Brief introduction/abstract - DJ Briefly define #pstn, describe it as a "failure". Explain aim of this session is to generate ideas for improvement- #pstn origins part i) - ST Essentially tell Sarah's and Lauren's origin stories- #pstn origins part ii) - DJ Tell Lauren's and David's origin stories- #pstn how it worked i) - ST Describe the hootcourse, operation etc... Including how this bit didn't really happen. - #pstn how it worked ii) - DJ Explain how it worked at USQ (briefly)- Why? - DJ Open it up to the audience to give reasons- Why - ii)? - DJ Nutritionist and the chasm- How to do it better Run the ritual dissent process
1. #pstn: engaging pre-service teachers in the Twitterverse Narelle Lemon (@rellypops) – RMIT Sarah Thorneycroft (@sthcrft) – UNE David Jones (@djplaner) – USQ Lauren Forner (@laurenforner) – Deniliquin High Schoolhttp://moourl.com/pstnPaper
2. Overview Origins Solution Outcomes Why? What next?http://www.flickr.com/photos/atbaker/1577665185/
9. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_yo/3518155367/ However, while quite a few UNE students investigat #pstn, few actually joined the project to participate
10. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_yo/3518155367/ What was evident was that many struggled in seeing Twitter as a social media for professional use having been indoctrinated with use of other mediums for personal sharing of content.
11. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_yo/3518155367/ ..interactedin different ways – many in class time an others when they were reminded while a few becam regular sharers of content both class related and professionally related.
12. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_yo/3518155367/ Only a small handful of students have started using Twitter, with a similar number starting an individual blog. Participation in #pstn has been very limited.
15. We learn what we do Dewey http://moourl.com/theChasmhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Technology-Adoption-Lifecycle.png
16. Atrribute #PSTN Developers Majority of StudentsSocial media Long-term users of Twitter Any social mediaexperience for PLN experience = Facebook for personal reasonsFocus Helping PSTs build Pass their current course networks to aid their for which #pstn may be a transition into the work requirement forceRisk taking Willing to take risks Averse to taking risksExperimentation Willing and keen to Prefer proven and known experiment applicationsNeed for Self-sufficient Require supportassistance
17. Atrribute #PSTN Developers Majority of StudentsSocial media Long-term users of Twitter Any social mediaexperience for PLN experience = Facebook for personal reasons Do the students see themselvesFocus as pre-service PSTs build Helping teachers? Pass their current course networks to aid their for which #pstn may be a transition into the work requirement forceRisk taking Willing to take risks Averse to taking risksExperimentation Willing and keen to Prefer proven and known experiment applicationsNeed for Self-sufficient Require supportassistance
21. Proposal To enable learners to develop PL(N|E)s in the context of your course/unit/teaching. #pst n Chose a context Your own imaginaryhttp://cognitive-edge.com/library/methods/ritual-dissent-basic/
22. Presentation to management 1. Volunteer audio recorder 2. Select a Presenterhttp://cognitive-edge.com/library/methods/ritual-dissent-basic/
23. Presentation to management 1. Presenter moves clockwise 2. 5 minute presentation 3. Turn your chair around and listen 4. Flame on (ignore the presenter) 5. Return to group and share 6. Repeathttp://cognitive-edge.com/library/methods/ritual-dissent-basic/