The Founder & Chief Architect Of Infosys:
N. R. Narayana Murthy
having 63 offices and
Major milestones in their 30-year-old journey
• Infosys is established by N. R. Narayana Murthy and six
engineers in Pune, India, with an initial capital of US$ 250
• Signs up its first client, Data Basics Corporation, in New York
• Relocates corporate headquarters to Bangalore
• Opens first international office in Boston, US
Infosys got listed on BSE on June 14, 1993
Infosys was listed on NASDAQ
Opened offices in France and Hong Kong, a global development center in
Canada and UK and three development centers in the US
Offices opened in UAE and Argentina and a development centre in
Nandan M. Nilekani took over as CEO
Subsidiaries established in China and Australia.
Infosys Technologies became the first Indian listed software company
to have a net profit of Rs 1,000 crores or more.
Won the Global Most Admired Knowledge Enterprises (MAKE) award.
N. R. Narayana Murthy retired from the services of the company on
Reported Q2 revenue of over USD 1 billion. Annual revenues crossed
USD 3 billion.
Revenues crossed USD 4.18 billion
Employee strength grew to over 1,00,000
Infosys voted as the Best Managed Company in India by Finance Asia.
The Headquarters of Infosys
located in Bengaluru
A building in
Main block in
“To be a globally respected
corporation that provides best ofbreed business solutions, leveraging
technology, delivered by best- in-
• “To achieve our objectives in an environment
of fairness, honesty and courtesy towards our
clients, employee’s vendors and society at large”.
• Its business activities are anchored in three pillars
of corporate behavior, Viz., Business Ethics,
Corporate Governance and Corporate
o “Powered by Intellect”
o “Driven by values”
o “Combination of world class quality and
talent, guided by ethical values.”
Best working environment
Most transparent dealings
Highest quality standards
Powered by Intellect
• Leveraging GDM (Global Delivery Model)
• Meeting shareholder expectations
• Building a multicultural workforce
In GDM, large scale software development projects are divided
into diff categories
The tasks that were needed to be carried out at the location of
The tasks that were needed to be carried out closer to the
The tasks that could be done in remote locations where process
driven technology center with highly skilled manpower were
OBJECTIVES OF GDM
• To ensure the distribution of application and
resources, while ensuring their integration.
Driven by Values
• Customer delight
• Leadership by example (set stds)
• Integrity and transparency (ethical,sincere
• Fairness (objective and transaction oriented)
• Pursuit of excellence
What makes Infosys special?
• Highest performance standard
• Long term shareholder value
• Functioning rooted in strong ethical values
Corporate Social Responsibility,
Corporate Governance and Business Ethics
A system of corporate governance is a system of
management and investors to produce an efficiently
functioning corporation, ideally geared to produce
The philosophy of corporate governance of Infosys is based on the
1.To satisfy the spirit of the law.
2. To have transparent and high degree of disclosure levels.
3. To have distinction between personal conveniences and corporate
4. To have truthful external communication.
5. To comply with laws of all countries in which the company operates.
6. It have simple and transparent corporate structure driven solely by
7. In Infosys management is considered as the trustee of the
shareholder’s capital and not the owner.
• Infosys has an active, well-informed and independent board,
which is necessary to ensure high standards of corporate
governance in any organization.
Infosys Technologies believe that the Board of Directors is at
the core of corporate governance practice and oversees how
management serves and protects the long term interest of all
• In Infosys the majority of the, 8 out of 15 are independent
• Infosys is committed to long-term shareholder value.
nominations, and risk management committees which comprises
only independent directors.
• Infosys furnishes in the annual reports about its compliance
with the corporate governance guidelines of six countries
in their national languages.
governance guidelines, 2000.
• The recommendations of The Conference Board Commission on
public trust and private enterprises in the US.
• The company also adheres to the UN global compact programme.
• At Infosys, the distribution of wealth is considered as important as
its legal and ethical creation. A strong sense of social responsibility
is therefore an integral part of its value system.
• Infosys Foundation established in 1996, supports programs and
organizations devoted to the cause of the destitute, the rural poor,
the mentally challenged, and the economically disadvantaged sections
of the society.
