Purpose of Missionary Work ENGLISHPresentation Transcript
The PURPOSE OF MISSIONARY WORK Inviteothers to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. PMG
This is our MISSIONARY PURPOSE Our voi Elder Elder Greer Earl Jose Carlos Edison Karina ChinaAngelica Hermana Vilchez CONVERTS
The PURPOSE OF THE GOSPEL The purpose of the GOSPEL is to cleanse people of their sins so they can receive theSavior’s mercy at the day of judgment. ( ) PMG page 6Therefore, the focus of the work you do eachday is to INVITE others to come unto CHRIST, to receive salvation through HIS DOCTRINE.
The Doctrinal Basis of Missionary Work Elder Dallin H. Oaks has taught:We do missionary work in order to baptize.You can qualify for the terrestial kingdom instead of the telestial kingdom without the aid of this Church. We are concerned with a higher destination. The purpose of our missionary work is to help the children of God fulfill a condition prescribed by our Savior and Redeemer. We preach and teach in order to baptize the children of God so that they can be saved in the celestial kingdom instead of being damned in a lesser kingdom. This is the doctrinal basis of missionary
Your Missionary PromiseD & C 75:2. Hearken, O ye who have given your names to go forth toproclaim my gospel, and to prune my vineyard3. Behold I say unto you that it is my will that you shouldgo forth and not tarry, neither be idle but labor with yourmight—4. Lifting up your voices as with the sound of a trump,proclaiming the truth according to the revelations andcommandments which I have given you (PMG & Scriptures).5. And thus, if ye are faithful ye shall be laden with manysheaves (baptisms), and crowned with honor, and gloryand immortality, and eternal life.
THE DOCTRINE OF JESUS CHRIST 2 Nephi 31: 1: and now I, Nephi, make an end of my prophesying unto you, my beloved brethren. …neither can I write but a few of the words of my brother Jacob.2: Wherefore, the things which I have written sufficeth me, save it be a few words which I MUST SPEAK concerning the DOCTRINE OF CHRIST; where I shall speak unto you plainly, according to the plainness of my prophesying. 3: For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this mannerdoth the lord god work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh untomen according TO THEIR LANGUAGE, unto their understanding.
4. Wherefore, I would that ye should remember that I have spoken unto you concerning that prophet which the lord showed unto me, that should baptize the Lamb of God, which should take away the sins of the world.5. And now, if the LAMB OF GOD, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfill all righteousness, o then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!6. And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the Lamb of god did FULFILL ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS in being baptized by water?7. Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments (including baptism).
8. Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove.9. And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he having set the example before them.10. And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?11. And the Father (father speaking as a second witness) said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son.12. And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.
13. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—ye by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.14. But, behold my beloved brethren, thus came the voice of the Son unto me, saying: After ye have repented of your sins, and witnessed unto the Father that ye are willing to keep my commandments, by the baptism of water, and have received the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost, and can speak with a new tongue, yea, even with the tongue of angels, and after this should deny me, it would have been better for you that ye had not known me.
15. And I heard a voice from the Father, saying: Yea, the words of my Beloved are true and faithful. He that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved.16. And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved.17. Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.18. And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.
19. And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto your, Nay, for you have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.20. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of god and of all men, Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.21. And now behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold this is the DOCTRINE OF CHRIST, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.
