Shinn-Zong Lin, M.D., Ph.D. (John SZ Lin)
Professor and Chairman of Neuro-Medical Scientific Center
Professor of Neurosurgery of Tzu Chi University
Superintendent, Tzu Chi General Hospital
Office address : Tzu Chi General Hospital, 707, Sec.3, Chung-Yang Rd. Hualien,
Office Tel : 886-3- 8564199 or 8561825 ext. 3202
Fax. No. : 886-3-8575366
Medical Education (M.D. Program):
National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan.
August, 1973 --- July, 1980
Neurosurgical Board Program: Residency in Neurosurgery,
Tri-Service General Hospital, Taipei,Taiwan.
July, 1980 --- June, 1986
Graduate Student, Dept. Physiology and Biophysics, and
Dept. Neurological Surgery, State University of New York at
Stony Brook. U.S.A.
August, 1986 --- August, 1989
Master of Medical Management, Tulane University, USA
October 1998- May 2000
Associate professor of Neurosurgery
National Defense Medical Center
Taipei, Taiwan 1989 --- 1995
Professor of Neurosurgery
National Defense Medical Center
Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C. 1996 --- present
Chairman, Division of Neurosurgery
Tri-Service General Hospital
Taipei, Taiwan 1997 --- 2000
Chairman, Department of Neurological Surgery
Tri-Service General Hospital
Taipei, Taiwan 2000 --- 2001/11
Professor of Neurosurgery
Tzu Chi University --- 2001/12--- present
Chairman of Neuro-Medical Scientific Center,
Tzu Chi General Hospital, 2001/12--- present
Tzu Chi General Hospital, 2001/12--- 2002/6
Tzu Chi Nursing Journal, 2001/7--- present
Tzu Chi Medical Journal, 2001/7--- present
Acta Neurological Taiwanica, 2002--- present
International College of Surgeons, 2002/10--- 2004/10
Tzu Chi General Hospital, 2002/7--- present
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Medical License, Taiwan, 1980
Board of Surgery, Taiwan, 1984
Board of Neurosurgery, Taiwan, 1985
Board of Eudoscopic Surgery, Taiwan 1996
Board of Critical Care, Taiwan 1999
Board of Hospitsal management, Taiwan, 2001
RESEARCH PROGRAMS (2002~)
1、Bridge transplantation with nerves and neurotrophic factor in Parkinson’s disease.
Aug. 2002 – July, 2003.
2、Establish a cell therapy system by nuclear transfer for Parkinson’s Disease. Aug.
2003 – July, 2006.
3、Effects of neuroprotective drugs and stem cell transplantation on brain injury. Jan.
2004 – Dec. 2004.
4、Effects of stem cell omplantation and GM-CSF administration on neurotransmitter
profile in rat models of ischemic stroke. Jan. 2004 – Dec. 2004.
5、The investigation of the mechanism of pakin gene and AR-JP (Autosomal
Recessive Juvenile Parkinsonism). Feb. 2004 – Jan. 2005
Referred papers (2003)
1. Chen-Fu Chang, Shinn-Zong Lin, Yung-Hsiao Chiang, Marisela Morales, Jenny
Chou, Pamela Lein, Hui-Ling Chen, Barry J. Hoffer, Yun Wang. (2003)
Intravenous Administration of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-7 After Ischemia
Improves Motor Function in Stroke Rats. Stroke 34: 558-564.
2. Sheng-hao Chiu, Hsing-chu Chen, S-Z Lin. A Survey of Ambulatory Customer’s
Need by Satisfaction. (2003) Tzu Chi Nursing J. 2 (3): 49-58.
3. Cheng-Yoong Pang, Numan Tsai, Woei-Cherng Shyu, Horng-Chi Harn, Shinn-
Zong Lin. (2003) An Introduction to Stem Cell Research. Tzu Chi Nursing Journal
2 (1): 7-12.
4. C.C. Lee1, S.Z.Lin1, Y. Wang2, J.J. Lin3, J.Y. Liu4, G.J. Chen5, Y.H. Chiang5, J.C.
Liu6, and F.C.Zhou6. (2003) First human ventral mesencephalon and striatum
cografting in a parkinson patient. Acta Neurochir 87: 159-162.
5. J.J. Linab, K.C. Yuehc, D.C. Changa, C.Y. Changc, Y.H. Yehd, and S.Z. Line. (2003)
The homozygote 10-copy genotype of variable number tandem repeat dopamine
transporter gene may confer protection against Parkinson’s disease for male, but not
to female patients. J. of the Neurological Science 209: 87-92.
6. J.S. Kou, S.Z. Lin,1 (2003) Basic Research of Ischemic brain injury in Taiwan.
Acta Neurologica Taiwanica: 1 (12): 259-263.
