There are 10,000,000 employers in America. There are more than 500,000 corporate web sites with jobs on them. There are 42,000 job boards on the Internet Monster has 0.75% market share and it’s the largest. There are 174,532 Headhunters in America, handling $195B in transactions per year. We don’t talk to each other. It’s a fragmented market at best – only a small number of jobs are ever known about!
This was my little brother, by the way. I experiment on my family all the time; it’s like I’m 5 and he’s 4 again – hey, c’mere, eat this.
Let’s build a Dream Board right now for somebody! I’m thinking of a number between 1-100 ….
#5. Here’s a question: How do you ace the job interview for American Idol? The same way any Guerrilla aces a job interview …
1. PUT MICHIGAN BACK TO WORK How to find a job in tough times: Guerrilla Job Search Secrets Revealed
2. Some Background …Times are tough in Michigan: 15.6% unemployment, mostly in one sectorTimes have been tough elsewhere, like Ottawa: 65% unemployment in one sector in 2006Guerrilla tactics work in tough times
3. Now, Let’s Talk About YOUHousekeeping Notes: “77 Guerrilla Job Search Tactics” Bonus Report and “Interview Secrets” Audio will come by email Please turn off cell phones 
4. Why Listen to Us?35 years of experiencebetween us20,000+ people helped in50 states and 23 countries4+ books, newspapercolumn, radio, TV
5. Why Is David’s Editor Worried?
6. Today’s Agenda1. Where have all the good jobs gone?2. What is Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters?3. 6 Powerful Guerrilla Job Search Secrets4. Your Questions & Answers5. 7 More Guerrilla Job Search Secrets
7. First … Where have all the good jobs gone?Hint: If you’re “applying” for jobs, you’re a starving penguin …
8. Where Have All The Good Jobs Gone?Advertised jobs are hereGood jobs are here
9. Now … What isGuerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters?
10. Guerrilla = Unconventional In doubt? Try the opposite Marketing = Finding and selling Marketing 101 is Job Search 401!
11. Get Ready For 6 PowerfulGuerrilla Job Search Secrets!
12. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #1How one man found a job paying$130,000 after writing one simple thing on a piece of paper …
13. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #1“On Tuesday, May 24th, I attended the job fair at the Convention Center. I started working today (July 26) as a consultant, at $65 per hour, at a Fortune 500 company not far from home. Thanks!” -- Fred W., Chanhassen, Minnesota
14. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #1Tactic: Guerrilla Goal Card Step 1: Complete this statement:“It’s October 31, 2009. I’m an outstanding JOB TITLE who adds value for my employer. I’m making $SALARY in a fun environment, doing work I love, with co- workers I enjoy.”
15. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #1 Step 2: Carry your “goal card” and read it aloud three times a day: 1. When you awake 2. At lunch 3. Before bed
16. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #2“Coffee Cup Caper” technique thatgets interviews in 48 hours -- or less!
17. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #2“The Coffee Cup Caper”
18. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #2“Coffee Cup Caper” Results: 3 boxes mailed = 3 phone interviews 1 in-person interview = HIRED!Cost: $100 (you can spend less)Time to hire: 34 days
19. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #2Tactic: Coffee Cup Caper1) Choose 1 target company. Find the name of the job and the hiring manager. Bonus: Know assistant’s name.
20. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #22) Monday: Send the following in a FedEx box: Coffeecup (Starbucks, Caribou, etc.) Customized cover letter Resume (Guerrilla Resume is best!) Optional: travel mug, $5 gift card
21. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #23) Wednesday: Call and ask, “Did you get my package?” Write, practice and use a script, in case you get voicemail Ask for an interview!
22. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #2What is the sound of success? This is …
23. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #2 Now, an answer to the question … “What if everyone in Michigan mails a damn coffee cup?!” Paper weight + call Aspirin taped to cover letter + call Thank-you note + call (ALWAYS CALL)In doubt? Test it out.
24. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #3Why should you call an employer when the job posting says, “No phone calls”?
25. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #3 Because nobody else is.So you’ll get an instant advantage by customizing your cover letter.
26. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #3Tactic: Use this phone script!“I’m writing a letter to the head of your ____ Dept. Could I have the correct spelling of that person’s name please?”Alternate version (also 22 words)“I’m writing a letter to the person in charge of ____. Could I have the correct spelling of that person’s name please?”
27. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #4 How to “think and get hired,” based on a forgotten discovery made by Soviet scientists …
28. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #4 From 1956 to 1980, the USSR was virtually unbeatable in Olympic gymnastics. How did they do it? (apart from steroids) Mental imagery training – visualization! Besides training physically, they trained mentally, rehearsing hundreds of times.(Source: “Mental Training for Peak Performance,” pp. 41-45)
29. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #4 Your brain thinks in pictures. Thinking in pictures -- visualization -- helps your brain achieve goals. Visualization works! But you’ve never tried it to find a job … until now.
30. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #4
31. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #4Tactic: Visualize your next job! Collect pictures, search Google images Create a “dream board” Visualize at least twice a day (every spare moment is best)
32. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #5The simple way to make absolutely,positively sure that hiring managers get your resume by email …
33. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #5There are 5! After emailing it … Call to verify Hand-deliver (you or someone else!) Mail it (try a thank-you note!) Fax it FedEx it
34. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #6 “5-Minute Networking” method -- as easy as tying your shoes …
35. Guerrilla Job Search Secret #6Tactic: 5-Minute Networking Choose 1 well-connected person Outlook, speed dial, LinkedIn Call them tomorrow using the script … or call in the next 10 min., to win $20!
36. Guerrilla Job Search Secrets Q&A Time!
37. And Now … 7 MoreGuerrilla Job Search Secrets!
38. 7 Guerrilla Job Search Secrets1) Start with clarity2) Network like a Guerrilla3) Let other people “sell” you4) Send a Guerrilla Resume5) Send a Guerrilla Cover Letter6) Use social networks7) Start work before you’re hired
39. 7 Guerrilla Job Search Secrets“If you don’t know where you’re going, you might wind up someplace else” - Yogi Berra #1 Start with clarity
40. #1: Start with Clarity2 ways to start with clarity …1) Job Title (or 3 skills)2) 20 EmployersTactic: “Hack” into Monster …
41. #1: Start with ClarityMonster says … writing + training + German = 11 jobs and employers marketing + environment + communications = 2,014 jobs social media + anything = 508 jobs
42. #1: Start with ClarityPossible job titles (and employers)writing + training + German German Help Desk Analyst (Volt Workforce Solutions) Customer Service Associate (Abbott Laboratories) Web Editor/Writer (Sandvik Publishing)
43. 7 Guerrilla Job Search SecretsNew jobs are like new cars …
45. #2: Network like a Guerrilla Contact the “recently departed”• Google company name and “resume” to find resumes of former employees• Call those people and ask about: 1. person you would work for 2. department they run 3. company itself
46. #2: Network like a Guerrilla Now. Here’s what you’re thinking… “WHAT???!!?? “ You want me to cold call?”1) You are NOT selling anything2) Leave voicemails at 5:30 am
47. No achievements? No experience? No problem …#3 Let other people “sell” you!
48. #3: Let Other People “Sell” YouHow can other people “sell” you? Testimonials!
49. #3: Let Other People “Sell” YouFrom a student’s profile on LinkedIn “Bob immediately impressed me as articulate, intelligent, and self-motivated. More than that, I’ve seen ample evidence that Bob gets things done, which is a quality lacking in most people.” February 20, 2009
50. #3: Let Other People “Sell” You… re-used on your résumé … Reviewer said: “Bob immediately impressed me as articulate, intelligent, and self-motivated. More than that, I’ve seen ample evidence that Bob gets things done, which is a quality lacking in most people.” (2009)
51. #3: Let Other People “Sell” You… and in your cover letter!P.S. – Call me today to learn why one reviewer said: “Bob immediately impressed me as articulate, intelligent, and self-motivated. More than that, I’ve seen ample evidence that Bob gets things done, which is a quality lacking in most people.” (2009)
52. #3: Let Other People “Sell” YouTactic: Get 1 testimonial!1) Got LinkedIn?2) Got letters? Emails? Awards?3) Call someone to ask (use the script)
