Customers everywhere are trying to take advantage of virtualization to maximize efficiencies. IT personnel are supporting diverse server, storage and networking components. The tools needed to manage this heterogeneous environment exponentially increase its complexity. When you add IT and business governance to the mix, you can quickly see how this complexity increases operating expenditures and delays…and reduces flexibility and velocity. An efficient IT organization, on the other hand, is one that is highly flexible, delivers at the speed of the business and maximizes capital expenditures.
An efficient organization is one that is highly flexible, with continually lowering IT management time and low capital expenditures. THAT’S WHAT DELL CAN DELIVER. Here’s a different way to look at it:In the mainframe era,captial costs were high, but the infrastructure was relatively easy to manage. The real downside, though, was that the infrastructure was not flexible at all.The client/server era, helped to drop cap/ex while increasing flexibility—but these gains were offset by a huge increase in the time needed to manage the increasingly complex infrastructure. Today the virtual era has begun—andwe’ve lowered capital costs and increased flexibility. In many cases, we’ve managed to reduce some of the workload on the IT departmentBUT WHAT WE’VE MOSTLY DONE IS REPLACED ONE TYPE OF MANAGEMENT COMPLEXITY WITH ANOTHER.People are still spending too much time with inefficient processesDell sees the opportunity to make the data center more efficient—reducing IT management time AND capital expenditures without sacrificing flexibility for the business. This “democratization of IT” would allow businesses of all sizes—not just the huge enterprises—to automate the 20% of tasks that IT managers do 80% of the time, while also allowing them to view and manage all IT resources—physical and virtual, across manufacturers through a single console. It all adds up to, keeping the benefits of virtualization while increasing the efficiency of IT by driving down the time they waste on repetitive tasks—thus allowing the IT department to focus on more important strategic concerns
Open Architecture:It’s about choice, in what technologies customer choose today and in the future. The ability to connect and integrate multivendor server, storage and networking into a single pool. The ability to migrate from multivendor hypervisors with a simple reboot. The ability to seamlessly incorporate current processes and custom applications. Delivering customers the same integration and functionality as competitive products, but in a way that enables them to leverage the technology, people and process investments they have already made and the freedom to adopt new technologies as needed. No vendor lock-in. Integrated:Integration can range from purchasable together to a single “easy” button solution. We are extending the traditional meaning of integrated to go well beyond just working together and interoperating. Not only are we doing this for the Dell products, but rather the core converged infrastructure solution integrates a heterogeneous ecosystem. With Dell’s solution all components work together seamlessly to the user, removing unneeded or unnecessary steps, licensing and consoles. Ensuring that to the customer it appears as a single product.Automated:Automation is only as valuable to the components being automated. In competitor systems they may automate the communication between their proprietary and restricted list of hardware and software, leaving the automation of the rest of the ecosystem to the customer. With an open and integrated solution that incorporates the majority of your data center, the automation is comprehensive and can address not just automation of the technology, but of the processes. Improving consistency, control and dramatically affecting the time and resources needed to manage the daily tasks of the data center.
Choice:You no longer have to sacrifice open for integrated, or immediate gain for long term losses. Feel confident that what you do today can and will be leveraged in the future and without fear of loosing the ability to adopt the latest technologies along the way. You no longer have to scarafice open for integrated, or Choose your own pace for adoption and the level of efficiency your striving for Choose the technologies you leverage today and in the future Leverage your existing investments, in technology, people and processesFlexibility:Open architecture that is integrated gives customers enormous flexibility in how the choose to deploy and manage their data center. Leveraging heterogeneous solutions, migration across physical and virtual environments, etc. Agility:Automating the repetitive and tedious tasks that are required to keep a data center improves agility to respond to the business faster and to make IT a more strategic. Improving the efficiencies of the tools, tasks and processes through console consolidation, automating and eliminating tasks and managing the ecosystem holistically.
