1. Building the
David Lee King
Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library
2. Deﬁning the
3. about the library no collection
no staff no interaction
4. it’s about the library...
it's not THE library
5. digital branch...
6. a digital branch has...
7. a digital branch has...
8. real staff
9. a digital branch has...
10. real collection
11. a digital branch has...
12. real community
13. a digital branch
is the actual library,
14. A Guide to
15. What is usability?
16. Creating your test: Questions
• ﬁgure out what to test
• create a question that tests that
• write speciﬁc questions
17. Test Description
• “The goal of this study is to evaluate how
people ﬁnd information using our website. I
will ask 15 questions and would like you to
think out loud while looking for the answer. I
will time you, and will stop you after 3 minutes
have passed. Don’t worry if you can’t ﬁnd the
answer every time–we are testing our Web
site, not you! Each answer can be found
using the library’s Web site. The test should
take no more than 20 minutes. Do you have
19. Administer the test
• Think of this step as the consumer
• Administering the test is the easiest
part of a usability study.
• read the explanation, whip out your
stopwatch, and say “go.”
21. Here are some common types of
problems you’ll ﬁnd:
• Wording Problems
• Design Problems
• Complete your usability test, redesign,
and then … do it all again.