UK cap preventing hiring of key
• The limit placed by the David Cameron government on the
number of professionals British firms can hire from outside
the European Union is preventing the recruitment of key
employees from India
• General Electric, one of the major employers in Britain with
18,000 workers, has complained that it has been unable to
hire a stem-cell research executive from India because of
'very, very small' quota has been given to the company to hire
people from outside the EU.
No third-party cheques for mutual
• The move is part of efforts to check fraudulent activities by
mutual fund agents and distributors, some of whom have
been found to be collecting cheques from investors and
depositing them for investments in their own names.
• In order to protect the interest of the investors, AMFI has
issued best practice guidelines to all AMCs advising them not
to accept third party cheques in respect of Mutual Fund
Investments (with a few exceptions) effective from November
• Even in case of exceptions, the fund houses would have to
ensure that the payments are coming from entities duly
authorised by the actual investors.
IBM to handle IT for Bharti Airtel's
• India’s top mobile phone firm Bharti Airtel took the initial
steps to replicate its hugely successful outsourcing model in
Africa by awarding a $1.5-billion contract to IBM for managing
its IT requirements across 16 countries in the continent
• Partnership will allow Bharti Airtel to deliver innovative and
affordable 2G and 3G mobile services across the (African)
• IBM will also oversee the management of all of the
technology applications, data-centre operations, servers,
storage and desktop services
Farmers demand single national
policy for land acquisition
• Demanding a uniform guideline for acquisition of their land, a
farmers' convention on Sunday accused the government of
failing in providing an appropriate policy to get peasants out
• All India Kisan Coordination Committee chief and former MP
Bhupinder Singh Mann said the burden of "unfair loans" has
become unbearable for farmers. "The prices of agricultural
produce has been kept low by government deliberately."
• He demanded that there should be one national policy for
acquisition of land of farmers. "The policy should be such that
farmers get the maximum benefit in case of acquisition of
their land by government.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.