By: Ms. Susan M. PojerBy: Ms. Susan M. PojerHorace Greeley HS Chappaqua,Horace Greeley HS Chappaqua,NYNY
IslamAn AbrahamicReligion Muslims are strict monotheists. They believe in the Judeo-Christian God, which they callAllah. Muslims believe that the Torahand the Bible, like the Qur’an,is the word of God.Peoples of the BookPeoples of the Book
The Prophetic TraditionAdamNoahAbrahamMosesJesusMuhammad
The Origins of the Qur’an Muhammad received his firstrevelation from the angelGabriel in the Cave of Hira in 610. 622 Hijrah Muhammadflees Mecca for Medina.* The beginning of theMuslim calendar (1 A.H.) Muhammad’s revelations werecompiled into the Qur’an afterhis death.
The Qur’an Muslims believe it contains theword of God. 114 suras (chapters). In the name of Allah,the compassionate,the merciful. Writtenin Arabic.
1. The Shahada1 The testimony. The declaration of faith:There is no god worthy ofThere is no god worthy ofworship except God, andworship except God, andMuhammad is HisMuhammad is HisMessenger [or Prophet].Messenger [or Prophet].
2. The Salat2 The mandatory prayersperformed 5 times a day:* dawn* noon* late afternoon* sunset* before going to bed Wash before praying. Face Mecca and use a prayer rug.
2. The Salat2 The call to prayer by themuezzin in the minaret. Pray in the mosque on Friday.
3. The Zakat3 Almsgiving (charitabledonations). Muslims believe that all thingsbelong to God. Zakat means both “purification”and “growth.” About 2.5% of your income.
4. The Sawm4 Fasting during the holy monthof Ramadan. Considered a method of self-purification. No eating or drinking fromsunrise to sunset duringRamadan.
Eid MubarakEnd of the Ramadan holiday.
5. The Hajj5 The pilgrimage to Mecca. Must be done at least once in aMuslim’s lifetime. 2-3 million Muslims make thepilgrimageeveryyear.
5. The Hajj5 Those who complete thepilgrimage can add the titlehajji to their name.
The Dar al-Islam1 2 3 4 5The WorldThe Worldof Islamof Islam
The Mosque The Muslim place of worship.
The Dome of the RockMosque in JerusalemMount Moriah Rockwhere Muhammad ascended into heaven.
Other Islamic ReligiousPractices Up to four wives allowed at once. No alcohol or pork. No gambling. Sharia body of Islamic law toregulate daily living. Three holiest cities in Islam:* Mecca, Medina, Jerusalem.
Essential Question:Why was Islamable to spread soquickly and convertso many to thenew religion?
The Spread of Islam Easy to learn and practice. No priesthood. Teaches equality. Non-Muslims, who were “Peoples ofthe Book,” were allowed religiousfreedom, but paid additional taxes. Easily “portable” nomads & traderoutes. Jihad (“Holy War”) against pagansand other non-believers (“infidels”).
Muslims in theWorldToday
Countries with the LargestMuslim Population1. Indonesia 183,000,000 6. Iran 62,000,0002. Pakistan 134,000,000 7. Egypt 59,000,0003. India 121,000,000 8. Nigeria 53,000,0004. Bangladesh 114,000,000 9. Algeria 31,000,0005. Turkey 66,000,000 10. Morocco 29,000,000* Arabs make up only 20% of the totalMuslim population of the world.
Muslims in America
Muslim Culture inNYCThe Islamic Center, New York City