What does this results in?Dynamic Provisioning - Respond Faster: Deploy servers from pallet to production in minutes Change server workloads in minutesHigher Availability - Automatically and intelligently redeploysworkloads across the infrastructure when hardware fails, allowing IT departments to reduce the number of redundant servers required Workload Mobility P2V, V2P - Move workloads seamlesslybetween physical servers and Virtual machines, making it easier for IT departments increase the number of virtualized workloadsWorkload Mobility P2P - Move workloads between various makes/models of servers, allowing for streamlined technology updates and seamless disaster recoveryShared Infrastructure - Dynamically allocate servers, network connectivity and storage access, allowing IT departments to deploy strategic IT solutions such as private cloudsMulti-vendor Support - Manage devices across brands of IT resources, allowing unified control for today’s heterogeneous data centers
As the name suggests, Self-Service Creator is designed to allow authorized users to deploy and manage their IT resources automatically. They have access to a tailored set of resources and activities. This removes a number of manual steps currently required to deploy a workload, speeding up access to IT resources.At the same time, the fact that the solution is automated IT must set up standard templates and blue prints that identify what the workload can be comprised of and how to deploy a specific workload. Standard workload definition and deployment and the access controls both help IT improve consistency and gain control over their environment.Automated Service Delivery Platform for Virtual Desktops and ServersPolicy-based, AutomatedProvisioningRole-based, Self-service portalRight-sized, on-demand service deliveryControls VM Sprawl by proactively limiting consumption and automatically reclaiming resourcesRole-based controlMulti-vendor solution support across the ecosystemSelf-service portal - Automated, policy-driven delivery of IT compute resources, from initial provisioning through decommissioning and archival improves service delivery from days to minutesAutomatic Workload Deployment / Provisioning - Automation of policies and processes, removing the coordinate between server, storage, network, os teams to define the solution for each an every request or eliminate the need for a series of email approvals to deploy the defined solution.Workload Templates - Out of the box, Self-Service Creator comes with multiple process-automation workflows that support a variety of approaches to delivering IT services. These pre-packaged processes can be customized in just hours without any code changes. Optional plug-ins facilitate rapid integration with industry-standard technologies and management tools, also without changing code.Heterogeneous ecosystem - Can be deployed on multivendor hardware, works with all major hypervisors and seamlessly integrates with existing management software (Big 4) and custom applications.Access Controls - Identifies users authorized to utilize the resources of a Business Group and specifies the rights of each; Limits what each user can do in a shared environment, which resource they can consume, how much and what management functions they can perform.Sprawl Control - Eliminate over provisioning and unauthorized usage and identify and reclaim inactive and abandon resources to lower capital costs
PROBLEM Understanding the performance of the virtual infrastructure is complex challenge. Determining how core resources (e.g. CPU, Memory, Disk and Network) impact support across the infrastructure is essential, along with understanding how these components impact one another. Failing to provide adequate resources can lead to reduced performance and availability, which could greatly impact applications and end users. And providing too many resources impact server utilization and costs. Additionally, organizations need to achieve service quality and cost objectives, therefore being able recover costs for the use of infrastructure and meeting service level agreements (SLA) are key objectives for Data Center admin and CIOs IT organizations often struggle with these challenges: Detecting, diagnosing and resolving problems affecting performance and availabilityBetter remediation on resolve – faster MTTRVMware and Hyper-V – more infra monitoringStorage perspective Difficult to plan for growth and change to support virtualization goals6.5 more evident on Cap PlanConnects to vFS Unable to associate costs with use of infrastructure Struggling to connect business SLAs to virtual infrastructure goals.DELL SOLUTION VIS Director simplifies virtualization management through multi-vendor performance monitoring, capacity planning, administration and chargeback. It is designed to help organizations mitigate the impact of resource sharing and support key business objectives across virtualization to cloud. With VIS Director users are easily able to visualize the entire infrastructure state and health, as well as leverage automated alerts and expert advice to detect, diagnose and resolve problems affecting performance and availability. Scenario-based models and predictive alerts also help organizations plan, manage and optimize infrastructure capacity, improving performance and resource utilization. VIS Directorprovides centralized multi-vendor hypervisor support and extends up the stack into the critical application infrastructure and storage layer allowing organizations to confidently achieve their aggressive virtualization goals. Additionally, VIS Director uses industry chargeback models to help track infrastructure utilization, enabling costs to be recovered for the services provided. The built-in service dependency models, VIS Director let’s administrators define SLA achievement and proactively monitor service health and availabilityVIS Director Construct business views of dependent components and measure SLA achievement to track servicesUnderstand the relationships and interactions of all the components (physical and virtual) in the infrastructure
With VIS, customers can maximize the efficiencies of IT operations at the intersection of people, process and technology. VIS delivers on Dell’s promise to provide open, capable and affordable solutions that benefit our customers. It addresses end-to-end inefficiencies in the data center, allowing IT departments to respond more quickly to end-user requests, increase productivity and lower IT costs… all without compromises involving proprietary solutions or the introduction of dozens of complex tools.
