What’s this talk about?
• Understanding industry
context that’s useful to
know when you are
• What Agile teams are
doing that might be hard to
work out from the books.
Why does it matter?
Because books, training and conferences talk about
agile methods with labels like Scrum, XP, DSDM,
I’ll be talking about the form of Agile which I see
teams actually do.
• XP practitioner since 2000.
• Consulting agile coach since 2003. Coached
teams at BBC, CODA, Egg, Lloyds TSB, Nokia,
Orange, Roche, Screwfix, and many more.
• Agile community work includes Agile Alliance
board, Experience reports for Agile2007/2006,
Agile2008 conference chair, Agile Business
conference, BCS SPA, Retrospective
Facilitators Gathering, Scrum Gathering open
space facilitator, XPDays, XTC, etc.
“I kicked off quot;The Lightweight
Process Summitquot; with a 10
minute plea for a manifesto, and
then watched with awe and glee
as these people, with some deep
philosophical differences, found
themselves in fundamental
agreement with the notion that
what we shared in common was
more important than our
Bob Martin re: Agile Manifesto
Banging the Drum
Keeping a method simple makes
it easy to transmit and easy to
Agile methods can help you get
started but you have to fill in
What am I seeing teams do?
• I work with Scrum teams who use XP practices
like Velocity, Test-Driven Development and
User Stories describe their Product Backlog.
• I work with XP teams who use Burndown
charts, Retrospectives and Daily Scrum format.
• I work with Lean teams who use a mix of the
• It seems a generic Agile mashups are emerging.
The 13th Practice?
Sorry, No again!
Work out new Agile practice gradually through Retrospectives
Teams create their own agile “mashups”
Culture Agile Transition
How XP are you?
Can you claim to be an XP team ..
• if you don't use index cards?
• if you don't write code test-first?
• if you don't program in pairs?
• if you don't sit together?
• If you don’t have an onsite customer?
It seems that some practices are more optional
How Scrum are you?
Can you claim to be a Scrum team ..
• if you don't have a Sprint Review?
• if you don't deliver a Product Increment at the
end of each Sprint?
• if you don't have a Sprint Retrospective?
• if you don't have a visible Sprint Burndown?
• if you don't have a defined Sprint Goal?
• if your Product Backlog is not prioritized?
Maybe there’s a good reason why you don’t?
Typical Agile Practice List
Daily Scrum/Standup X Pair Programming
Iterations/Sprints X Product Increment
User Stories X Sit Together
Between 5 and 10 team members
• Cross-functional including at least one tester
Split the Customer (Product
The Truth works with support of
customers, sales people, but is the
only person that makes decisions
With a trusty sidekick …
The Voice of the Customer
The Voice of the Customer
is typically an analyst who
works closely with the
team to make sure that
user stories and
acceptance tests are
consistent, valuable and
Agile Project Manager
and Scrum Master
• Facilitating meetings
• Reporting progress
• Shielding the team
• Working with the team to remove
• Preparing the road ahead
Current Iteration Future Iterations
Ziffer (Zero Feature Iteration) -- Michael Hill
Projects start with an Iteration Zero
Two Week Cycle
L D D D D D D D D M
A E E E E E E E E O
N V V V V V V V V R
E E E E E E E E
L L L L L L L L
O O O O O O O O
P P P P P P P P O
Most teams set their iteration/sprint length at 2 weeks
Start the Day around the Board
• Teams start the day with a Daily Standup by their
Project Board using the Scrum question format.
• The Project Board shows what the team are working
on today and how much is left.
I E E
N X X
T P T P T
E O E O E
Z R R R
F N N N
R A A A
L H L H L
• Scrum says “Inspect & Adapt”
• Manifesto says “the team reflects on how to become
more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior
• Your team will be different and that’s OK :-)
• Use as source of ideas
• Not “religious” texts
• Read more than one!
Unified Agile v2.0?
No, I’m not suggesting we need this.
Project are too varied so we need loose Agile.
The Agile Manifesto already serves the purpose
of a framework.