Competency - based Instruction (FACILITATING LEARNING) Presented by: Dave Jay Manriquez Rowell Panuncial
Subject: Medical-Surgical Nursing Degree: MN-MS UNIT: Nursing Care Management ( Care of client with Physiologic and Psychosocial alterations ) Caring of Post/Op patient who undergone Below the knee Amputation due to Diabetes Mellitus in preventing Post/Op complications and its psychosocial effects of the client.
Competencies: 1. Safe and Quality Nursing Care – Setting priority measures in rendering care to the patient by having discussion with the members of the health team. 2. Safe and Quality Nursing Care – Promoting Safety regarding patient condition. (Patient based practice) 3. Health Education – Doing Bedside Health Teaching involving the client and immediate significant others of the client explaining his conditions and some measures to prevent complications for faster healing Elements Objectives
1. Assess patient needs, like changing the limb dressings after every 3 days or whenever the dressings is very soak already with blood.
2. Assess patient diet by giving him the right kind of food like avoiding sugars, promoting fiber rich foods and avoiding alcohol.
1. Place the patient in a prone position or the best position the patient is comfortable and remember to always place a side rail on the affected side to prevent falls.
2. Assess patient pain tolerance by preparing always the pain assessment tool so that you will know when to give pharmacologic interventions and remember to treat individual uniquely in regarding pain tolerance.
1. Orient the patient to reality regarding his condition and inform his significant others that bleeding in the site should be reported and inform also that the patient might experience phantom limb pain and phantom limb sensation which is normal to amputated patient.
2. Assess the patient learning capabilities by letting him ask questions, clarifications regarding the health teaching that you rendered.
Procedural Knowledge – enough knowledge, skills, abilities and perfect execution on things to be done in caring a Post/Op Below the Knee Amputated patient. All actions to be perform by a nurse must be SMART in nature. There must always a nurse – patient/Significant others interactions during the care treatment.