7. Cheng-yoong Pang, Numan Tsai, Woei-cherng Shyu, Horng-chi Harn, Shinn-Zong
Lin. (2003) An Introduction to Stem Cell Research. Tzu Chi Nursing Journal 2 (1):
8. Chain-Fa Su, Tomor Harnod, Shin-Yuan Chen, Tsung-Lang Chiou, Wu-Fu Chen,
Ming-Hsiung Liaw1, Wen-Lin Hsu1, S.Z.Lin. (2003) Stereotatic Radiosurgery in
the Management of Brain Tumors. Tzu Chi Medical Journal 15 (5): 281-292.
9. Tu-Chen Yen, Yi-Hsin Weng, Kai-Yuan Tzen, Wen-Sheng Huang, Shinn-Zong
Lin, Yung-Hsiao Chiang, Nan-Tsing Chiu, Wen-Juh, Chin-Song Lu, Ying-Kai Fu,
Shiaw-Pyng Wey. (2003) Diagnostic effecacy and safety of 〔 99mm
Tc 〕 TRODAT-1 SPET for the patient with Parkinson’s diseases and healthy
subjects: an open –labled, healthy volunteer controlled, muti-center trial. European
J. of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. (in press)
10. Mei-Jen Wanga, Kee-Ching G. Jengb, Jon-Son Kuoc, Huan-Lian Chengb , Hsin-Yi
Huanga, Wu-Fu Chena , Shinn-Zong Lina, (2003) c-jun N-terminal kinase and to a
lesser p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase regulate inducible nitric oxide synthase
expression in hyaluronan fragments-stimulated BV-2 microglia. J. of
Neuroimmunology. (in press)
11. *Shinn-Zong Lin1, *Woei-Cherng Shyu1 , Ming-Fu Chiang2, Hui-I Yang1, Peterus
Thajeb3, Hung Li4. (2003) Neuregulin-1 Reduces Ischemia-Induced Brian Damage
in Rats. Neurobiology of Aging. (in press)
12. *Shinn-Zong Lin1, *Woei-Cherng Shyu1 , Keiichi Saeki3, Astsutaka Kubosaki3,
Yoshitsugu Matsumoto3, Takashi Onodera3, Ming-Fu Chiang2 , Peterus Thajeb4,
Hung Li5. Hyperbaric oxygen enhances the expression of prion protein and heat
shock protein 70 in a mouse neuroblastoma cell line. (2003) Cellular and Molecular
Neurobiology. (in press)
International Conference papers (2000 ~ present)
1. Y.H. Chiang, T.H. Tsai, S. Z. Lin, X. Xiao, S.L. Chen, Tsao Y.P. Treatment of
stroke with recombinant adeno-associated virus vector expressing GDNF in adult
rats. The American Association of Neurological Surgeons Abstr., San
Francisco, CA, USA; April 8-13, 2000.
2. S. Z. Lin, G.J. Chen, D.T. Ju, Y.H. Chiang VIM thalamotomy in addition to
posterioventral pallidotomy for generalized dystonia. The American Association
of Neurological Surgeons Abstr., San Francisco, CA, USA; April 8-13, 2000
3. Y.H. Chiang, C. V. Borlongan, S. Z. Lin, F.C. Zhou., M. Morales, B.J. Hoffer, Y.
Wang Bridging and intranigral transplants of fetal kidney tissues exert reparative
and protective effects against Parkinsonism in adult rats. 7th American Society for
Neural Transplantaion and Repair Abstr., Clearwater, Florida, USA; April
4. S. Z. Lin, T. Hayashi, T.P. Su, Y.H. Chiang, P.R. Sanberg, B.J. Hoffer, Y. Wang,
C.V. Borlongan Detection of GDNF in cultured and grafted HNT neurons.
American Society for Neural Transplantaion and Repair Abstr., Clearwater,
Florida, USA; April 27-30, 2000.
5. H.I. .Ma, S. Z. Lin, S.L. Chen, T.H. Tsai, Y.H. Chiang, X. Xiao, J. Li, Y.P. Tsao
Combined gene therapy of ischemia-induced brain damage using two separate
adeno-associated virus vectors expressing interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and
glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor. American Society of Gene Therapy
Abstr., Denver, Colorado, USA; May 31-June 9, 2000.
6. Y.H. Chiang, C.V. Borlongan, S. Z. Lin, M. Morales, B.J. Hoffer, Y. Wang
Bridging transplant of fetal kidney tissues exerts reparative effects in adult
Parkinsonian rats. Congress of Neurological Surgeons Abstr., San Antonio,
Texas, USA; Sep. 23-28, 2000.
7. S. Z. Lin, Y.H. Chiang, G.J Chen, C.M. Cheng, D.T. Ju Key-hole supraorbital
approach for anterial cranial fossa lesions. Congress of Neurological Surgeons
Abstr., San Antonio, Texas, USA; Sep. 23-28, 2000.