• Community service through its Computers@Classrooms initiative
launched in January1999.
Infosys donated 2,567 computers to various institutions
• Infosys is engaging with global thought leaders and decisionmakers in debate and actionable programs to identify and drive
consumption of energy and resources. The efforts begin right
at home, through project Ozone.
• Social commitment in education: Infosys' Education & Research
group has the pride of anchoring the Infosys Extension Program
(IEP), which consists of the Infosys Fellowship Program, Rural
Reach program, Catch Them Young and Train the Trainer.
• Sustainability Report : Infosys has published its
accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI)
framework, the report encapsulates the company's-
innovation in offerings,
• The report has been awarded an A+ rating by the
• In 2000, the company was conferred the National Award for
Excellence in Corporate Governance by the Government of India.
• The Business World — IMRB Survey ranked Infosys number one
among the most respected companies in India, in 2001.
• It was voted as India’s best managed company for 6 years in a
row, between 1996 and 2001 by the Asia Money Poll.
• In the year 2000, in the survey of Far Eastern Economic Review,
• Infosys was selected as one of Asia’s leading corporations and
was ranked first as “ The Company that Others Try to Emulate”
• The company was voted “India’s Most Admired Company”
in Economic Times in 2000.
• In 2003, Infosys Technologies co-founder and chairman,
Mr. N. R. Narayana Murthy, won the Ernst & Young World
Entrepreneur of the Year award for his company’s “outstanding
financial performance and global impact in a dynamic and volatile
• Infosys Technologies has won the prestigious “Global MostAdmired Knowledge Enterprises (MAKE)” Award, for 2004.
• Infosys Technologies made a winning sweep in the Business
World “Most Respected Companies’ Award” 2004.
• The latest Business Today—AT Kearney study conducted in
• Infosys Technologies as “India’s Best Managed Company”.
• CRISIL assigned the company the “CRISIL GVC Level 1” rating,
indicates the capability to create wealth for all stakeholders
while adopting sound corporate governance practices.
• ICRA assigned “CGR 1” rating to the company for their
corporate governance practices.
• Huge decline in IT industry - Global economic slowdown
• US Govt. against Outsourcing
• Shrinking margins due to rising wage inflation - offshoring
• Foreign Exchange fluctuations
• Competition from giants -Accenture, IBM…
Strategies Used by Infosys…
• Diversify the revenue
• Employee oriented
• Using Modern technology
• Cost reduction
Bulgarian American national filed a complaint against
Mr. Phaneesh Murthy (head of U.S. Operations and
member of BOD) alleging verbal sexual harassment,
termination of employment.
• Infosys started an internal settlement and after
initial reluctance Phaneesh submitted himself for all
the conditions that company had set.
• Infosys announced amicable dispute settlement on
11th May 2003 and Reka was paid $3 million as
• The company had paid $570,000 to Phaneesh Murthy as part
of the final settlement of his dues when he resigned in July
2003 as head of Infosys' worldwide sales and marketing and
from the company's board of directors.
• After this episode, Infosys put in place principles of work ethic
sand a whistle blower policy.
• Infosys also started sexual harassment cell “call ASHI” (Anti
Sexual Harassment Initiative), to provide an environment free
• After this case there has been no allegations of any kind on the
All about sacked iGate CEO Murthy
May 22, 2013: The twice-born, middle-class Brahmin boy
from Malleswaram, Bangalore has now twice fallen for the
same vice: sexual misconduct with women at the workplace.
By his sheer star-wattage and brilliance, he managed to
resurrect his career after he was fired by Infosys in 2002.
However, after the current sex scandal, it's hard to see a
second comeback for Phaneesh Murthy.
• Sound corporate structure and policy does not
• It’s the managers ethical standards which decide the
level of integrity and value system within an
governance is a mindset, a question of value systems.
It is a way of saying that I put public good ahead
of private good; of not using the corporation's
resources for personal benefit. As a society becomes
more and more evolved, what appears in the realm of
ethics automatically enters the realm of the legal