Denice Perez Final Report part 1 (ch.1-4)
- Spanish history dates back from 35,000 B.C- 10,000B.C
- Evidence of early cave paintings found south of Spain
- Iberian Peninsula : a natural bridge between two continents
- Varity of people came to Spain
- Iberians “dwellers along the Ebro River”
- Most influential ancient people to arrive were Romans.
- “ Hispania” nick name Romans gave to Spaniards
- Christianity was the official religion of the Empire in the 4 th century.
- The conqueror of the Aztecs was Hernan Cortes
- Explored and was fearless
- Captured and Killed many in the New World
- Indian slave Malinche helped Cortes to communicate with tribes (Tabascans) was later killed.
- Cotes killed Moctezuma II Xocoyotzin emperor of the Aztec since 1502
- Hernan Cortez was on a quest for God, Glory and Gold.
- Alvarz Nunez Cabeza De Vaca arrived from New Spain to Florida
- Spanish explored the American Southeast in till reaching the North
- Franics Drake was the best Captins, hired by Queen Elizabeth
- Drakes visit to California summer of 1579, pave the way for other explorations along the Pacific Coast.
- Rene-Robert Cavelier, made his voyage down to the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico in 1682.
- He named Louisiana after Monarch.
- Migration north along the sea of Cortez was initiated early.
- English Colonists also received their Independence in 1776
- Miguel Hidalgo, born in Guanajuanto.
- He became priest in 1778 and became a hero
- He wanted equality for all people, including Indians
- By 1821 3,200 people lived in California.
- California’s Plitical like was very confused during this time.
- By the 1840s California was being dominated by ranches.
- Great varity of crops were being grown
- Indians remain at the bottom of CA society
- Great changes for New Mexico during Mexican Period.
- Between 1821-1846 changed as much as the maritime province
- Difficult to keep contact with Mexico City in order keep track of owners land located in New Mexico.
- Apaches and Navajos where being thrown out of their land
- Gringos is a term Mexicans gave to Anglos.
- Mexicans have trouble letting go of the recent war of the conquest.
- Mexicans were also being targeted for being Catholic
- During this time racism began to rise.
- Whites encountered people of color.
- Racism and Violence was being a nor during this time
- Native born and immigrants were also turning on each other
- Native Americans were subjected to genocide and lands taken away.
- Vigilante law punish rarely related to the crime colored people committed.
- The Mexican population during the second half of the nine-teeth century was able to keep its heritage than other parts of the sought west.
- The Upper Rio Grande Valley was always populated area of the northern Hispanic frontier before 1848.
- Native spanish speakers population of New Mexico are reffered as “Hisoanos”