1. SMOKING AND THEUSE OF TOBACCOWalton County Public Schools2012/2013
2. Did You Know• Tobacco use is the number one preventable cause of premature death in the state of Georgia, and number three in the Nation.
3. Statistics• Currently, 23% of adult Georgians smoke.• 9% of middle school students and 19% of high school students smoke cigarettes.• In addition 5% of middle school and 7% of high school students use smokeless tobacco.
4. Beware• Smokeless tobacco is a significant health risk and is not a safe substitute for smoking cigarettes. Smokeless tobacco itself contains 28 cancer causing agents and teens who use it are more likely to become cigarette smokers.
5. Our Policy• Smoking and the use of tobacco products shall be prohibited at any time in any school or building or property owned or leased by the school district, excluding designated areas at organized school activities, or at any time in any school owned vehicle, including school buses.• Practice Fields are school property.• Supervisors who look the other way while employees violate this rule will be held as accountable as that person who is breaking the rule.
6. Our Policy• In addition, smoking or the use of other tobacco products by employees is prohibited at any time such employees are directly instructing or supervising students.• This means field trips, overnight camps and competitions.• Direct supervision includes coaching, band, directing, acting as a sponsor or advisor of a club or similar school organization and other instructional roles.
7. Our Policy• Employees shall not store or possess tobacco or tobacco related products on their person or in their belongings in such a manner that such products are visible to students.• Be Responsible.
8. Our PolicyConsequences• School district employees who violate this policy may be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, including reprimand, suspension with or without pay, or termination.• Students who violate this policy may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with the student conduct code and the student/parent handbook.