HCL (Hindustan computers limited)
HCL is a global technology and IT Enterprise that operates in 31
countries. Its headquarters is in Noida, India. The company comprises
two publicly listed companies, HCL Technologies and HCL Info systems.
History of HCL
• In 1976, Shakeel Khan, Arjun Malhotra, Subhash Arora, Badam
Kishore Kumar, T.V Bhardwaj and Arun Kumar H jointly started a
company named Micro comp Limited. The focus of the company
was design and manufacturing of scientific calculators. The venture
provided its founders money to start a company that focused on
manufacturing computers. The company name "HCL" used to stand
for "Hindustan Computer Limited" but now HCL is the only one name
that the company goes by. HCL received support from the
Government of Uttar Pradesh to set up manufacturing in Noida
• According to environmental organization Greenpeace, 29% of HCL
products are currently free of toxic vinyl plastic (PVC) and brominated
flame retardants (BFRs). In March 2010, HCL launched its first
notebook entirely free of PVC and BFRs
• HCL Technologies Limited is an Indian IT company. In 2012 it was
India's fourth-largest IT company, and employs about 87,000 people.
• Computer Systems and related products and services: The segment
operations consist of manufacturing of computer hardware systems,
providing comprehensive Systems Integration, Roll out and
Infrastructure Management solutions in different industry verticals,
providing IT services including maintenance & facility management
and ICT training.
• Telecommunication & Office Automation: The segment operations
consist of distribution of telecommunication and other digital lifestyle
products, office automation products and related comprehensive
maintenance and allied services.
• Internet and Related Services: The segment provides Internet related
services through the company's wholly owned subsidiary HCL Infinet
Limited to business enterprises.
• On 26 July 2012, HCL Info systems said it acquired Edurix, education
content provider, that will help it to strengthen its education and
• Ranked #1 in IDC-Dataquest Customer Satisfaction Survey 2011
• 13th out of 16 companies in the most recent Greenpeace Survey -
Guide to Greener Electronics, November 2012
• FICCI Quality System Excellence Awards 2011.