• Share
  • Email
  • Embed
  • Like
  • Save
  • Private Content
Community Conversation - Shockoe Bottom's Future
 

Community Conversation - Shockoe Bottom's Future

on

  • 571 views

Join the Valentine Richmond History Center as we collaborate with Richmond Magazine, TMI Consulting Inc., the Future of Richmond's Past and Arcadia restaurant to offer our next series of "Community ...

Join the Valentine Richmond History Center as we collaborate with Richmond Magazine, TMI Consulting Inc., the Future of Richmond's Past and Arcadia restaurant to offer our next series of "Community Conversations." Each month we will discuss a locale in the city spanning Shockoe Bottom to the Boulevard. Attendees will participate in a discussion with Susan Winiecki, editor of Richmond Magazine, who will facilitate a conversation on the significant events and changes that have occurred in Shockoe Bottom over time. By the end of the evening attendees will have a comprehensive view of the history of Shockoe Bottom and how it was molded into the locality that we see today.

This will be the fourth iteration of the "Community Conversations" series. The purpose of the series is to engage the community in a dialogue about the region’s past and how that past can positively shape our collective future. The more people that join in the conversation, the more productive our efforts become, and the easier it will be for everyone to see ourselves in the history of the region.

Free and open to the public.
For information, call (804) 649-0711 ext. 322

Please note that pre-registration is not required. Admission is on a first come, first served basis and SPACE IS LIMITED! Please plan to arrive early for parking and registration.

2014 Schedule
Shockoe Bottom's Future - January 7, 6-8pm at Arcadia
Monroe Park - February 4, 6-8pm at The Nile
Riverfront Development - March 4, 6-8pm at F.W. Sullivan's Canal Bar & Grill
Transportation on Broad Street - April 1, 6-8pm at Mama J's Kitchen
Up and Down the Boulevard - May 1, 6-8pm in the Claiborne Robertson Room at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

Statistics

Views

Total Views
571
Views on SlideShare
275
Embed Views
296

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0

5 Embeds 296

http://www.richmondhistorycenter.com 277
http://richmondhistorycenter.com 15
http://www.google.com 2
https://www.google.com 1
http://feedly.com 1