8. S. Z. Lin, G.J. Chen, Y.H. Chiang. Surgical treatment of Parkinson’s disease-
pallidotomy electrode implantation and neural transplantation. Asian Conference
of Neurological Surgeons Abstr., Nagoya, Japan; Nov. 5-9, 2000
9. S. Z. Lin, Y.H. Chiang, B.J. Hoffer, Y. Wang Adeno-TK and antiangiogenesis
gene therapy in malignant brain tumor. Society of Neurology Abstr., Taipei,
Taiwan; Apr. 14-15, 2001.
10. Y.H. Chiang, S. Z. Lin, F.C. Zhou, Y. Wang, B.J. Hoffer. (2001) Cell
Transplantation in Neurodegenerative Disorders. Society of Neurology Abstr.,
11. S. Z. Lin, Y.H. Chiang, T. Hayashi, T.P. Su, Y. Wang, B.J. Hoffer. (2001)
Coadministration of 1,25 (OH)2 D3, and retinoic acid attenuates cortical infarction
induced by middle cerebral arterial ligation. 20th International Symposium on
Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and Function Abstr., Taipei, Taiwan.
12. Y.H. Chiang, C.F. Chang, S. Z. Lin, P. Kaplan, J. Chou, H.L. Chen, J. Cadet, Y.
Wang, B.J. Hoffer. (2001) BMP-6 decreases ischemia-induced apoptosis in rats.
20th International Symposium on Cerebral Blood Flow, Metabolism and Function
Abstr., Taipei, Taiwan.
Books in English
1. S-Z Lin, T-L Chiou, M-Y Liu. (1994) Optic canal decompression for traumatic
blindness via the pterional extradural approach. Skull Base Surgery (Samii M, ed)
Basel, Karger 310-313.
2. S-Z Lin, Y-H Chiang, W-S Song, Y-M Fu, M-Y Liu. (1994) Cavernous sinus
operation for carotid-cavernous fistula. Skull Base Surgery (Samii M, ed) Basel,
3. M-Y Liu, S-Z Lin, C-F Su, Y-H Chiang. (1994) Giant acoustic neurinoma-surgical
experience of 35 patients. Skull Base Surgery (Samii M, ed) Basel, Karger
4. H Nakagawa, S-Z Lin, D Bereczki, G Gesztelyi, T Otsuka, L Wei, F-J Hans, V-R
Acuff, J-L Chen, K-D Pettigrew, C-S Patlak, R-G Blasberg, J-D Fenstermacher.
(1995) Blood volumes, hematocrits, and transit-times in parenchymal
microvascular systems of the rat brain. Diffusion and Perfusion Magnetic
Resonance Imaging (D. Le Bihan, ed), Reven Press 193-200.
5. J-D Fenstermacher, L Wei, V Acuff, S-Z Lin, J-L Chen, D Bereczki, T Otsuka, H
Nakata, A Tajima, F-J Hans, J-F Ghersi-Egea, W Finnegan, G Richardson, H
Haspel, C Patlak. (1995) The dependency of influx across the blood-brain barrier
on blood flow and the apparent flow-independence of glucose influx during stress.
New Concepts of a Blood-Brain Barrier (J. Greenwood, ed). Pleenum Press, New
INVITED LECTURES AND SEMINARS (2003)
1、107. January 4, 2003: Combined Symposium of Neurosurgery, Taitun. “Cell and
Gene therapy in neurodrgenerative disease”.
2、January 13, 2003: IBMS SEMINAR, Taipei. “Cell and Gene therapy in Stroke”.
3、February 24, 2003: The 3rd International Mt. BANDADI Symposium for
Neuroscience and The 4th Pan-Pacific Neurosurgery Congress, Hawaii. “Combined
Suicide Gene and Antiangiogenesis Gene Therapy in Malignant Brain Tumor”.
4、September 11, 2003: 2003 Annual Convention of Tzu Chi International Medical
Association, Hualien. “Recent advances in health care of Tu Chi Hospital”.
5、September 13-15, 2003: Mainland China. “1. The Responsibility of Medical
Center in Post genome era. 2. The global responsibility of Medicine Mission of
Tzu Chi Foundation”.
6、September 27, 2003: The 2nd Symposium for Recent Progress of Cancer in Eatern
Taiwan, Hualien. “Gene therapy for brain tumor”.
7、October 3, 2003: Kaohsiung. “The Responsibility of Medical Center in Post
8、October 24, 2003: Taipei. “Application of biotechnology in neurodegenerative
9、October 31, 2003: International Conference on Regenerative Medicine of the
Nervous System, Taipei. “Cell and Gene therapy in Neurological diseases”.
1. Effect of bone morphogenetic protein-7 (BMP-7) treatment on recovery of function
after traumatic brain injury in rats. Brain Research, April 2001.
2. Traumatic injury-induced BMP7 expression in the adult rat spinal cord. Brain
Research, June 2001.
3. Molecular modulation of expression of prion protein by heat shock, Molecular
Neurobiology, Dec. 2001.