1. Dell Virtual Integrated System (VIS) Architecture<br />
2. Compounding effect of current IT environment inflates the cost of IT<br />Soaring complexity and OpEx<br />=<br />Efficiency = <br /><ul><li>High flexibility
5. Virtual era success requires focus on people & processes, not just technology<br />Efficiency = High Flexibility, Low Capital Expenditures and Optimized IT Management Time<br />3<br />Processes<br />with Control<br />People<br />Technology<br />
6. What if you could make your entire IT environment as dynamic using flexible infrastructure?<br /> <br /> <br /> <br />What if you could respond to business requests in minutes?<br />What if you could have a single solution that deploys workloads on physical and virtual resources?<br />What if you could transform IT infrastructure but leverage the skills and investments you already have?<br />4<br />
7. Dell Delivers Through Key Tenets<br />5<br />Open Architecture<br />Leverage current and future investments in heterogeneous technology, people and processes, without sacrificing integration.<br />Heterogeneous, Future Proof<br />Integrated<br />Linking the heterogeneous components of the data center ecosystem, removing unneeded steps, licensing and consoles.<br />Integrating the Ecosystem<br />Automated<br />Automating entire data center ecosystem, improving consistency, control and dramatically affecting the time and resources needed.<br />End-to-End Automation<br />
8. Which Gives Customers <br />6<br />Choice<br /><ul><li>Choose your pace
9. Choose your technology
10. Choose to leverage existing investments in technology, people and process</li></ul>Improved ROI<br />Flexibility<br /><ul><li>Mix heterogeneous components
11. Integrate physical and virtual environments
12. Integrate with custom processes, tools and applications</li></ul>Right-sized Solution, <br />Every time<br />Agility<br /><ul><li>Automating standard and repetitive tasks
13. Consolidating tools and consoles
14. Managing ecosystem holistically</li></ul>Respond to Business Faster<br />
15. Dell Virtual Integrated System (VIS) Architecture<br />7<br />Dell Services<br />Dell Delivery Center<br />VIS Self-Service Creator<br />VIS Director<br />Automated Workload Deployment<br />Performance Mgmt and Planning<br />Simple catalog-based self-service and automatic deployment of workloads <br />End-to-end infrastructure management and planning<br />Dell Intelligent Infrastructure<br />Dynamic Resource Management<br />Advanced Infrastructure Manager (AIM)<br />Rapid deployment of compute, storage and networking resources<br />Intelligent Hardware<br />
16. The challenges<br />The solution<br />Dell Advanced Infrastructure <br />Manager (AIM)<br />TIME<br />Provisioning infrastructure <br />takes too long<br />A single management point for physical and virtual resources that accelerates provisioning of heterogeneous hardware <br />while providing a highly <br />dynamic and flexibility environment. <br />HETEROGENEITY<br />Multi-vendor, physical and virtual<br />INFLEXIBILITY<br />Variable workloads = <br />sub-optimized capacity <br />WASTE<br />Over provisioning & unused assets<br />8<br />
17. 9<br />Dell Advanced Infrastructure Manager (AIM)<br />A single management point for physical and virtual resources that accelerates provisioning of heterogeneous hardware while providing a highly dynamic and flexibility environment. <br />Dynamic and Rapid Server Deployment<br />Deploy servers from pallet to production in minutes <br />Highly Available<br />Automatically and intelligently redeploys workloads across the infrastructure<br />Workload Mobility, P2V and V2P<br />Move workloads seamlessly between physical servers and virtual machines<br />Workload Mobility, P2P<br />Move workloads between various makes/models of servers and Hypervisors<br />Dynamically allocate servers, network connectivity and storage access<br />Shared Infrastructure<br />Unified control for today’s heterogeneous data centers<br />Multi-vendor Support<br />
