at no extra cost (internetconnection is necessary)Still able to train with LAP-X after the license expiresUnlimited user registration
20. Advantages of LAP-X: Updates, licenseMost realistic hardware interface in the market (the onlysimulator with real surgical instruments)Hardware and software is always up-to-date with a licenseFirst year license is included
21. Epona Medical provides training and simulation for all minimal invasive disciplines General Surgery Orthopedics Gynaecology Urology Surgery assistants Medical students Etc...
22. Positioning the LAP-X in the training curriculumCERTIFICATION I CERTIFICATION II Basic skills Courses and lectures Novice skills LAP-X Basic curriculum Learn procedures from lectures LAP-X novice I Basic exercises with the box and books LAP-X novice II Books Multimedia medium to obtain FLS box task procedural knowledge  LAP-X E-learning and exams CERTIFICATION IV CERTIFICATION III Practical courses Intermediate skills Training on a life animal LAP-X intermediate I Training on a cadaver LAP-X intermediate II  Novice III Suturing task and techniques in a box Surgery Assist and/or operate on real patient
23. Free update from gen2 to gen2+controllers.
24. LAP-X available now in Netherlands United States Brasil Germany France Belgium United Kingdom Japan South Korea Malaysia Indonesia Vietnam Mexico Thailand China Oman UAE Qatar Kuwait Bahrain Saudi Arabia Iran Soon available in: Italy Russia Argentia Chile Peru India Canada Etc...
26. Basics of MIS(Minimal Invasive Surgery)
27. Training1. Fulcrum effectExplanation: The instrument tip moves in the opposite direction of the handle.
28. Training2. Converting 3D movements to 2D screenExplanation: Training for the decreased depth-perception on screen.
29. Training3. Brain training of converting X,Y,Z movements to radial coordinates.Explanation: A human is used to thinking in x,y,z displacements with six Degrees Of Freedom (DOF). During MIS the brain has to convert this to radial coordinates with 4 DOF, that means thinking in a radius and angle of the instrument.
30. Training4. Camera misalignment.Explanation: Repositioning the camera may influence the instrument movements on the screen dramatically, this effect is well known by experienced surgeons and its training should be paid more adequate attention.
31. Training5. Working with both hands simultaneouslyExplanation: LAP-X provides exercises to train the residents to operate with the dominant as well the non-dominant hand.
32. Training6. Panic situationExplanation: The resident will be trained to stay calm during a panic situation and given the chance to correct the mistake within a time limitation.
33. Training7. Move gently and precisely with your instrumentsExplanation: Working gently and precisely has better outcomes than handling the movements uncontrolledly and fast. This will lessen the mistakes and tissue damages caused by fast and uncontrolled movements.