We also asked resident’s for their views on ideas to inform the review which we will come back to
Review of street cleansing and ground maintenance services
Review of Street
Northern Area Community Forum
8 July 2013
Street Cleansing and Grounds maintenance
• Parks and sports pitch maintenance
• Grass cutting Parks, Cemeteries & Roadside verges
• Street cleaning and litter picking.
• Leaf clearance
• Gully emptying/Channel sweeping
The District Council faces a 22.4% grant
reduction from Government over the next two
years (on top of a 15.6% cut in 2012/13 and
16.2% in 2011/12).
The Government’s recent Spending Review will
worsen this position
To help deal with these cuts, we’ve identified
potential savings within our street cleansing
and grounds maintenance services.
In 2012 we commissioned an independent review of
our street cleansing and grounds maintenance
Its aim was to deliver service improvements whilst
at the same time making on-going savings
Review undertaken by Association of Public Sector
We want your views on the resulting service
changes and recommended ‘core standards’ we
propose to implement from January 2014
The main recommendations are to:
• Merge the two services into a single ‘Clean & Green’ service
• Establish two area-based teams so that we are more efficient
• Agree a new set of ‘core standards’ of service
• Improve standards of key services for the general public, but
scale back the high level of service to some local sports clubs
• Improve education and carry out enforcement to help reduce
litter, dog fouling
• Together, these would help make annual savings of £142,000
• Public consultation (survey), including via the website –
closes 24 July – www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/cleanandgreen
• District Council Area Community Forums (July)
• Discussions with Sports Clubs, Parish & Town Councils
and other stakeholder organisations (July)
• Employees - ongoing
We want your views to help inform the new
Q1. We feel that a key aim of the new service should be
to improve the standard of the street cleansing and
grounds maintenance services we provide for the
However, this would mean scaling back the level of
some services which benefit a relatively small
number of people
What are your views on this?
Q2. The new proposals are summarised in the forms
we have circulated this evening. Some of these are:
• Mowing parks, play areas and highway verges in
towns more often
• Responding to town centre litter problems quicker
• Maintaining cemeteries and churchyards more often
• Maintaining bowling greens and cricket pitches less
• Reducing the litter bins in locations visited less
often and where more than one bin is available
We welcome your views on these proposals?
Q3 Also proposed is that we increase
enforcement against people littering and
allowing dogs to foul
What are your views on this?
Are there any other comments you’d like
to make to help shape the new service?
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.