Friendship is an in-depth relationship. It requires meeting the needs of both friends.
"Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity."
"A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself.“
"A friend is someone who is there for you when he'd rather be anywhere else.“
How to make friendship last?
Building a friendship from casual friends
-Building friendships takes time.
Maintenance of friendships is crucial
-Friendships can not be neglected.
Setting Limits in Friendships
-Friendships as well as all other relationships must have limits.
-If you think you are being manipulated, either by a friend, mate/lover, or relative, take this short test to check it out.
-Being able to carry on a comfortable conversation with a social acquaintance is a matter of practice and following certain procedures in communicating.
Types of friendship
-a friend, but sharing of emotional ties isn't present.
Best friend (or close friend)
- a person(s) with whom someone shares extremely strong interpersonal ties with as a friend.
BFF ("Best Friend Forever")
-slang used primarily by teenage and young adult women to describe a girl friend or close best friend.
-common term for best friends among men, oftentimes in high school, college or early adulthood.
-males and sometimes females often refer to each other as "buddies“.
Casual relationship or "Friends with benefits“
-the sexual or near-sexual and emotional relationship between two people.
Friends: How to Grow a Friend(twelve-steps)
1. People Equal Friends. - There is a certain chemistry with friends just as in a love relationship. 2. Talking Is Essential Among Friends. - Talking between friends requires reciprocity. 3. Friends Acknowledge Friends. - Friends acknowledge each other when talking.
4. Friends Listen to Friends.- Listening to friends in an important step in building a closer friendship. 5. Friends Attend to Friends.- Friends focus during conversations. 6. Friends Show Empathy With Friends.- Empathy is identifying with your friend's feelings and seeing life through your friend's eyes.
7. Friends Touch Friends.- Touching is a warm form of communication between friends. 8. Friends Praise Friends.- Affirmation is a powerful tool for growing a friend. 9. Friends Are Loyal and Trustworthy.- Trust and loyalty go hand-in-hand for friends.
10. Friends are Equal.- Friends are on a seesaw. 11. Friends Reveal Their Feelings.- We feel closest to our friends when we are suffering together, when we feel like our friend needs us, or when we feel a friend has shared something of great importance with us. 12. Friends Do Not Mind Read.- The person who thinks, "If you really liked me, you could read my mind" can not have an adult friendship.