- Opens up your mind. Brings new ideas, new paradigms.
- Woo! a word keynote doesn&#x2019;t know about! - Multiple paths + multiple ideas spontaneously developed create a stigmergy. - Even though stigmergy only creates a &#x201C;seemingly&#x201D; intelligent group, let&#x2019;s use the metaphor/example of termite&#x2019;s nests.
- Marco Dorigo 1992 ACO: Ant Colony Optimization
- ACO in action. Relation?
- Blitz at the top. - Green is the one behind #2
- People interact, people solve problems together. Groups develop shared memories (mailing lists, IRC Logs, wikis, bug tracking systems) &#x2014;&#xA0;distributed collaborative intelligence High CiQ: group moderation, small set of rules, creative thinking, strong group, quality control, documentation (memories).
- It&#x2019;s about collaboration but more importantly: - Being open: Discuss issues in public - Peering: Modify what doesn&#x2019;t fit. Interact with other developers. - Sharing: Ideas, concepts (This is scary for enterprise) - Global activity: This is a big world but on the internet, there are not territorial boundaries and there&#x2019;s a lot of talent and people with great experiences.
- Studied what appears to be the Elite and 1% of the healthiest students rather than the actual average people discriminating against crippled, stupid people, etc. - Top of the pyramid is (Self-actualisation &#x2014; the need to solve problems and then &#x201C;esteem&#x201D; the need to accomplish something (Self-fulfillment, what others think, being respected by others.) (A kid winning some spelling contest or a sports event)
- Talented developers, used to remote working, used to team interaction, used to
Developers are the core of the startup, they are the heart, they are the ones spending nights-in making the next awesome feature &#x2014; treat them with respect &#x2014; self-growth.
OSS is like sports. It&#x2019;s not a job (Well sometimes it is) but for many it&#x2019;s a hobby, a passion.
- It&#x2019;s not only code. It&#x2019;s community, experience, comments, bug reports, etc.
- Bleh... has to be said.
- Think culture, think self-fulfillment, think about your position in the market and think about others.