Dramatically improves medication
adherence, through wireless packaging,
reminders, reports, and rewards.
2. GlowCaps are recognized as important and innovative
3. This is what non-adherence looks like...
Each row is person, each column is a day. Red indicates a missed dose.
4. This is what adherence looks like with GlowCaps
5. cost effective
Existing studies have quantified the cost-
savings of high medication adherence:
Low adherence High adherence savings per
care costs care costs year
Diabetes $8,867 $4,570 $4,297 48%
$6,888 $3,924 $2,964 43%
$10,916 $6,752 $4,164 38%
$16,498 $8,886 $7,612 46%
Medical Care, 2005, vol. 43, no6, pp. 521-530 SOKOL Michael C. ; MCGUIGAN Kimberly A. ; VERBRUGGE Robert R. ; EPSTEIN Robert S.
6. Source: IMS Health
7. Chronic disease aﬀects 25% of adults in the US,
yet most take medication 50% of the time.
8. Simple to use
• Plug it in to connect
• No PC, phone, or Internet required
• One-button refill
9. 1) Pharmacist deliver your medication in a
GlowCap and explains how it works.
“The smart pill cap will help you to remember with
light, sound, and if you want, a reminder call.”
10. 2) At home, you plug in the reminder light.
11. 3) Every day, the GlowCap and reminder light
flash for an hour, then play a ring tone every few
minutes until you open the GlowCap.
12. 4) If you forget, Vitality can call to remind you.
13. 5) Weekly emails show which days you did,
or didn’t, take a medication.
14. 6) Every month you receive a printed
progress report in the mail.
15. 7) Cap embeds a “Push to refill” button
16. Vitality addresses each of the root causes of non-adherence
Adherence Issue Vitality’s Approach
Forgetfulness Reminders escalate from subtle to insistent
Poor Education Personalized interactive media educates
No Social Support Progress is shared with a buddy
No Accountability Reports inform your doctor, via e-health record
Refill Inconvenience Refill requests automatically flow into pharmacy
Low Motivation Rewards motivate via loss aversion
17. Vitality addresses each of the root causes of non-adherence
18. Working with Vitality: What you receive
1) GlowCaps and Services
• Wireless GlowCaps and Reminder light (cellular gateway)
• Missed-dose calls
• Weekly email summaries
• Monthly printed reports mailed to patients’ homes
2) Program Support
• Dedicated IT administrative portal
• eMail and printed reports customization
• Customer surveys (periodic)
3) Access to Real-Time Reports
• Sort by condition, medication, member number, MPR, mean refill
frequency, demographics, etc.
• Consolidated physician reporting across patients
617 517 6037
One Broadway, 14th floor
Cambridge, MA 02142
22. Medicine Bottle Cap with Embedded Curved Display
Medicine Bottle Cap with Embedded Trigger for Refilling
24. Medication Compliance System, Method and Devices with
Configureable and Adaptable Escalation Engine
Local End Back end
(e.g., Patient’s home)
111 110 116
Cap 106 Database
108 System Algorithm
Container Rules /
25. Our patented learning engine adapts to the motivational
profile of each GlowCap owner to tailor services.
1. Enroll 2. Ingest 3. Survey 4. Observe Intervention plans
Patients via Demographic Attitudinal features Patterns of behavior Programs to motivate behavioral
pharmacy partner features. (ongoing) change. Each intervention activates a
specific personalty type, and has an
associated $ and duration.
Strong social norming message
Modality preference: SMS, paper
statistically matches Doctor information sharing
Profiles dB interventions to people,
minimizing price while
People features optimizing behavioral
and usage history outcomes.
Each individual is prescribed a tailored plan.
27. Pharma Vitality targets chronic asymptomatic
conditions worth billions in drug sales
28. Pharma Vitality targets chronic asymptomatic
conditions worth billions in drug sales
29. Pharma The market opportunity for a 25% lift in
adherence amounts to over $24B.
The pharma market opportunity in
heart disease alone is over $24B.