2. EARTH AND SPACESCIENCE TennesseeStandard:Content Standard: 7.0 Earth and ItsPlace in the Universe The student will investigate thestructure of the universe.Learning Expectations: 7.1 Recognize the basiccomponents of the universe.
3. Our Solar SystemOur solar system ismade up of: Sun Nine planets Their moons Asteroids Comets
4. Inner PlanetsThe inner four rockyplanets at the centerof the solar systemare: Mercury Venus Earth Mars
5. Mercury Planet nearest the sun Second smallest planet Covered with craters Has no moons or rings About size of Earth’s moon
6. Venus Sister planet to Earth Has no moons or rings Hot, thick atmosphere Brightest object in sky besidessun and moon (looks like brightstar) Covered with craters, volcanoes,and mountains
7. Earth Third planet from sun Only planet known to have lifeand liquid water Atmosphere composed ofcomposed of Nitrogen (78%),Oxygen (21%), and other gases(1%).
8. Mars Fourth planet from sun Appears as bright reddish color inthe night sky Surface features volcanoes andhuge dust storms Has 2 moons: Phobos andDeimos
9. Outer PlanetsThe outer planetscomposed of gas are: Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune
10. Jupiter Largest planet in solarsystem Brightest planet in sky 60+ moons, 5 visible fromEarth Strong magnetic field Giant red spot Rings have 3 parts: HaloRing, Main Ring, GossamerRing
11. Saturn 6thplanet from sun Beautiful set of rings 31 moons Largest moon, Titan, Easily visible in thenight sky Voyager exploredSaturn and its rings.
12. Uranus 7thplanet from sun Has a faint ring system 27 known moons Covered with clouds Uranus sits on its sidewith the north and southpoles sticking out thesides.
13. Neptune 8thplanet from sun Discovered throughmath 7 known moons Triton largest moon Great Dark Spot thoughtto be a hole, similar tothe hole in the ozonelayer on Earth
14. Outermost Planet Pluto, the outermostplanet, is a smallsolid icy planet issmaller than theEarths Moon.
15. Pluto 9thplanet from sun(usually) Never visited byspacecraft Orbits very slowly Moon, Charon, isvery close to Plutoand about the samesize
16. Asteroids Small bodies Believed to be leftover from thebeginning of thesolar system billionsof years ago 100,000 asteroids liein belt betweenMars and Jupiter Largest asteroidshave been givennames
17. Comets Small icy bodies Travel past the Sun Give off gas anddust as they pass by
18. Writing Activity Write a paragraph about thesolar system. Include 5 factscovered in this presentation.Solar System Activities
19. Solar SystemActivities Order the Planets Fun with Planets Constellations of the NorthernSky Planets Solar System