Accessibility

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment
  • V.90.112 <br /> View of Richmond from Church Hill (daguerreotype) <br /> [Franklin Street [Grace?] at center; buildings pictured include, from proper right: First Baptist Church, domed City Hall (c. 1818), First Presbyterian Church spire (1853-54); Governor&apos;s House; St. Paul&apos;s Church (c. 1845); Virginia State Capitol; Second Presbyterian Church; Christ Church Episcopal in foreground (burned in 1856); Lumpkin&apos;s Jail complex visible in center of middle ground] <br /> c. 1855 <br /> *oldest photographic view of Richmond* <br />
  • V.45.28.386 <br /> Lumpkin&apos;s Jail <br /> From History of the Richmond Theological Seminary, 1870 <br /> Hibbs Collection <br />
  • Ballard and Exchange Hotels <br /> Taken 1874-1882 <br />
  • 45.130.105 <br /> Main Street flood, looking west from 17th <br /> 1886 <br />
  • V.52.1.23 <br /> Main Street looking west from 1901 E. Main Street <br /> 1865-1870 <br /> Library of Congress photograph <br />
  • X.46.1.293 <br /> Southern Literary Messenger Building <br /> Early 20th century <br />
  • V.46.38.391 <br /> Masonic Hall <br /> 1805 E. Franklin <br /> March 22, 1890 <br />
  • X.46.1.263 <br /> Pace-King House, 205 N. 19th Street <br /> c. 1897 <br />
  • Cook Collection no number <br /> Beth Shalome, Mayo Street <br /> Later merged with Beth Ahabah <br /> Late 19th century <br />
  • Hebrew Cemetery, <br /> 1930s. <br /> SW corner of Franklin and 21st Streets <br /> 54.1.33 <br /> Mary Wingfield Scott Collection, Valentine Richmond History Center <br />
  • V.52.1.36, Market, looking west at 1700 block of E. Franklin Street <br /> c. 1905 <br /> Library of Congress photo <br />
  • FIC.022466 <br /> Open Air Market Scene, (Franklin St. E. From 17th St.), Richmond, Va. <br /> Postcard <br /> Early 20th century <br />
  • 245 cook <br /> 17th Street Market, north side of market <br /> Early 20th Century <br />
  • 247 cook <br /> First Market, 1700 E. Main Street <br /> September 1914 <br />
  • V.92.133.04 <br /> Whitlock Branch- P. Lorillard Company tobacco warehouse <br /> c.1920 <br />
  • Main Street Station <br /> c. 1920 <br />
  • X.46.1.75 <br /> City Jail <br /> c. 1935 <br />
  • V.48.17.86.02 <br /> Tobacco Row <br /> 1947-48 <br />
  • V.46.38.69 <br /> Dump Behind CSA White House <br /> Late 19th century <br />
  • V_58_146_24, [Turnpike&apos;s Path] , Colognori, Joseph; Richmond Newspapers, Inc., construction of the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike; arrows have been drawn on the print to show the proposed pathway of the road through Shockoe Valley <br /> March 10, 1957 <br />
  • V_58_202_78 “Governor Looks at Construction in Shockoe Valley, the men look out of the front window of a bus, towards road construction in Shockoe Valley, toward the Marshall Street viaduct; clipping on verso of print identifies one of the men as the governor of Virginia (Thomas Stanley). <br /> May 9, 1957 <br />
  • V_58_146_15, “Toll Road Swings Around Main Street Station” <br /> September 22, 1957 <br />
  • V.62.109.84 <br /> [Main Street Station in the Snow] <br /> c.1962 <br /> Richmond Times-Dispatch Photograph Collection <br />
  • P_72_40_09 <br /> Main Street Station flooded after Hurricane Camille <br /> 1969 <br /> Bill Lane, photographer <br />
  • L_69_48_05, 17th and Main Streets flooded, Hurricane Camille <br /> August 22, 1969 <br />
  • P.74.11.13a <br /> Marshall Street Viaduct <br /> November 29, 1972 <br /> Richmond Times-Dispatch Photograph Collection <br />
  • V_85_37_19, Shockoe Bridge Under Constuction <br /> January 22, 1974 <br />
  • V_91_4_159, 17th Street Farmers Market Under Construction <br /> July 23, 1986 <br /> Carl Lynn, photographer <br /> Richmond Times-Dispatch Collection <br />
  • V_86_206_02, Customers at 17th Street Market <br /> August 7, 1975 <br /> Don Pennell, photographer <br /> Richmond Times-Dispatch Collection <br />
  • V_91_4_272, Main Street Station from Jefferson Park <br /> November 14, 1988 <br /> Don Long, photographer <br /> Richmond Times-Dispatch Collection <br />
  • V.91.04.1543 <br /> "Paint-a-Thon" sponsored by the Task Force for Historic Preservation at 2106 East Broad Street. <br /> August 26, 1989 <br /> Don Pennell, photographer <br /> Richmond Times-Dispatch Collection <br />
  • V.2007.61.2116 <br /> Beer Fest <br /> c. 2000 <br />
  • V.2006.21.168 <br /> Photographer, Maurice Duke <br /> November 3, 2004 <br />
  • V.2006.21.160 <br /> [Edgar Allen Poe Museum] <br /> September 24, 2004 <br />
  • V.2006.21.472 <br /> Omohundro Slave Jail Site (Winfree Cottage) <br /> June 7, 2003 <br />
  • V.2008.57.27 <br /> Club Velvet, 2008 <br />
  • V.2012.25.33 <br /> Club Velvet, 2010 <br />
  • “Rainbow over Main Street” <br /> Borrowed from the Valentine Richmond History Center Facebook page <br /> From pearlring.tumblr.com <br />
  • Jewish Cemetery, 2013 <br />

Community Conversation - Shockoe Bottom's Future Community Conversation - Shockoe Bottom's Future Presentation Transcript

  • Shockoe Bottom’s Future