How Many Times in these 21verses is Baptism mentioned: 12 times
What then is the Doctrine of Christ? 1. Faith in Jesus Christ 2. Repentance for the remission of Sins 3. Baptism 4. Gift of the Holy Ghost 5. Endure to the End
Now Let’s Look at Christ’s Visit to the Americas following his ResurrectionFirst, how did he set the stage for hisappearance to the people of Bountiful? 3 Nephi 11 1. Tempests, earthquakes, fires, whirlwinds, and physical upheavals attest the crucifixion of Christ. Head note Chap. 8 2. Many people are destroyed—darkness covers the land for three days. And those that are left, bemoan their fate. Chapter 8 3. In the darkness the voice of Christ proclaims the destruction of many people and cities. Chapter 9 4. He proclaims his divinity, announces the law of Moses is fulfilled. Chapter 9 5. There is silence in the land for many hours. The quiet voice of the Lord comes to the people three times. Chapter 10
To the more righteous part of the people that weresave, he showed himself at the temple of Bountifuland what was his first and foremost message afterhis Father presented him and the people had come and felt the wounds and were blessed? Beginning in Verse 21 of 3 Nephi 11: 21. And the lord said unto him: I give unto you power that ye shall baptize this people when I am again ascended into heaven. 22. And again the lord called others, and said unto them likewise; and he gave unto them power to baptize. And he said unto them: On this wise shall ye baptize; and there shall be no disputations among you.
23. Verily I say unto you, that whoso repenteth of his sins through your words, and desireth to be baptized in my name, on this wise shall ye baptize them— Behold, ye shall go down and stand in the water, and in my name shall ye baptize them.24. And now behold, these are the words which ye shall say, calling them by name, saying:25. Having authority given me of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.26. And then shall ye immerse them in the water, and come forth again out of the water.27. And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name; for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one.28. And according as I have commanded you thus shall ye baptize. And there shall be no disputations among you, as there have hitherto been; neither shall there be disputations among you concerning the points of my doctrine, as there have hitherto been.29. For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
30. Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.31. Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine.32. And this is MY DOCTRINE, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given upon me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth records of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.33. And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.34. And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.35. Verily, verily, I say unto you, that THIS IS MY DOCTRINE, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.36. And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.37. And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.
13 more Baptisms38. And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.39. Verily, verily, I say unto you. That this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.40. And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.41.Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth.
THIS IS A SLIDE FROM THE EUROPE AREA STRATEGY AND PLAN 22
WHAT IS A GOOD BAPTISM?We are encouraged to “find and teach families—a father, mother andchildren—who can support one another in living the gospel and eventuallybe sealed as a family unit… PMG 3)However, our commission is clear…D & C 133: 37 And this gospel shall be preached unto every nation,and kindred, and tongue, people.D & C 18: …I command all men everywhere to repent…D & C 20: 72 Baptism is to be administered in the following mannerunto ALL those who repent…IF WE BAPTIZE 100 PERSONS….
Pablo Albarracin at the Lima TemplePOINT #1: YOU CANNOT TELL WHEN YOU BAPTIZE THEM IFTHEY ARE A GOOD BAPTISM OR NOT. STORY OF JORGE LUQUE D & C 124: 138 And again, I give unto you Joseph Young, Josiah Butterfield, Daniel Miles, Henry Herriman, Zera Pulsipher, Levi Hancock, James Foster, to preside over the quorum of seventies; POINT #2: IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT TAKES A LONG TIME OR A SHORT TIME TO BAPTIZE THEM AS TO WHETHER THEY WILL STAY ACTIVE IN THE CHURCH.
POINT #3: ALL MEN MUST BE BAPTIZED EVENTUALLY:D & C : 138:30But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces andappointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, andcommissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to themthat were in darkness, even to ALL the spirits of men; and thus was thegospel preached to the dead.SOONER OR LATER WE HAVE TO GIVE EVERYONE A CHANCE TO HEAR THEGOSPEL. WE MIGHT AS WELL GET IT DONE HERE. Once they are on the Church lists or records, we visit them until they or we die….
SUMMARY1. From Sister Earl we learn that Heavenly Father will give us the desires of our hearts as we hear, have faith in and live the Gospel and Doctrine of Christ.2. Our Purpose as Missionaries is to Invite others to come unto Christ.3. We do that through the Doctrine of Christ which is to help them to have faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost and Endure to the end.4. We recognize that Baptism by Water and by Fire (the Holy Ghost) is a requisite for ALL MEN in every nation and tongue.5. We give ALL THOSE WHO REPENT the opportunity to be baptized.6. We can baptize ANYWHERE. (President Uchtdorf)