18. The challenges<br />The solution<br />Dell VIS Self-Service Creator<br />MANUAL PROCESSES<br />Workload requests. approvals & provisioning<br />Providing IT users the power to deploy and manage <br />their resources while enabling IT to respond faster to <br />business requests and <br />improvecontrol over IT environments.<br />SERVICE EXPECTATIONS<br />Users demand instant workloads<br />PACE OF BUSINESS<br />Scale & rate of change<br />CONTROL<br />Governance, compliance costs<br />10<br />
19. 11<br />Dell VIS Self-Service Creator<br />Providing IT users the power to deploy and manage their resources while enabling IT to respond faster to business requests and improvecontrol over IT environments.<br />Self-service Portal<br />Role-based access for users to manage their resources throughout their lifecycle<br />Automatic Provisioning<br />Automated, policy-driven delivery of IT compute resources<br />Heterogeneous Ecosystem<br />Multi-vendor solution support across the ecosystem, hardware, hypervisor, mgmt sw<br />Automatically reclaim underutilized or abandoned resources<br />Sprawl Control<br />Role-based access to resource deployment within dedicated infrastructure pool<br />Group-based Reservations<br />Workload Templates<br />Pre-packaged process automation workflows, tailor without code changes<br />
20. The challenges<br />The solution<br />Dell VIS Director<br />IT operations hub <br />for your virtual environment providing an intuitive view of the dependencies between physical and virtual environments. Comprehensive <br />trend analysis, predictive reportingand cost analytics giving greater level of visibility into IT environment.<br />ACCURATE PLANNING<br />Inability to keep up with capacity <br />and performance requirements<br />PREDICTING PROBLEMS<br />Increased cost and delays associated<br /> with finding and fixing problems<br />TRANSPARENCY<br />Inability to provide transparency in a dynamic environment<br />Confidential<br />12<br />
21. 13<br />Dell VIS Director<br />IT operations hub for your virtual environment providing an end-to-end view of infrastructure dependencies and relationships. Comprehensive set trend analysis, predictive reportingand cost analytics giving greater level of visibility into IT environment.<br />Detailed View of Infrastructure<br />Intuitive view of infrastructure dependencies<br />Trend Analysis<br />Understand performance and utilization trends to help with future planning<br />“What-if” Planning<br />Scenario modeling to support resource planning and impact analysis <br />Tracks utilization, costs and ROI for specific configuration and consumption models<br />Cost Analytics<br />Identifies issues and resource contentions to help speed mean-time-to-resolution<br />Alerts<br />
22. Value Proposition<br />VIS Value Proposition<br />Process<br />Addresses IT inefficiencies end-to-end<br />Supports heterogeneous environments and existing infrastructure deployments<br />Streamlines automation of common tasks<br />People<br />Technology<br />Freedom to Choose<br />Comprehensive<br />Respond Faster<br />Increase IT Productivity<br />Lower IT Costs<br />Removes IT from the critical path for certain end-user requests<br />Lower capital costs + superior impact on operational costs<br />14<br />