Making the Magazine The first step I took was to enhance my image by changing the lighting and altering the contrast in order to prevent the image looking one dimensional. I did this by going to ‘Enhance’, ‘Adjust Lighting’ and then to ‘Brightness/Contrast’ and then played around with the scale to see which level complimented the photo. I also had to bear in mind whether certain coloured fonts clashed when choosing the brightness.
Adding the Text – Masthead Research This is a question about the masthead font taken from questionnaire. I involved this question within my questionnaire as it is a vital part of the magazine’s front cover and I really wanted to choose a font that my audience liked and hat also linked to my genre. As can be seen there was a tie in which font the respondents of my questionnaire preferred. After receiving these results, I decided to go in a completely different direction by compromising and merging the two most preferred sample fonts together and in doing so chose: “eLFoNt(urBANCalligRAPhy!”
Adding the Text – Masthead Research I carried out more research into mastheads on magazines as it’s the most significant text of the magazine as it’s the part that should stick in people’s heads once they’ve finished viewing the magazine. I found that most magazines and these can be seen in the examples on the left, that their mastheads are positioned in the top centre. Therefore, I gained inspiration from such magazines and followed conventions by locating my masthead in the top centre also. However, one thing I noticed during my research was that some magazines, including all of the examples on the left have their masthead slightly My Masthead covered by the models head. I decided not to follow this pattern since my front cover is only the 17th issue and therefore is not established enough, therefore if part of the magazine name was covered, the audience may not recognise it or be able to make it out. A closer look at my masthead can be seen to the left.
Adding the Text The next step in the process of making my music magazine was to add the writing. I did this by using the text tool to draw up a suitable sized textbox and then started adding the words. Firstly, I did the masthead, then the date and issue number. I then did the the main coverline, experimenting with different fonts and sizes which are suitable for what the coverline is about. I chose a bold font to grab the attention of the potential buyer. The final step in the majority of the text-adding was my second coverline as it took me time to decide what should be there in order to interest the audience.
Adding the Button The next item that I added to my front cover was the button. I did this by selecting the ‘Brush’ tool and then going to the drop down box of brushes present. I then clicked on the little ‘>’ button on the right and selected the ‘Load Brushes’ option. This then took me to the various brushes available to me from the school account. I then chose the particular button as seen above, which I choose because of the circular shape to go with the typical form seen in magazines. After this, I added my the text on top.
First Draft Finally, I added a barcode to make the magazine look authentic.