53. Don’t send a resume … #4 Send a Guerrilla Resume!
54. Ordinary Resume = Ordinary Results
55. Guerrilla Resume = Sexy!
56. Which Is More Attractive?
57. #4: Send a Guerrilla Resume The Major Parts Objective (2 lines at most; hook reader!) Achievements (3-5 bullets) Experience (go back 15 years; relevant!) Education (relevant degrees) Additional Information (relevant only!) Logos and Quotes:  employers, schools, organizations
58. Don’t send a cover letter … #5 Send a Guerrilla Cover Letter!
59. #5 Send a Guerrilla Cover Letter How? Start reading your JUNK MAIL for ideas
60. #5 Send a Guerrilla Cover Letter#1 Get Attention1. Personalize! NEVER, EVER write: “Dear Sir or Madam”2. Drop a name! “I spoke with Heather in your office about the position of …”
61. #5 Send a Guerrilla Cover Letter#2 Focus on the ReaderChange I, me, my, to … You, You, YOU!
62. #5 Send a Guerrilla Cover LetterWrong:“I can offer you my 10 years of experience”Right:“You will benefit from my 10 years of experience, which can grow profits for your team”
63. #5 Send a Guerrilla Cover Letter#3 Include a P.S.Examples: P.S. – Please call me today to learn how I saved $97,455 for my employer in 2008. P.S. – Call me today to learn why one reviewer said: “I’ve seen ample evidence that Bob gets things done, a quality lacking in most people.” (2009)
64. Q. What’s the easiest way to find a job? A. Have a job find you!#6 Use social networks!
65. #6: Use Social Networks ZoomInfo.com and the“secret lives” of recruiters …
66. #6: Use Social Networks
67. #6: Use Social Networks! Spotlight on Make a promise in your headline:  “I save money for high-tech firms by _____.”  “I increase efficiency up to 32% by ____.” Prove claims (recommendations, numbers) Show off expertise (link to blogs, PowerPoints) Note: It may your first job interview Goal: Turn virtual connections into real meetings!
68. #6: Use Social Networks!Tactic 1: Invite us to connect with you on LinkedIn!Tactic 2: Choose 5 people to ask for a recommendation!
69. 7 Guerrilla Job Search SecretsHow do you ace this job interview?
70. The same way a Guerrilla aces any job interview … #7 Start workbefore you’re hired!
71. #7: Start Work Before You’re Hired1. Research the company -- find out needs, problems, and opportunities …2. Research the job -- find out about the work you would do …3. Start work before you’re hired!
72. #7: Start Work Before You’re HiredExamples: Proofreader -- found typos Marketing analyst -- wrote white paper What can YOU do before you’re hired to prove your skills?
73. Guerrilla Case Study!Scene: Ottawa, Ontario, 2006 …How two laid-off Guerrillas got: 29 job interviews and 7 job offers In a city with 65% unemployment!
74. Guerrilla Case Study! The “Force Multiplier” Effect1. Target list of 38 employers2. Direct mail campaign3. Guerrilla Resumes4. Web site5. Blog6. Podcast series7. Press releases sent to newspapers8. White papers sent to CEOs9. Public speaking10. Email and fax campaign
75. Direct Mail: Coffee Cup Caper 1.0! Box with coffee cup, business card, andinvitation to coffee … with Tim Horton’s certificate for “virtual” meeting option.
76. Web site and Blog: Same theme as other elements
77. Guerrilla Case Study!Repeating, for emphasis …Two laid-off Guerrillas used the “Force Multiplier” Effect to get: 29 job interviews and 7 job offers In a city with 65% unemployment!
78. Finally, How to Get Hired Faster … Guerrilla Job Search “Special Tactics” … Reinforce what you’ve learned Get personal help from us You can NOT make a mistake
79. PUT MICHIGAN BACK TO WORK How to find a job in tough times: Guerrilla Job Search Secrets Revealed
80. PUT MICHIGAN BACK TO WORK GUERRILLA Job Search Secrets Revealed