2. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?My media product (magazine) follows the same conventionsas a real magazine as I copied a lot of the layouts (see nextslides) and based my product on the VIBE magazine.I kept to the same conventions as I wanted to create aproduct that was very similar to VIBE with a slightly differenttarget audience.
3. VIBE cover analysisMasthead: bigand bold, Vibepositioned Eyebrowbehind theartist- layers Cover lineHaving theartist tilt hishead slylydraws moreattention to Eye contact:the cover engages withlines audience Ears Ears Only three colour used for the cover Barcode Full bleed image
4. My Front cover analysisEye brow Large masthead Eye Ear contact Full bleed image Barcode
5. VIBE contents page analysis Eye contact Broken contentsShows the number of Full bleedcontents pages image Plain backgroundNumbers toindicate articles
6. My contents analysis Eye Shows the number of contact contents pages Number to indicate articlesFull bleedimage Plain background
7. Q double page spread Full bleed image Large headerIntroduction Enlarged Pull out first letter quote
8. My double page spread Pull out quote Large headerIntroduction Full bleed image First letter enlarged
9. How does your media product represent particular social groups?The social group represented in my magazineare people who are interested in the Hip Hopmusic genre. My magazine is simple and the attire of my model is to attract more mature music lovers My double page spread somewhat represents the old image of Hip Hop lovers as the model is dressed in that typical attire. The silhouetteThe contents page keeps to the same image also portrays the rebellious impact Hipidea as my model is dressed casually Hop had back in the days.in a respectable pose
10. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?One publisher of magazines is Diamond Publishing - MetropolisGroup, the actual magazine is a specialist magazine as thiscompany specialises in music and media production. The publishers of VIBE (the magazine that my magazine is based on) is Intermedia Vibe Holdings, LLC, however I would not ask them to publish my magazine as they already have their own similar product.My magazine would not be likely to I would consider asking Diamond Publishing asbe sold in a corner shops but music they publish music magazines however ofshops such as HMV different music genres: a new type of genre could be appealing as this would target another audience and broaden their
11. Who would be the audience for your media product? My target audience is heavily based on that of VIBEs. The differences are that there is a higher female audience than male and as VIBE is an American magazine, the ‘Spanish/Hispanic/Latin o’ option was replaced by ‘Arab’ as this is more representative of urban areas in the UK.
12. The images, unlike most ofVIBEs, found in my magazine are notseductive or sexualized as thismagazine is aimed at females who aregenerally not attracted to that sort ofthing. As my double page is about the history of Hip Hop, this would attract readers who are either interested in history of music or want to recap their youth. This is targeted at those who like to expand their general knowledge.
13. How did you attract/address your audience? Recent stories and events Famous namesI kept to the conventions of VIBE andused limited number colours andfonts: this should attract a moremature audience as opposed to ‘teenmagz’ that use many colours to catchtheir audiences attention.
14. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product? InDesign CS4 InDesign is what I used to construct my media product. This was program was new to me as I had never used it before, it took a while grasp how to use it however I got to grips with it whilst creating my masthead.Slideshare I was recommended to use Slideshare to upload my files onto this blog as it can be difficult to upload them straight from a computer. Creating an account was very userful.
15. PhotoshopPhotoshop played a very big role in creatingmy media product as I had to edit photos.This was also new to me and I found itdifficult to crop images: this can be seen inmy front cover as this was the first piece Icompleted. In contrast to the magazinecover, the double page spread image wasmore successful as I had more experienceusing Photoshop by this time. The internet was also important as I used this for my research and planning, going on the VIBE website, getting images to analyse and using this blog and Slideshare.
16. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?Skills I have learnt: Skills I have developed:• I’ve learnt to use such programs • I can now edit photos andlike Photoshop and InDesign which create layouts although I haveI didnt know before . more to learn, there is room• I’ve learnt to analyse magazines for more development.and the right terminologies for theconventions used. What I’ve learnt about manipulation of representations:What I’ve learnt about planning: I have learnt that using images andI’ve learnt that planning to create a language, such media like magazinesmagazine takes a lot of time as you can target audiences by creatinghave to research to understand the representations of people. They do thisconventions of magazines. by editing photos, using famous peopleOnce you’ve researched you can to attract the population that will bedecide whether to follow these interested in buying the product.conventions or not, as long as theywork well with the genre or topic youare doing.